Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17

Author Topic: Void•Black: A Hard Science Fiction Adventure  (Read 19840 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: Void•Black: A Hard Science Fiction Adventure
« Reply #135 on: May 23, 2015, 12:26:05 pm »

Looks good.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably browsing tasteful erotic dolphin photos
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 23, 2015, 02:03:49 pm »

Interview: Marello

Robert was, in all honesty, quite happy to have Dr. Marello's application come in this close to the launch date. The endless avalanche of paperwork had been beaten back to an endless trickle, and the office he'd rented planetside no longer looked like he was attempting to redecorate using government documents. "Dr. Marello, I'm pleased you could make the interview," Blackjack said, motioning for her to take the chair across from his desk. "Your academic references are exquisite, some of the best I've ever seen." Blackjack paused a moment, considering his phrasing. "However, I'm concerned as to your lack of professional work history. The Wilhelmina is certainly a gem, and she's got the kind of freedom you'll never find in corporate or academic life, but I can't imagine that she was your first pick. A woman like you has the skills to pursue other options, options that most people would place a lot higher than work on a bulk transport. So what happened? Why are you here instead of working at a megacorp for a six-figure salary?"
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 02:06:15 pm by Draignean »
I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---
Q: "Do you have any idea what you're doing?"
A: "No, not particularly."

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Void?Black: A Hard Science Fiction Adventure
« Reply #137 on: May 23, 2015, 04:12:18 pm »

Elizabeth had arrived at the interview at precisely 3:59:59, dressed in a simple but wellkept suit, her hands covered in thin gloves and her eyes by dark-tinted glasses. Her long almost-white blonde hair was held in a thick bun, though her face was mostly hidden by her bangs. She reacted to this question by taking off the glasses and pushing her hair aside to reveal her burn scars and prosthetic eye.

"The answer to that is simple, Captain Raker. One's academic records, however impressive they might seem, cannot always compensate for prejudices and a difference in thought patterns. Put frankly, I was deemed 'a poor fit' on all previous applications."
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 11:47:03 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 23, 2015, 06:08:32 pm »

Blackjack nodded. "Understandable. People who pride themselves on intelligence can often have trouble swallowing that pride when a new hire is smarter than they are. Thankfully, I have no such issue," Blackjack added with a grin, "and I'm in desperate need of someone smarter than myself. However, having a record that is grounded entirely in academics can present certain weaknesses. It's one thing to solve a problem in class or on paper, it's another thing to solve it in the real world." Blackjack opened one of the drawers of his desk and picked out a fist sized cube of metal and plastic. "I gave this same puzzle to one of the earlier applicants. They failed. I sincerely hope that you'll do better, or will at least do me the courtesy of not telling me that it's impossible." Blackjack set the cube on Dr. Marello's side of the desk. "I'll give you five minutes to put every pin into the released position. You cannot disassemble the box. The clock starts when you touch the box."

The box is a cube with four buttons on the cardinal faces, and four pins top face. The four pins are arranged as though to mark out the corners of a square roughly half the height and width of the face. Three of the pins are depressed, their heads flush with the box. One pin, the lower left, is withdrawn from the box, revealing its structure to be similar to that of a steel nail. The head of the pin is circular, and roughly twice the diameter of the solid column beneath it. On the cardinal faces of the box, in the middle of each face, is a single button.  Marks on the faces of the box indicate that the top button controls the topmost two pins, the left button controls the leftmost two pins, and so forth. Pressing any button will reverse the position of the two pins it controls, so that a retracted pin will slip into the released position and a released pin will slip into the retracted position.

I have a degree in Computer Seance, that means I'm officially qualified to tell you that the problem with your system is that it's possessed by Satan.
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
Re: Void?Black: A Hard Science Fiction Adventure
« Reply #139 on: May 23, 2015, 06:20:11 pm »

"Intriguing. I did not come here expecting a logic problem. Before I begin, is there a button hidden on the opposite side of the cube from the pins?"

(*gets out pen and paper...* I'm definitely not going to be able to figure this one out before lunch break is over.)
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 11:50:30 pm by SeriousConcentrate »
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: May 23, 2015, 06:33:36 pm »

Blackjack shook his head, smiling. "No, but an excellent start."
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: May 23, 2015, 11:44:54 pm »

"Hmm. What would happen if I were to press two of the buttons at the same time?" Elizabeth steepled her fingers in front of her chin, eyes focused on the cube. She was already going through possible moves to solve it in her mind, but it was indeed a puzzler.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2015, 11:52:53 pm by SeriousConcentrate »

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 23, 2015, 11:47:34 pm »

"Essentially, you can't. If you press two buttons at the same time, the signal delays so that one triggers, then the other," Blackjack explained, assuming a card player's smile. He didn't want to give the trick away with the wrong look.
---

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: May 23, 2015, 11:47:44 pm »

((Sorry. Been away for a bit. Even if I don't have a chance at this...))

"A couple of weeks ago. Couldn't get a job looking like I did before, needed a bit of fixing."

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 23, 2015, 11:49:06 pm »

((Sorry. Been away for a bit. Even if I don't have a chance at this...))

"A couple of weeks ago. Couldn't get a job looking like I did before, needed a bit of fixing."

((Wait, he got fixed, and now he has a bloody nose? Neither I, nor blackjack, am following.))
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: May 23, 2015, 11:56:57 pm »

"Is there anything stopping me from just pushing that pin down to begin with, or holding it upright as I press one of the buttons corresponding to it?"

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 23, 2015, 11:58:41 pm »

Blackjack spread his hands. "You tell me."
---

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 24, 2015, 12:02:36 am »

"The locking mechanisms attached to each pin, I would assume. If they are weak enough that I could force the pin, then they would break and I wouldn't be able to lock it into the released position. Thus failing the contest." Elizabeth leaned closer to the cube, not quite touching it, and studied the top face of it near where the pins emerged from.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 24, 2015, 12:04:10 am »

((True. He probably got into a fight somewhere when he accidentally offended someone. You know how violent some places are.))

Draignean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 24, 2015, 12:07:33 am »

"An interesting deduction," Blackjack said, neither affirming or denying the robotocist's conclusions.

((True. He probably got into a fight somewhere when he accidentally offended someone. You know how violent some places are.))

((Well, yeah, but why did he point to it during the interview?))
---
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 17