Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14

Author Topic: Goku vs Superman  (Read 20155 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: Goku vs Superman
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 12:55:38 am »

No, I distinctly remember Goku saying that "Instant transmission" is "moving at light speed." (Or rather, "moving as light"))

This means one of two things must be true for it:

1) He's literally moving at light speed, suffers relativistic effects, and leaves an ionization wake behind him.
2) He's literally turning INTO light, and thus has limits on atmospheric travel, due to diffusion.

Pick a poison.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:57:12 am by wierd »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 12:58:57 am »

Uhhhhhh... This show suffers a LOT from not depicting Superman's strength.

Uhhh... not really

I seem to remember tat the last time we had this thread, you and I danced for pages of me going into great detail and extensively citing sources, while you kept responding with "no, you're wrong. Superman is stronger than that, they just don't show it."

I'm not going to do that again. If you want to have a discussion, you need to say more than just "uhhh, no."

I already proven it last time with clips that outright state numbers. While you shown battles where Superman didn't throw punches that blown up worlds.

Also note that Superman survives quite easily in lava while Goku will die if he touches lava.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:03:10 am by Neonivek »

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 01:02:29 am »

No, I distinctly remember Goku saying that "Instant transmission" is "moving at light speed." (Or rather, "moving as light"))

This means one of two things must be true for it:

1) He's literally moving at light speed, suffers relativistic effects, and leaves an ionization wake behind him.
2) He's literally turning INTO light, and thus has limits on atmospheric travel, due to diffusion.

Pick a poison.

That's a dub error.  Original Japanese had it more in line with jumping in and out of a pocket of space-time for instant travel.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 01:05:03 am »

All Superman needs to do is use his heat vision. It one hit kills Goku who can't survive Lava.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 01:05:27 am »

I'd pay money to see that fight of Goku vs Silver Age Superman, LB. It'd be the weirdest thing on TV since ... well, some of the things they put on in the early 2000s, I think.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2015, 01:09:11 am »

All Superman needs to do is use his heat vision. It one hit kills Goku who can't survive Lava.
Proof please that modern-era Goku can be killed by Lava.
._.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 01:10:48 am »

Proof please
Proof
Oh no it's a serious versus thread. Run! Run while you still can!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 07, 2015, 01:13:48 am »

Frieza arc.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 07, 2015, 01:18:17 am »

That's a translation error. Do you need me to track down a source, or is it enough for me to simply point out that he used it not only to travel between star systems during the Trunks arc, as well as between dimensions during the Buu Saga? Clearly he didn't spend years in transit when he transported Cell to the North Kaio's world. It's teleportation. That's why it's called "instant."

...wait, here you go:

http://www.dragonballencyclopedia.com/qdb/Instantaneous_Movement

"In the FUNimation dub of the anime, Goku described the technique as allowing him to move at the speed of light (specifically 186,000 miles per second), however, it occurs instantly as New Planet Namek for example was light years away."

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 07, 2015, 01:20:43 am »

Does it matter anyway? Instant Transmition is a teleport anyhow.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 07, 2015, 01:25:06 am »

Goku will die if he touches lava.

I assume you're referring to him jumping out of the way of lava during the Freiza fight?

So...if somebody throws a bucket of water at you and you jump out of the way, clearly that means water will kill you if you touch it, right?

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 07, 2015, 01:26:00 am »

Frieza arc.
1) He wasn't actually killed by lava, you know.
2) That's fucking Frieza arc. That's like 4 power-ups and a dozen years away from the "modern-era Goku".
._.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 07, 2015, 01:26:27 am »

I assume you're referring to him jumping out of the way of lava during the Freiza fight?

So...if somebody throws a bucket of water at you and you jump out of the way, clearly that means water will kill you if you touch it, right?

He also has the lava lightly graze him and give him a serious burn and implies that getting doused in lava will kill him... and Superman's lasers are many times hotter then lava that has been cooled.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:28:38 am by Neonivek »

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 07, 2015, 01:30:38 am »

He also has the lava lightly graze him and give him a serious burn... and Superman's lasers are many times hotter then lava that has been cooled.
A "serious burn" does not extrapolate into Goku getting one-shotted by lava. Especially on DBZ characters.
._.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 07, 2015, 01:33:13 am »

No, it does not-- but it DOES present a continuity problem with the series itself.
Prior to his "owie, it burns!" moment, he has withstood gamut gun bursts from Vegeta that have vaporized whole mountains. The amount of energy in such a blast makes the amount of thermal energy in the lava pale in comparison. This means that the writers of the series dont understand physics, not that goku can be one-shotted by falling into mount doom.

(In a nutshell, this means that "Goku is vulnerable ONLY to what the writers feel like saddling him with that episode, which they will magically fix in the next story arc."  This makes any and all rational evaluations of Goku's strengths/weaknesses a futile exercise-- and by extension, any kind of VS computation a farce. Goku has an umlimited number of McGuffins he can pull out, and is pretty much Godmode Sue, with only the thinnest of paper limitations imposed on him to make him not be boring.)
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 01:47:22 am by wierd »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14