Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14

Author Topic: Goku vs Superman  (Read 20120 times)

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
Re: Goku vs Superman
« Reply #165 on: April 09, 2015, 04:09:55 am »

It is more accurate to say that ki can be manipulated to produce the effects of thermal or kinetic energy (maybe other forms of energy as well, but since I can't recall any specific instances of someone using it to create E.M. radiation I'll just leave it at those two).
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2015, 05:08:14 am »

Forgive me if my science is off but light is part of the EM spectrum, meaning it gives off light energy as well. What other kinds of energy are there?
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2015, 05:16:50 am »

Gravitational, pure radiation, E.M., and kinetic/thermal are the ones I can recall off the top of my head.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: April 09, 2015, 09:14:45 am »

If we're going with any DC character, Batman wins. Sure, he doesn't have real superpowers, but he's goddamn Batman.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: April 09, 2015, 09:19:03 am »

If we're going with any DC character, Batman wins. Sure, he doesn't have real superpowers, but he's goddamn Batman.

Gonna have to second that motion.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: April 09, 2015, 03:35:57 pm »

Gonna have to second that motion.
In my honest opinion, Batman is a loser chump with no friends.
Dick Grayson is the much superior option, as the charismatic core of the DC universe.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Radio Controlled

• Bay Watcher
  • Morals? Ethics? Conscience? HA!
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: April 09, 2015, 03:42:20 pm »

Ah, but who made Dick Grayson to who he is?

Besides, Bats has lots of friends and allies, but just can't show it, he'd loose his brooding. Gotta have that brooding.

Einsteinian Roulette Wiki
Quote from: you know who you are
21:26   <XYZ>: I know nothing about this, but I have strong opinions about it.
Fucking hell, you guys are worse than the demons.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: April 09, 2015, 03:43:48 pm »

Why are we restricting ourselves to DC, anyway? How about Goku vs Deadpool?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: April 09, 2015, 04:57:58 pm »

Justice League

Been thinking about this, and here's what I've come up with:

Justice League Superman is not a credible threat for even Frieza arc Goku. Justice League's portrayal is one of the weakest portrayals of Superman in any media since color television. He takes punches and is bloodied by them. He needs a spacesuit inspace. And I've already shown the World of Cardboard speech, where his "showing you how powerful he is" is I think enough to show him to be worthy of consideration, but it's just not enough to show him to be a winner. He can fly, yes, he's strong, yes...but he's a terrible fighter and his best attribute seems to be that he's good at taking hits. And his best trait, durability, isn't better than Goku or Vegeta's. Superman gets knocked through concrete walls and pounded into the ground, and he gets scuffed up by it. Z fighters get hurled through mountains and they get scuffed up by it. Here's a compilation of JLU Superman fight scenes. And while Superman is tough enough to take some Saiyan-level punches, he simply lacks the skill and endurance to stand up to them for an entire fight, and his fighting style is generally very clumsy and slow. Here's a Frieza era fight. They're doing similar moves, but Z fighters do them more casually and for longer, and they fight a whole lot faster. With Superman against Darkseid, for example, one punch, fly super fast around the other side, hit him again and the impact makes a crater...fight's over. Meanwhile, fights in Dragonaball routinely last hundreds or thousands of punches, with more punches in 5 seconds than are thrown in a minute of Superman fighting, and they endure just as much damage and just keep going. Here's Frieza taking dozens of hits then being knocked completely though two rock formation that are so big you can't even see him in the video, and he bounces back up, exchages some words and goes back to fighting. Could Darkseid from that World of Cardboard video have taken that? No way. Dragonball fights are faster, longer, more intense and the fighters take massively more of a pounding and just keep going. Either Frieza-era Vegeta or Frieza-era Goku could beat Justice League Superman. He might be able to beat Piccolo.

Justice League Wonder Woman is possibly more interesting, because unlike Justice League Superman...she's actually a fighter. Superman isn't. He's mostly just durable enough to take hits. And glancing back llooking through a couple JL/JLU videos, her strength feats seem almost as good as his. Superman looks to be stronger, but not by a whole lot. But she's not nearly as durable and not as fast. Just more skilled. I think she could beat Krillin, Tenshinhan and Yamcha. I think Piccolo would beat her. She'd stand no chance against Vegeta or Goku. They'd respect her more than Superman, they'd enjoy fighting her more, but she's just not tough enough, fast enough or strong enough to stand up to them.

