Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 34

Author Topic: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.  (Read 47327 times)

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
Re: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.
« Reply #405 on: December 06, 2015, 03:51:25 pm »

Check again, jobs are open for all now, not just newbs.

Also, my walls are by far not the worst ones!  :P
I actually do try to shorten them or limit myself when I can, but sometimes there's just no way to effectively communicate a message without some explanation. Maybe it's because I often have to organize things that my wallness factor is rather high? Then again, I fully expect pw to punish me whenever he gets sick of it, and I can roll with the punches most of the time, so it's all good.
I knew that the jobs were open to all. I think the jobs that would best be handled by senior players should be marked as such. or perhaps should have poll threads to determine what advice would be best put in a brief tutorial. That kind of thing.

Eh, I dunno, a long time lurker might still be able to write good guides despite not actually having played the game. My idea was to have the community here have some input as to whether or not a guide would be deemed 'good enough' to warrant payment (though I'd keep the executive decision on that of course, in case it's not unanimous). The person writing the thing could then go around asking people for what content should or shouldn't be there.

So I'm eyeing the newb guide, seeing as I am a newb that has mostly managed to absorb the important advice but still remembers what the newb guide didn't help with.

I think I could do a good job of drastically cutting down on all the prose, but since that's a rather radical proposition I figured I'd provide some advance warning.

Need some input:
- Giving tips on stat/skill distribution, yay or nay (I lean very strongly to a yay on this one but I could be convinced otherwise)
- Roleplaying a character with a Cha penalty like they're an eloquent, convincing leader, yay or nay? Ie, do we approve? Jim, frex, was a very charismatic and lovable dude who ran around with a Cha penalty, and Miya oughta have had a level or two in Cha from the get-go given how he actually managed to herd cats somewhat; so it's always seemed to me like it's a window-dressing stat and nothing more.

For the first, maybe we could stick that on the 'stats and skills' page, and mention that this info is there on the newbie page? For the second, yeaaah, it's kind of a longstanding problem, where we don't force people to roleplay according to their charisma scores. I'd say something like that is up to the gm though, and when pw wants he could still start rolling for char more in npc interactions.

Maybe we should stick the story summary on a separate page, and drop a link in the newbie section? Or hide it behind a spoiler so it doesn't take up half the page?

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Nikitian

• Bay Watcher
  • ~_~
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 06, 2015, 04:15:38 pm »

I've always imagined that it had to do with the person's looks (maybe even sounds or smells - a meatling with -2 Cha might be extremely eloquent yet still stink) or the ineffable actual real-world 'charisma' (driving lifeforce, ability to lead without reason, etc.).

And, frankly, I'd say Jim is a counter-argument here. Yes, he had high Charisma, but I remember him mostly a bit lonely and interacting with people only when forced to (with a few notable exceptions); maybe even grumpy and gloomy a bit (because of his constant forays into the realms of existential doubt and also because of having to stand up to power, to lead and to rule - out of necessity, not interest). But he had large Charisma because it was necessary for some of the best amps, not because he was the most social and eloquent person out there. Maybe his emoticons were extra cute?  :D
(The above in no way diminishes that he was cool and, as one of the Bastards, remained a living legend for most of us. Also, it's just my personal memory of the character.)

Which reminds me - Charisma, in a way, is also a stat used to subconsciously understand biology of a person (or an organical being) - based on how organo-amps require it to operate, while the correspoding organo-manips (yes, they exist, I've asked PW sometime ago) require Med instead (or rather, required before the manipulators 2.0 were introduced - not sure about now).
Past Sigs
Nikitian kneels in front of his computer, fresh lamb's blood on his hands, and prays to the dark powers for answers about armor thickness.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #407 on: December 06, 2015, 05:23:33 pm »

About shortening sections: Do what Wikipedia does. Write a short segment that gives the absolutely necessary info and add a link to a longer section. Better than using spoilers because a) it's easier, b) it looks better on phones and c) it cuts down on duplicate entries, meaning you spend less time reading or editing the same thing.

Delete a few pages and cut them apart if it looks like it's needed. Or just remove the bulk of the non-essential data from them and put it in secondary pages.

The armory is probably the one that needs that kind of thong the most. Cut it into categories and then have a section with the most commonly used items in those pages. Then transclude those "most commonly used" items into the main armory page.

