Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (TSG) Lord of the Manor  (Read 1661 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
(TSG) Lord of the Manor
« on: April 06, 2015, 08:44:31 am »

The carriage slows to a halt as the elven coach driver bids his horses to stop. Handing him a few coppers, you thank him and leap off the carriage. As the horses neigh and the trotting of horses quiets, you inhale deeply and turn around, facing the manor of your family.

Your father recently passed away, and many letters were sent to his children, asking them to come and live with their mother until she found a successor for their family. You are greeted at the gate by a goblin in smart-looking clothes. After brief formalities, he hands you a paper on a board with a quill.

"As a government lawyer of the United City, I'm required to have you fill out this form, like all immigrants coming here."

Spoiler: House and Holdings (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Person and Belongings (click to show/hide)

Game mechanics are simple. You all have to please Mother, get the consent of the surrounding populace, by bringing riches and trade into the region, driving back invaders, etc. By the end of the year, the child with the highest Claim wins (or if there is only one child left...)

Adding a short backstory to the suggested character is recommended, detailing what the character has done in the decade or so since he or she last returned home. It helps me to flesh out the story a bit and give more depth to the characters.
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Re: (TSG) Lord of the Manor
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2015, 08:46:25 am »

Reserved
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2015, 09:14:51 am »

Name of the Noble Family: Valackar
Name of the Manor: Redhall

Manor Disabilities
-Frontier (Your manor is smack dab on the border of a far-off Union Town, right next to an enemy empire. You'll be the first target for raiders and soldiers.)
-Unfriendly Resident (There's some monster that will constantly harass and terrorize you and your house. Randomly created, ranging from a vicious pack of direwolves to a huge dragon.)

Manor Boons:
-Well Protected (Surrounded by fortresses and droves of metal-clad knights makes you feel untouchable.)
-Local Phlebotinum (Whether it's a rare metal, crop or building material, there's something readily available here not available anywhere else.)

Name: Marick
Number of Siblings: 4
Race: Human

Character Disabilities:
-Youngest (You don't have as much respect from your older siblings, or from anyone of status because of your young age. Lowers Claim by 1 Tier.)

Charachter Boons:
--Well Connected (You've got friends in many places, always ready to help when needed. Increase relations.)

So My logic here is that danger creates opportunity, and that our connections might help us bring military aid to us and our family should danger come knocking, potentially making us a hero. I don't really care too much about name/gender/race, so i would be willing to change those, i'll wait on suggesting a backstory until i gauge what the other potential readers might want, but i'd like our charachter to be politically minded and savvy.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2015, 10:52:18 am »

Is this one character only?

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 11:03:05 am »

Suggestion game by the looks of it.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 11:06:15 am »

Manor Disabilities
-Frontier (Your manor is smack dab on the border of a far-off Union Town, right next to an enemy empire. You'll be the first target for raiders and soldiers.)
-Unfriendly Resident (There's some monster that will constantly harass and terrorize you and your house. Randomly created, ranging from a vicious pack of direwolves to a huge dragon.)

Manor Boons:
-Well Protected (Surrounded by fortresses and droves of metal-clad knights makes you feel untouchable.)
-Local Phlebotinum (Whether it's a rare metal, crop or building material, there's something readily available here not available anywhere else.)

Character Disabilities:
-Youngest (You don't have as much respect from your older siblings, or from anyone of status because of your young age. Lowers Claim by 1 Tier.)

Charachter Boons:
--Well Connected (You've got friends in many places, always ready to help when needed. Increase relations.)

So My logic here is that danger creates opportunity, and that our connections might help us bring military aid to us and our family should danger come knocking, potentially making us a hero. I don't really care too much about name/gender/race, so i would be willing to change those, i'll wait on suggesting a backstory until i gauge what the other potential readers might want, but i'd like our charachter to be politically minded and savvy.

+1

Mooply

• Bay Watcher
  • Surviving the cyberpocalypse of 2004, the future.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2015, 11:24:59 am »

I like that suggestion but say we should be orcs. Shake things up a bit from the usual human family, cause some waves.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2015, 12:36:15 pm »

Name of the Noble Family: Bloodbeard
Name of the Manor: Tombfolds

Pick up to four disabilities (for each disablity, you may pick a perk):
-Bad Location (For some reason, the manor and its surroundings were built dead center in a dangerous and frightening location. The location will be randomly created at game start.)
-Rural (Hours and hours away from the city, the manor is surrounded for acres all around by untamed wilderness. Messages to and from civilization will take quite a long time, and transport even more so.)
-Bad Neighbors (Either an old family rival or a newcomer stirring trouble, your neighbor of equal status and wealth will seek to take over your holdings and run you out of the city.)

Pick up to four perks (Need one disablity per perk. Cannot clash with disability.)
-Well-maintained (Well cared for and built with good materials, the manor and the countryside are the jewel of the district.)
-Family Heirloom (A unique and revered landmark on your property, it has been a boon for your family since the first settlers. Randomly created, from a fairy tree that fertilizes crops, to a magic animal that lays golden eggs.)

Name: Mebzuth
Number of siblings: 3 (Unsure what the use of gold coins are?)
Race:
-Dwarven (Stoic craftsmen from the mountainhomes, years of trying to colonize badlands and glaciers have scarred the entirety of their race. Thankfully, your family became nobles instead of dying in a godforsaken hole.
Amazing Mercantile relations. Good Military relations. Bad Academic relations. Average Political relations.)

