Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34

Author Topic: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.  (Read 47333 times)

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
  • I _drink_ stuff older than you!
    • View Profile
Re: ARM Archives: Wiki related stuff and other record keeping.
« Reply #375 on: December 03, 2015, 01:20:28 pm »

Posting here on PW's request; now I know:

I've been advised to repost this here, for Radio_Controlled:

I've done the summary for mission 10 and posted it on the wiki (a native speaker review to hunt for grammar problems would be in order). It took me almost every free hour of four days to get it done - even the advanced search filter is nigh useless, so I had to read from from post #669 to #2024, 1356 posts in total across 90 standard forum pages from waking up from stasis to extraction, and there's still 108 pages worth of Mission 11 to be done to earn ONE token.

Nope, it's too much, it becomes obvious why you don't get many volunteers like that, and chances are that the undone summaries pile is only going to get bigger...

May I suggest that you pay instead when mission summaries are completed, at a rate of 1 token for each 1000 posts (and fractions, to make the longer missions and multiple tasks* more appetizing)? Also, while someone might not be willing to create 10 new armory pages for one token, they might do 3 or 4 for 0.1 each to complete a full token along with a summary's remainder. That should make the effort more worthwhile and increase the amount of volunteers to flesh up the wiki.

*e.g. this 1356 posts summary would be worth 1.356 tokens, paying out 1 token and accumulating the 0.356 remainder with the next summary.
Thank you for the work. Make sure to post about it in the archives thread and I'll give you some tokens for it.

BTW, I'm also getting started on mission 11.
What does Maegil have in common with a frag grenade?
Answer: does not suffer fools gladly.

Your friendly mysanthropic machete-toting sail-sailing sailor nut job.
Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: December 03, 2015, 02:11:51 pm »

Normally wiki payment is more for 'upkeep' type jobs, like inventory tracking, while wiki jobs are separate and payed for from the team fund.

Also, I'm not sure why it took that long. Sure, it's a lot of posts, but since you can normally ignore most that aren't pw's, I thought it was manageable (99% is rp chatter or ooc stuff). 30 pages (at 50ppp) is what I used as a vague target. Next to that, quite a few pages already have some content on them, so that can save some work as well. Finally, I recently proposed the '1token/30pages' thing in here, and nobody really seemed to object to it then. I might revise the pay rate sometime in the future, but I'll keep it like it is for now (after all, these are just about the only tokens one can earn without any danger to his character and can be claimed whenever you want).

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: December 03, 2015, 03:22:29 pm »

As you say, you can normally ignore the other posts - but then, you'll miss out on pearls like "it's a double-tap suicide" or the team's sometimes hilarious thought processes (e.g.: why was HMRC called in in the first place or whether to use the nuke or not)... Well, I'll do as you suggest on the next one, it'll certainly go faster that way.

Yet, I still stand by my suggestion to increase the payments and allow fractions to increase the tasks' appeal to possible volunteers.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 03:25:11 pm by Maegil »

Also, a Serial Editor. Just in case, do check my previous post to see if I didn't change or added to it. I do that, a lot...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: December 03, 2015, 03:42:58 pm »

Maybe for the first, but no to the second, I ain't got no time for fractions.

Also, for M10, you missed the whole part about what Faith did inside the palace (her pm's were posted in a thread later on: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108083.msg4567195#msg4567195). Also, nobody apart from Faith ever saw the Radiator Radiant one, the one who fell from the building was a High Guard.

Maegil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: December 03, 2015, 03:53:57 pm »

Maybe for the first, but no to the second, I ain't got no time for fractions.

Also, for M10, you missed the whole part about what Faith did inside the palace (her pm's were posted in a thread later on: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=108083.msg4567195#msg4567195). Also, nobody apart from Faith ever saw the Radiator Radiant one, the one who fell from the building was a High Guard.

Ok, I'm on it.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: December 03, 2015, 04:01:06 pm »

On a related note, I recently thought of another possible wiki job: offer a reward for people to write comprehensive 'guides' with actually helpful info, such as 'guide to medicine' (containing info on types of medical gear and what their use is, explaining the concept of triage, various ways to keep teammate's heads fresh, small tricks like booze clearing amp headaches) or 'guide to anomaly exploring' (aka no don't stick your head in it, use a pole or whatever dangit) or 'list of stuff you can get for free in the armory and which can be useful while not being encumbering'.  Note that info on these should be 'validated', so no rumors or things you thought you heard, but reliable and useful information. Not sure if tone should be more IC or OOC or a mix though.

Thoughts?

By the way Maegil, don't forget to also take a look at the synopsis for M10 and 11 in the mission synopsis overview page.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 04:04:05 pm by Radio Controlled »

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: December 03, 2015, 08:07:41 pm »

That would be a great idea!  Especially with how common newbies are in ER.