Flash is an interesting case. Remember that through all of Justice League and most of JLU, this is pre-Speedforce Flash. Which makes him difficult to evaluate. If you actually watch the "runaround the world" sequence, it looks like roughly three times around the world in a second, which is about .4c. Not as fast as Buu saga Gotenks. But knowing what the Speedforce is, it's understood that Flash is faster than light, even if that video doesn't show it. But once we start saying "oh,well...that's what what the video shows, but this is how strong and fast this character really is" that becomes very shaky ground and it sets a bad precedent that makes it difficult to evaluate other characters, since not everybody will agree on what "really" happened." I think  certain amount of interpretation and extrapolation is reasonable. But I'm concerned that we might not all agree on how much and when. But maybe we don't need to. Deathbattle computed Goku's speed to be 2.3c. But...the way they did it is kind of sketchy. They used a speed feat from a a very, very early Saiyan Arc episode (the very first Arc of Z) and then multiplied it by Super Saiayan sped multipliers...from GT. Saiyan Arc is too early to be a reliable base measure, and not only is GT debatebale whether it's canon, it's later than the "Frieza Arc Goku" that I'm talking about, and so that multiplier isn't applicable. We could try removing the GT speed multipliers from Deathbattle's calculations, and doing so gets us a base speed of 64 million km/hr for Goku, which is only .06c, which is a bit less than one sixth the speed we see Flash going in that video. But, that's means assuming that Goku didn't get any faster between Saiayn and Frieza arcs...which probably isn't reasonable. We do know that Gotenks is explicitly shown to be shown faster during Buu saga than Flash is explicitly shown to be in the above video. But deducing Gokus speed fromGotenks speed is something not everyone will agree on, and Buu saga is at the end of Z, so just like it's reasonable to speculate that Goku is faster during Friez arc than Saiayan Arc, he's obviously slower in Frieza arc than Buu Arc, but how much so is difficult to evaluate. In any case, just sort of looking at the numbers and guessing, it's probably reasonable to conclude that Justice League Flash is significantly faster than Frieza arc Goku.

But, we're not talking about a race. There's more to a fight than just speed. Justice League Flash is fast, but that's kind of all he does. THough significantly, he's consistently shown to have the Requireed Secondary Powers for his speed. Even though he's not shown to be especially strong or durable, he's never injured as a result of his speed. For example, He doesn't liquify when accelerating from 0 to.4c over a couple seconds. It might be tempting to look at that and conclude that he's durable enough to take that kind of acceleration, therefore nobody's going to be able to hit him hard enough to hurt him. But he's not shown to work that way. He seems to be more or less a regular human with speed, and his own speed doesn't hurt him. Notably, he seems to be the only character in the lineup capable of fighting at Dragonball speeds. Go watch that fight between Goku and Frieza, and compare to the above video of Flash punching away Lex Luthor's armor. While Superman would be stuck taking hits, Flash would be able to dodge, just like Z fighters routinely do. But he doesn't seem to have any particular skill as a fighter, and even if he could keep up, I don't see him being able to do enough damage to win. The more interesting possibility here is examining reaction speed. Superman in the World of Cardboard video is shown to go fast, but not only is Flash faster...Flash is explictly shown to be able toreact at a rate in line with his speed. He's not simply going from point A to point B quickly. He can see and react to things when he's moving at significant fractions of c. He never crashes into any buildings or mountains or anything when he zips around the planet. So it's possible that the slower Z fighters might simply be unable to hit him, because he can see the punches and get out of the way before they arrive. This is contradicted by the fact that Flash does take hits in Justice League. For example in this sequence alternate-universe-Superman is able to club him with a chunk of building even when he's looking right at him. How? Was he taken by surprise? If his reaction time is always operating at significant fractions of c, that doesn't make sense. What does make sense is that Flash's "required secondary power" is that his reaction speed increases to keep pace with his speed. If he'smoving, he perception speeds up to match. Whereas if he's just standing there, his perception is that of a regular human. I'm speculating. But that does explain what we see. If so, that makes him not impossible to hit (and he is shown taking hits.) Just, difficult to hit, if he's actively involved in what's going on. So...again, really hard to definitely judge Flash, but I'm going to say he can beat Krillin, Tenshinhan and Yamcha. He probably can't beat Piccolo. He probably can't beat Goku or Vegeta. But Goku probably won't be able to beat Flash either. Piccolo and Vegeta stand a chance, but only through use of subterfuge. Piccolo is smart and willing to fight dirty. Vegeta is no-nonsense and will do what works. And Flash is notoriously unfocused, easily distracted and likes to do dumb things like stop in the middle of a fight to taunt his opponent. Piccolo and Vegeta might possibly be able to take advantage of this. But if Flash simply decides to leave, there's nothing they can do to stop him.

