Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17

Author Topic: Void•Black: A Hard Science Fiction Adventure  (Read 19782 times)

wipeout1024

• Bay Watcher
  • I lie, but I tell the truth too.
    • View Profile
Re: Void•Black: A Hard Science Fiction Adventure
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 07:54:25 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Is this good?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 06:58:30 pm by wipeout1024 »
Ain't nobody got time for that.

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 07:58:27 pm »

I think I'll join. Sheet in coming soon.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Going to go for either a medic or a roboticist.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2015, 07:47:22 pm by Pencil_Art »

Ama

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm alive!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 08:46:42 pm »

Spoiler: Toby Grant (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:30:33 pm by Ama »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 11:51:46 pm »

EDIT: Changed role to just Head Security Officer.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 05:41:28 pm by Cheesecake »
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2015, 05:54:36 am »

You're supposed to take out the brackets when you fill in the sheet goofballs.

Cheesecake: 3 words at most for your role.

Shadestyle: there's not much use for a dedicated janitor on a ship that only has 6 people on it. Everyone just does chores when they're not doing their special job. Or you can just make the GP bot do it.

Ama: you should pick a more specific and useful role if you want to get hired.

You Captains don't need to make your role "captain" but that's alright if you want to.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:58:18 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2015, 08:03:33 am »

Spoiler: Peter, Williams (click to show/hide)
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2015, 11:13:26 am »

Is there any use for a commercial mechanic? The idea is that he can fix most anything, outside of things like the engines and life support. If not, I'll rework it.
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 11:22:15 am »

Is there any use for a commercial mechanic? The idea is that he can fix most anything, outside of things like the engines and life support. If not, I'll rework it.
The only things on the ship that need special knowledge to maintain are the engines and the robots, so yeah a sort of general mechanic would be useful. Of course anyone on a ship will have some basic maintenance skills but a skilled ship technician would be able to diagnose and fix problems around the ship very quickly and easily. And because you have a foundation of mechanical knowledge that means that if the roboticist or the nuclear engineer have free time on their hands you can even cross-train to learn the basics of their trade.

If you guys have ideas for other kinds of implants and roles you'd like I'm open to suggestions. In general just go nuts while keeping in mind the practical needs of a crew in space as well as your Captain. I'll be sure to tell you if you're out of line, and I'll always be adding things to the Tech spoiler to improve understanding of the setting; answering questions is a pleasure and helps tell me what I need to tell you.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 11:27:34 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Comatose

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Forum Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 05:42:45 pm »

Here's my character sheet, feel free to tell me what you think:
Spoiler: Arneaux Greek (click to show/hide)
Some more questions to the GM(s):
  • Is Void•Black a d20 system, pure roleplay or something else entirely?
  • How does conflict resolution work?
  • Could Player Characters buy and benefit from planetside assets?
  • Is there a numerical value for how much debt the Wilhelmina incurred? (Or will that be determined at a later point?)
  • Could a VRO be attached to someone's optical nerve instead of removing the eyeball?
« Last Edit: April 08, 2015, 05:45:20 pm by Comatose »
Dabbling Forum Poster
Adequate Dwarf Fortress Player
Proficient Forum Lurker

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 06:00:04 pm »

GUNIN: Would cybernetic arms and legs fit in with this universe? Or do they still use prosthetic ones? And would we be able to hire some NPC mook crew-members later on in the game? Just in case we needed the extra muscle for a delivery or something.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2015, 09:37:00 pm »

• Is Void•Black a d20 system, pure roleplay or something else entirely?
  • How does conflict resolution work?
  • Could Player Characters buy and benefit from planetside assets?
  • Is there a numerical value for how much debt the Wilhelmina incurred? (Or will that be determined at a later point?)
  • Could a VRO be attached to someone's optical nerve instead of removing the eyeball?