I think a the best tone would be IC, as it precludes stuff like "How to abuse PW's limited attention and memory for fun and profit", and lets characters actually pull out the ARM trooper field guide to say "But it said to do this in the guide!".  Then again, an OOC guide would be good just for etiquette; For instance, a lot of people miss the fact that PW prefers actions to be consolidated, and dislikes highly complex conditionals.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: December 04, 2015, 12:29:20 pm »

Thanks for the feedback. I'll try to write up the job descriptions one of these days. As for the ooc tips, we could put those at the end of the new player guide, or make 1 guide that collects ooc info.

I noticed the status of m22 was changed from "minor failure/minor victory" to just minor victory. Remembering the earlier discussion about the mission's (lack of?) succes though, we could use a poll to see what the majority thinks. Or should we just leave it?

Parisbre56

• Bay Watcher
  • I can haz skullz?
    • View Profile
    • parisbre56 Discord
« Reply #383 on: December 04, 2015, 12:41:56 pm »

Only Devestator thought that was a failure, if I remember correctly. And seeing the page's history, he was the one that marked it as a success while I was editing the page. So I don't see much point in voting for it. But if you think it's worth it, sure, do a poll. Or just ask piecewise, since it's his opinion that matters in the end. Or just remove it altogether. It's not like every mission has to be marked as success or failure.

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: December 04, 2015, 01:36:04 pm »

Hmm. Think I might make one, the old one's been on there for a long time anyway. But you're right, it's not that important all things considered. 

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #385 on: December 04, 2015, 10:45:39 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Piecewise or someone else with authority, can Yancy get his ammo?
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: December 05, 2015, 08:51:00 pm »

Okay, I'm sorry, but that post really irks me.  Why is the Sibilus even in the armory, now?  It costs seven tokens, gets 18.75 rounds to the token, and is completely inferior to the 4-token tier of guns.  If you prioritize damage, the Blifle does waaay better, penetrating battlesuit plate and killing the wearer.  The Sibilus can crack battlesuit plate with sustained fire.  If instead you value dakka, the Testament gets 180 rounds to the token, or 202 if you buy the four token mag, while still maintaining better AP capability than the Sibilus; It can outright penetrate battlesuit plate with a 9-volley, and it gets 20 of those to the token.  About the only advantage the Sibilus has is the ability to fire 'special' rounds, but there aren't any made for it, so that doesn't even matter.  Plus, the RGR has access to gauss rifle special bullets, and is cheaper--yes, it is actually slightly weaker, but if power is your concern buy something else.  And no, the Sibilus' super overcharge feature is not an advantage; the gun should break after 20 shots (the same number of 9-volleys in a Testament mag!), and one of those still doesn't penetrate a BS plate.  Just to put the icing on top, none of the other weapons I've listed require an exoskeleton to even use.

You could improve your loadout by selling the damn thing and buying something else with the money you get.  Seriously!

...Oh, yeah, I came here to ask why we have a wiki page titled "World History", which details the timeline of human civilization.  It's a useful page, but the name seems somewhat misleading, considering that the page starts by saying when humans left their world.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • This is. NOT! OVER!
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: December 05, 2015, 09:25:14 pm »

Nice armor penetration stats there, I'm sure that those have any effect on the game at all and totally haven't already been forgotten by PW. :P

NAV

• Bay Watcher
  • I have an idea!
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: December 05, 2015, 09:36:06 pm »

The sibilus in the armoury mostly because we haven't gotten around to moving all the outdated stuff to a different page yet. We should get started on that.

I'm not entirely sure your assessment is correct. As Egan said, VR testing doesn't always line up with field effectiveness, which the Sibilus has been quite effective at so far. And blaster weapons are so overpowered its hardly worth comparing anything else to them. Also the overcharge is definitely an advantage, remember that broken equipment gets repaired after missions so getting more power with a chance to break your weapon is still worth it.

I don't see what your problem is with the "world history" pages title. It means world as in "the material universe or all that exists; everything", not as in "the earth, together with all of its countries, peoples, and natural features".

Screw it, I edited Yancy's page. I'll undo the edit on the very small chance that it was wrong.
Highmax…dead, flesh torn from him, though his skill with the sword was unmatched…military…Nearly destroyed .. Rhunorah... dead... Mastahcheese returns...dead. Gaul...alive, still locked in combat. NAV...Alive, drinking booze....
The face on the toaster does not look like one of mercy.

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: December 05, 2015, 09:43:29 pm »

'Kay then, let's assume all the weapons do equal damage.  Do you want the 7 token gun which requires an exoskeleton to use, and gets 18 shots per token?  Or the 4 token gun which isn't heavy and gets ten times that amount?  Or the 4 token gun which is also not heavy, and can fire explosives on full auto?

Or, hell, let's say that ammo won't ever be tracked, and somebody makes special rounds for the Sibilus.  Do you want three free tokens?

@NAV

Technically it isn't wrong, but it seems very strange to use 'world' as a synonym for 'universe', especially as it's also a synonym for 'planet', and more commonly used that way--especially in sci-fi settings, where there are multiple worlds.
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 [26] 27 28 ... 34