Green Lantern
Lantern is also very difficult to evaluate. On paper, his power should be able do anything and beat anyone. Because that's what his power is. To be able to do anything...that he can conceive of. So "I conceive of everyone in the Dragonball universe disappeariing in a puff of smoke!" And so it happens and he wins, right? But...no. Because he's usually shown to simply not be very imaginative, and I just don't remember him ever doing anything impressive at all on his own. Even random mooks sometimes give him problems

But, he also combines well with others. If you watch Justice League, most of the time Green Lantern does anything impressive, he's not the one doing it. He's helping somebody else do it. He goes from being the guy who gets knocked down by a stun baton and failing to stop trains to suddenly pulling out stuff like this. So...again, he's difficult to evaluate. The limits of his power seem to relate to how stupid he is and how confidant he's feeling. And he's fairly stupid. But, his stupidity I think actually helps him sometimes. I suspect that the reason there's such a mismatch between his feats is that he simply doesn't understand how difficult some things are. "Oh, just  run over to the sun, no big deal. I'll help you go faster. You're already fast, so it will all work out. But wow! That train is really BIG! No way I could stop that." And since his power is limited by his perception of things, sometimes the far more difficult task is easier for him because he doesn't know any better. Again, this makes him very difficult to evaluate. For example,it might not be unreasonable to say that he simply doesn't know that a planet-busting attack is a planet-busting attack, and therefore repel it fairly easy, but then get punched in the stomach by Vegeta and go down.

However, speculation aside, Green Lantern does have one massive weakness: it's his ring doing these things, and it routinely runs out of power.
Like, all the time. And without the ring, he wouldn't stand a chance even against Krillan. So overall I think his effectiveness is going to depend a great deal on the circumstances of the battle, who's involved, how long it takes, whether he's feeling confidant that day, etc. I think it's pretty reasonable to suggest that one-on-one, anyone from Piccolo and up would be able to keep him fighting long enough for his ring to run out of power, and then he's done.

Batman
Batman is smart, but not very strong. Again, straight up fight, even Krillan could turn him into a grease spot on the floor. But depending on the circumstances of the fight, I think it's reasonable to suggest that even Goku would have a difficult time with Batman, because Batman would realize he was outmatched, and leave. Or possibly let the others go in first and watch from a distance and decide to not even engage in thefirst place. Then study the situation from an underground bunker for however long was required to find a solution. Twice that I can think of in Justice League, Batman was shown to embark on plans that took decades to come to fruition. If that's what it takes, that's what he'd do. Sure, straight up brawl, he's dead. But he wouldn't let it come to a straight up brawl. Possibly retreat, give Goku poisoned food, which he would happily eat, and then find some sort of solution from there.

But that would not work on Vegeta. Vegeta would just kill him. I think Piccolo would gave Bats trouble too. He's also clever and patient, generally savvy, doesn't mind retreating into the shadows for years or decades to do what needs to be done. But unlike Batman, Piccolo is not only smart, he's also able to fly, regenerate lost limbs, and has the usual host of Z fighters strengths. Piccolo vs Batman would be an interesting story, but it would potentially take years to resolve, and if Batman ever made a mistake it would be much easier for Piccolo to end it than the other way around.

Aquaman
Meh. He was shown to be a competent fighter and his Captain Hook thing is good at cutting stuff. But his feats are utterly unimpressive. He can hit a small girl hard enough to make her spin a couple times before she hits the ground. He can cut through magma monsters and ordinary office desks. Ok,that's nice I guess. Meanwhile Ordinary mooks with spears can subdue him and he struggles to get out of restraints. Maybe that's special Atlantean metal. Or maybe it isn't. Either way, he's clearly a C-list character. Maybe he could beat Krillin. But probably not. Here's Krillin cutting a hill in half, and that's during early Saiyan Arc. Also, remember that Krillin can fly. Overall I don't think Justice League Aquaman is a credible threat to any Z fighters.

Martian Manhunter
The big issue here is that I don't think the Z fighters can hurt him. All he has to do is go in corporeal and...what can they do? Meanwhile, he can do stuff like go incorporal, reach into their chest while they can't touch him and rematerialize his arm inside their internal organs. And even if they somehow hit him, so what? Watch the video. He gets ripped in half and explodes, so he simply reforms his body. This is without even touching on the telepathy and mind control stuff. Vegeta has shown he can resist mind control. Maybe we can give Piccolo the benefit of a doubt, since he does have experience with multiple minds inside his head. The others, no, and Goku is probably especially easy to manipulate because he's kind of dumb. But again, he doesn't even need to go there if they physically can't damage him and he can reform his body even if they do.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: April 09, 2015, 06:09:12 pm »

Justice League's portrayal is one of the weakest portrayals of Superman in any media since color television.