Pick up to four disabilities, same as before:

Again, pick four perks:

-Bad Connections (Through some vice, criminal scum have gotten their hold on you. They'll try to get what you owe them through the game, getting progessively more violent.)
-Criminal Record (You have a secret no one here knows about. No difference to Claim or relationship until it is found out.)

Again, pick four perks:
-Honorable Position (You might have landed a career as a respectable officer, merchant or politician. Increase relations, including family relations.)
-Rich! (Through some trading and investing, you came out on top as the richest child. Extra one gold and increase Claim by 1.)

Mebzuth held a distinguished position within the Imperial Treasury, rising through the ranks thanks to years of constant work. The pay however,  left much to be desired, and when she discovered massive embezzlement operation entrenched within the Treasury itself, she blackmailed them out of a hefty chunk of their illgotten gold, rather than reporting the matter to the proper authorities.

Shortly thereafter she retired from her position, ostensibly to go back to support her grieving mother, after the passing of Mebzuth's father. Conveniently, the family manor was located far, far away from the Capital, and the criminal syndicate she extorted, deep in the forbidding wilderness of the frontier. She had covered her tracks well, and if someone did eventually show up, whether from the legal authorities or the criminal underground, she'd hopefully have gained enough influence with the local fortress (bribery is such a wonderful thing), to have them "killed by wild animals".
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 12:39:19 pm by Demonic Spoon »

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2015, 01:07:51 pm »

-Bad Location (For some reason, the manor and its surroundings were built dead center in a dangerous and frightening location. The location will be randomly created at game start.)
-Rural (Hours and hours away from the city, the manor is surrounded for acres all around by untamed wilderness. Messages to and from civilization will take quite a long time, and transport even more so.)
-Bad Neighbors (Either an old family rival or a newcomer stirring trouble, your neighbor of equal status and wealth will seek to take over your holdings and run you out of the city.)

Pick up to four perks (Need one disablity per perk. Cannot clash with disability.)
-Well-maintained (Well cared for and built with good materials, the manor and the countryside are the jewel of the district.)
-Family Heirloom (A unique and revered landmark on your property, it has been a boon for your family since the first settlers. Randomly created, from a fairy tree that fertilizes crops, to a magic animal that lays golden eggs.)

Race:
-Dwarven (Stoic craftsmen from the mountainhomes, years of trying to colonize badlands and glaciers have scarred the entirety of their race. Thankfully, your family became nobles instead of dying in a godforsaken hole.
Amazing Mercantile relations. Good Military relations. Bad Academic relations. Average Political relations.)

Again, pick four perks:

-Bad Connections (Through some vice, criminal scum have gotten their hold on you. They'll try to get what you owe them through the game, getting progessively more violent.)
-Criminal Record (You have a secret no one here knows about. No difference to Claim or relationship until it is found out.)

Again, pick four perks:
-Honorable Position (You might have landed a career as a respectable officer, merchant or politician. Increase relations, including family relations.)
-Rich! (Through some trading and investing, you came out on top as the richest child. Extra one gold and increase Claim by 1.)

Mebzuth held a distinguished position within the Imperial Treasury, rising through the ranks thanks to years of constant work. The pay however,  left much to be desired, and when she discovered massive embezzlement operation entrenched within the Treasury itself, she blackmailed them out of a hefty chunk of their illgotten gold, rather than reporting the matter to the proper authorities.

Shortly thereafter she retired from her position, ostensibly to go back to support her grieving mother, after the passing of Mebzuth's father. Conveniently, the family manor was located far, far away from the Capital, and the criminal syndicate she extorted, deep in the forbidding wilderness of the frontier. She had covered her tracks well, and if someone did eventually show up, whether from the legal authorities or the criminal underground, she'd hopefully have gained enough influence with the local fortress (bribery is such a wonderful thing), to have them "killed by wild animals".

Changing my vote to this.

Haveroszaur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2015, 01:36:54 pm »

Race:

Again, pick four perks:

Again, pick four perks:

Changing my vote to this.
+1 on basis that I also wanted to pick a dwarf.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 02:42:53 pm »

Manor Disabilities

Manor Boons:

Character Disabilities:

Charachter Boons:

This but as a dwarf if possible
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 03:11:01 pm by Generally me »

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 02:57:24 pm »

Manor Disabilities

Manor Boons:

Character Disabilities:

Charachter Boons:

+1

3man75

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 03:17:56 pm »

Manor Disabilities

Manor Boons:

Character Disabilities:

Charachter Boons:

+1

Changing my vote again. I don't like competition in the name of a rival. At least not yet.

Worldmaster27

• Bay Watcher
  • Doop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2015, 05:01:21 pm »

Manor Disabilities

Manor Boons:

Character Disabilities:

Charachter Boons:

+1
+1 as dwarf
Changing my vote again. I don't like competition in the name of a rival. At least not yet.

Demonic Spoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Peering from beyond the veil of reality
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2015, 07:52:55 am »

Manor Disabilities

Manor Boons:

Character Disabilities:

Charachter Boons:

+1

I'm not sure what you mean? Are you referring to the Bad Neighbours disability?
Pages: [1] 2