- Freeform roleplay. It's not freeform I'm still controlling the outcomes and telling you what happens. There just isn't any RNG. Your actions have logical consequences and conflicts are character-driven.
- If you're in a hand fight in engineering and you have a history of being punchy in bars and your opponent is a pasty white nerd, you probably win. If he has a 40 kilowatt hand laser plugged into a wall socket you're toast. Then there are lots of in-betweens that involve struggles and it'll be left up to circumstance to decide a battle. Interpersonal conflicts like arguments are entirely left up to you to resolve, there's no Speech stat. You'll win if you're eloquent, or you know somebody, or you have something they want, or you have more guns than they do. There will be planned storylines and there will be random events. I'm not using tables or generators for anything.
- Sure. Your contract with the Captain lasts at least a year (with option for renewal) but you still spend lots of time dirtside. Trips could take a few months, then when you get to your destination you spend a few weeks selling your payload and buying more, then you take off and do it again. Owning a business or doing long distance freelance work like writing or making art is conducive to the spaceman's lifestyle. Even with only 6 people on the ship there's a lot of downtime.
- The Wilhelmina's nuclear drive alone costs a few hundred million dollars. Adding in initial costs of fuel, remass, the bots, cargo modules, dry food, water for drinking, coolant and plumbing, spare parts, tools and crew wages, the Captain has a depressing amount of debt. Over a half a billion dollars. How much of that remains to be paid depends on the Captain's background. A reduction of a hundred million dollars to account for some time spent trading before the events of the game or money spent out of pocket is the most I'll tolerate otherwise it interferes with the motivation for the story. Give us the girl and wipe away the debt.
- Impossible I'm afraid. If nanoscopic electronics like that existed people would just use removable contacts for VROs.

GUNIN: Would cybernetic arms and legs fit in with this universe? Or do they still use prosthetic ones?

And would we be able to hire some NPC mook crew-members later on in the game? Just in case we needed the extra muscle for a delivery or something.
Cybernetic prosthetics are not uncommon. Not quite as good as a human arm but you can live perfectly normally with a cyber limb; they only require periodic maintenance. A traditional prosthetic would be much cheaper of course at the price of comfort.

Only if the Captain wanted to. He's already got to split his profits with 5 other people (which is only the third biggest reason why you want to keep the crew of a rocket small small small). In the event of equal shares (unlikely given the Captain is the owner), I don't think any of you would be keen on having all of your wages reduced by 16% just to have a bit of "muscle". Just buy more robots. They're cheaper than people in the long term and they can't complain unless you program them to (and why ever would you want to do that).
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 09:46:40 am by GUNINANRUNIN »

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2015, 09:58:44 pm »

They can't complain unless you program them to (and why ever would you want to do that).

Because sassy robots are fun :P

Just a few more questions (can't help it. World building is fun.):
If there aren't any rolls or anything, since this is freeform roleplay, what if the roboticist wanted to create some sort of utility droid in addition to the bots we have on our ship? How would the quality or even success be determined? (I'm assuming that we can just RP in making the robot, but I'm not sure if you have a system for stuff like this.)

The OP says that the Sol System is the only one with multiple major colonies. So, does the Wilhelmina have to jump systems (probably not, since that'll last more than a year, and that's our contract length) or are there plenty of minor colonies scattered around the other systems (and what size would they be?)
Dying of laughter?

Comatose

• Bay Watcher
  • Proficient Forum Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2015, 12:07:57 am »

The OP says that the Sol System is the only one with multiple major colonies. So, does the Wilhelmina have to jump systems (probably not, since that'll last more than a year, and that's our contract length) or are there plenty of minor colonies scattered around the other systems (and what size would they be?)

I was interpreting that Sol is the only system with colonies with populations over 100,000 people. So the Wilhelmina would be bringing supplies to research stations, military outposts and the like. (And bringing any valuable trade goods back to the major colony)
Dabbling Forum Poster
Adequate Dwarf Fortress Player
Proficient Forum Lurker

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2015, 01:35:06 am »

Spoiler: Slŕine, Letitia (click to show/hide)
sorry, Kevak, I stole what you had in mind again (possibly)
Black lives matter.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2015, 01:59:18 am »

((Nowhere near what I had in mind actually. I'll write my character up in a few days, I'm gonna be rather busy till saturday.))
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 17