He also flies close enough to a black hole to suffer 10^32+ of Gs of gravity. Far more then even Goku can survive.

And that IS, JLA canon. Since the Superman Cartoon is canon for the JLA cartoon.

And I'll hunt down the Braniac episode, because I believe at one point he does try to pummel Superman into the ground with an insane amount of tonnage.

but he's a terrible fighter and his best attribute seems to be that he's good at taking hits

The show actually explains this quite a bit. He intentionally takes hits because if he did go all out he would kill most of his rogue's gallery.

Could Darkseid from that World of Cardboard video have taken that? No way.

Uhhh... Yes... Superman has been knocked through solid earth before... I don't see why Darksied couldn't have done that, Darksied wasn't even hurt by Superman's full strength punches.

Don't get so drawn into the visual style of the show. Just because it didn't show superman hit Darksied and fly into the earth and destroy all of America... it doesn't mean that wasn't the force being used.

He takes punches and is bloodied by them.

And?

The Z fighters get bloodied by wimpy punches all the time. They just function by the anime logic of "The more injured you are, the stronger you get"

Though judging by the way superman looks that would be first season of the JLA, meaning that might have been after he took a world destroying shot to the face.

and his fighting style is generally very clumsy and slow.

It really isn't, it is fairly calculated. Goku lives in a world where if he smacked someone as hard as he could, as long as he doesn't mean to kill them... they will survive. This is pretty well established. As long as you don't mean to kill anyone, it won't kill them.

Where as in Superman's world no... it will kill them.

It would be fairly funny for Goku to suddenly find himself in a world where when he gives someone a super hard smack to the back that he cripples them and sends them to the hospital.

As well Superman lives in a world where martial arts doesn't convey super powers. He doesn't use fancy movements and his attacks are fairly utilitarian in nature. When he had to pretend to be Batman, he really could do martial arts and knows many styles himself. It is just that a Karate chop doesn't mean much when your that strong in superman's universe.

But he doesn't seem to have any particular skill as a fighter, and even if he could keep up, I don't see him being able to do enough damage to win.

The episode of JLA where Lex Luthor takes over Flash's body reveals that yeah... The Flash could be absolutely deadly if he wanted to but doesn't because it would create a lot of collateral damage.

And no there would be no defense the Z-Fighters could pit if the Flash decided to excite their molecules.

---

Yes I have watched all the episodes of Superman and the JLA.

Bonus points for the Martian Manhunter being fully capable of transforming into a Saiyan and thus getting their super powers immediately.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 06:29:11 pm by Neonivek »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: April 09, 2015, 06:35:06 pm »

He also flies close enough to a black hole to suffer 10^32+ of Gs of gravity.

You made that same claim 5 thread pages ago. You still haven't sourced it.

Uhhh... Yes... Superman has been knocked through solid earth before...

Source your claims. Remember we're talking about Justice League.

Just because it didn't show superman hit Darksied and fly into the earth and destroy all of America.. it doesn't mean that wasn't the force being used.

And what reason do you have to believe that it is, aside from your personal fanboyism?

Don't get so drawn into the visual style of the show.

By that you mean, ignore what you actually see in the show and pretend something else?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 09, 2015, 06:45:14 pm »

The Superman show is Canon for the JLA as I said.

And what reason do you have to believe that it is, aside from your personal fanboyism?

Because that is generally how the show has worked.

You still haven't sourced it

Forgive me, it is a bit harder then finding any of the DBZ fights. Especially since as an American Cartoon... Youtube takes the stuff down.

You still need to source your pic...

It isn't like you source your justifications a lot of the time.

---

Plus don't forget that anytime I bring up one of Goku's weaknesses you go "Doesn't count".

So anytime I go "Superman is a lot stronger then that clip shows" you go "Doesn't count" and whenever I go "Look, see this clip right here shows Goku having a weakness" you go "Doesn't count".

Such as Goku's weakness to toxins, corrosives, and extreme temperatures of both hot and cold (SORT OF! He seems to survive very hot temperatures fine, but seems to have an upper limit that doesn't follow his invulnerability, my interpretation is he has an innate resistance to heat that stopped growing). His lack of ability to resist magic, mind control, telekinesis, sound, or light (Goku can be blinded by flashbangs).