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 16, 2015, 09:00:06 am »

So I made page for Origin. A bit bareboned currently, but I believe we have now enough information scattered around to fill it more.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 16, 2015, 06:50:32 pm »

I made a page for Materials because we desperately needed one. So far it just has mythril.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 29, 2015, 03:23:04 pm »

Radio suggested that I copy my death statistics post onto the wiki.  I'm posting here to ask whether other people think that's a good idea; I don't think it's that informative, and it's not the type of thing which changes much over time--it is an average of deaths across the entire game, after all.  I'm willing to put it up and maintain it if people want, but I'd rather not do so if it's just a whim of Radio's. >.>

I really don't want to redo it to account for proper level distribution and death type, but also don't think it's terribly accurate or helpful without that being done.  :\

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 29, 2015, 03:40:37 pm »

It is a fun tidbit. Put it up if ya want to. Or let radio handle it.
I told you to test with colors! But nooo, you just had to go clone mega-Satan or whatever.
Old sigs.
Games.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 29, 2015, 03:41:27 pm »

I like how my offhand suggestions are referred to as 'whims' now  :D

Either way, I do think it's interesting info. If we keep it maintained, then after the next few missions we'll be more easily able to objectively assess if vet (and overall) deaths have indeed increased. And it's not like more statistics are a bad thing. That said, if you don't wanna bother with it, don't feel obliged to, it was just an idea. Do as you feel is best.

Ozarck

• Bay Watcher
  • DiceBane
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 29, 2015, 04:10:46 pm »

No obligation, but I felt the information was interesting enough to make readily accessible, even in "inaccurate" form. just make a note of the found inaccuracies. Someone will edit them.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 29, 2015, 06:26:34 pm »

Done.  Like an idiot, I made in Visual Editor, so all the newlines were broke.  I'll fix it tomorrow, or later today, maybe.  All the information's there, at least.

The page could really be made a lot better, but I'm gonna try and figure out how to make those black-and-green tables before fixing it; Those would work really well for it.

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #415 on: December 29, 2015, 08:44:42 pm »

Hmmm... I bet I could make a script or Java program for that. Just crawl through the character category, download pages, scan them with a few simple regexes or XML parsers and produce some statistics.

No. Bad Paris. I'm already busy, I don't need to give myself more work. I'm already late for my inactive character purge on the wik anyway, if I'm going to do anything I should do that.

Don't mind me, just convincing myself out of doing some work.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 30, 2015, 02:41:39 am »

I like it, though it's indeed a bit of a wall 'o texty right now. Still, seems like a good thing to have around.

Paris, don't sweat it, arguing oneself out of work is a time honored tradition. Hell, I'm doing it right now (nooo, I don't need to get to studying just yet, there's ER posts to make).
« Last Edit: December 30, 2015, 02:43:11 am by Radio Controlled »

AoshimaMichio

• Bay Watcher
  • Space Accountant
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 12, 2016, 03:28:07 pm »

((There's a note on the wiki saying that probes which travel for awhile in null universes are lost.  Where did that information come from?  I haven't found any PW post saying that.))

Ozarck should know since he's the one who made that edit.
Old sigs.
Games.

swordsmith04

• Bay Watcher
  • Communist Gnome
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 16, 2016, 12:30:39 pm »

Well. Seems I fucked up. Wikia refuses to show me edits made before October 9th, and wiki gnome payment is from July 1st. Technically the wiki only gives you options to look *30* days back, but it'll accept up to 91 if you fiddle with the url inputs. I eventually ended up getting wikia to cough up the data by going through each user's contributions page, but that obviously doesn't work for edits made without signing in to an account.
So, with the above in mind, here's the data for wiki contributions between July 1st and January 15th:

NAV made 761 edits to the wiki; they received 6 tokens for 214 edits last time.
AoshimaMichio made 467 edits to the wiki; he received 7 tokens for 320 edits last time.
Parisbre56 made 263 edits to the wiki; he received 8 tokens for 462/~200 plus templates edits last time.
Radio Controlled made 166 edits to the wiki; he received 1 token for 23 edits last time.
Nikitian made 137 edits to the wiki; he received no tokens for 5 edits last time.
Comrade P made 134 edits (74 of which for The Infinite Heavens) to the wiki; he received 1 token for 39 edits last time.
Swordsmith04 made 108 edits to the wiki; I received 6 tokens for 202 edits last time.

Kriellya made 53 edits to the wiki. Syvarris made 31 edits to the wiki. Nunzillor made 24 edits to the wiki. Caellath made 23 edits to the wiki. Dutrius made 15 edits to the wiki. Spazyak made 11 edits to the wiki. Ozarck made 11 edits to the wiki.

The following users made less than 10 edits to the wiki:
SeanMirrsen, Unholy_Pariah, Maegil, Illgeo, Moopli, Egan_BW, Aigre, and FunVake.

Also of note is an IP address which has made 12 edits since October 9th. Most of these edits were to Tek or Lordpunch's pages, so I'm assuming that's you, Nunzillor. If so, that boosts you to 36 edits.

[Previous Payment Record]

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 16, 2016, 12:37:48 pm »

Swordsmith, you must have the patience (and work ethic!) of a saint to sift through all that. Major props to you. Did pw ask you to do this?

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 34