Meaning Superman could... for example... Shoot lasers into Goku's eyes frying his retinal corneas. Sure Frieza once shot a concussive blast into his eyes, but it isn't the same thing (though I might be misremembering she might have never done that... since hitting people in the eye seems effective)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:19:51 pm by Neonivek »

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 09, 2015, 07:01:24 pm »

Actually just about all of the Z fighters are functionally invincible to magic (excepting Dabura's quasi-magical petrification spit) by the time we reach the Buu arc, Bobbity literally can't do shit to any of them excepting Vegeta allowing him to use his magic to make him stronger and remove his 'humanity' so he can fight Goku full bore.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 09, 2015, 07:04:46 pm »

Actually just about all of the Z fighters are functionally invincible to magic (excepting Dabura's quasi-magical petrification spit) by the time we reach the Buu arc, Bobbity literally can't do shit to any of them excepting Vegeta allowing him to use his magic to make him stronger and remove his 'humanity' so he can fight Goku full bore.

They aren't immune to any of the magical attacks, Bobbity's mind control is just fairly weak as Goku outright states. Then again Bobbity is meant to be a pathetic loser coasting on the laurels of Buu. It was one of the many reasons why Goku seriously underestimated Buu. Along with Bobbity's minions being pathetic losers and the Supreme Kai being a pathetic loser (shame because I love his design... No really!)

The Candy beam, the Stone Spit, The Carrot Touch are all things they aren't immune to. In fact the only reason Vegetto doesn't lose to the Candy Beam is because logic was murdered in that section (which I wouldn't say if it was JUST that... but also the REALLY stupid reason why Goku and Vegeta still aren't fused)

In fact the "Devil Beam" would have killed Kid Goku guaranteed, if Goku had any shred of evil in him. But being Pure of heart he was immune. Honestly I love one of the games that had a bonus mission where you play Devil Man against Frieza and his Father... and because they are so evil Devil Man's blast just obliterates them. I like to imagine that Devil Man's beam really could have devastated them, but that he is far to weak himself to ever get the attack off.

Mind you magic made to just do damage, they can block like anything else.

Basically the Z fighters and Superman are pretty much the same when it comes to magic.

If a Knife is enchanted to be super sharp hits them, they can block it. If a Knife enchanted to cut anything it touches hits them, it slices through them.

However, speculation aside, Green Lantern does have one massive weakness: it's his ring doing these things, and it routinely runs out of power

It usually isn't a big deal in most episodes. Did have a rather embarrassing episode though where Green Lantern was defeated... because someone chopped off the Lantern part of the ring with... a space ax...

Buu was killed because he was hit by a Spirit Bomb, though. That attack has some special anti-evil properties which made it possible to actually kill Buu. I'm not sure if any other option would've worked, because Buu regenerated after being reduced to fine mist.

From what I understand the Spirit Bomb isn't an anti-evil attack, it just isn't one that can be handled by anyone who isn't pure of heart.

But the way I interpreted it is that so long as there was even a speck of Buu left not obliterated... he would keep coming back and he was far too powerful for even the Kamehameha to do it.

But the Spirit Bomb is a continuous form of damage.

Besides remember Buu hits Goku with the Spirit Bomb as well... apparently. An EVIL version.

Mind you my interpretation of that scene was it was just a imitation spirit bomb, not a recreated evil version. Just shaped to look like the spirit bomb.

What does make sense is that Flash's "required secondary power" is that his reaction speed increases to keep pace with his speed. If he'smoving, he perception speeds up to match. Whereas if he's just standing there, his perception is that of a regular human. I'm speculating. But that does explain what we see.

It seems like by surprise. He was looking up after all.

He might have a fast reaction speed, but he is sort of "Clumsy" so to speak. Many characters throw him off by making obstacles in their way.

Either that or to have a fast reaction speed the Flash needs to make a concerted effort. As in he needs to switch it on. Which is how I always interpreted it. (for JLA flash... comic flash it is on all the time and can be torturous for him)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 07:28:55 pm by Neonivek »

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 09, 2015, 07:29:19 pm »

It isn't like you source your justifications a lot of the time.

...dude, you're being ridiculous. Scroll up. This post from me has sixteen links in it.  This one has four. This one has ten.

I am extensively citing my sources.

Meanwhile, I have to go back through five pages of thread and nineteen of your posts to find even a single link from you. But you continually keep making claims and saying that you "could" source them and then not doing it.

Plus don't forget that anytime I bring up one of Goku's weaknesses you go "Doesn't count".

It's not that it"doesn't count." It's that you totally made something up you couldn't be bothered to source, and when I found the source of your claim you were wrong. The video did not show what you claimed it did.

This is why I'm asking you to source your claims. Because you're making stuff up.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14