Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: What games have made Guns scary?  (Read 5253 times)

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
Re: What games have made Guns scary?
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 02:54:04 pm »

I agree, somewhere around the second half RE4 becomes way shootier than it needed to be and doesn't stop there (gorram mine cart ride)... but personally I've enjoyed it very much still. Your argument is true regardless.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 02:57:53 pm »

I dunno if I agree about Batman. Guns are lethal, but you get so much time to react to guys having them, you're rarely surprised by them, and all it takes is a Batrang, a Bat Grapple, or a punch and it's been eliminated.

On higher difficulties, even that one burst can seriously hurt you. But on a normal difficulty playthrough, they're about the only thing enemies do that you have to prioritize.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 03:34:06 pm »

I dunno if I agree about Batman. Guns are lethal, but you get so much time to react to guys having them, you're rarely surprised by them, and all it takes is a Batrang, a Bat Grapple, or a punch and it's been eliminated.

On higher difficulties, even that one burst can seriously hurt you. But on a normal difficulty playthrough, they're about the only thing enemies do that you have to prioritize.

I admit I never got the hang of using the tools during combat.  So I was just punching.   :P 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 04:43:38 pm »

I admit I never got the hang of using the tools during combat.  So I was just punching.   :P

Powered up Batarang, especially in Arkham Origins, is really useful for hitting guys far away without having to move. Gotta use them Quickfire keys.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 05:40:16 pm »

Heh, Sinistar was actually on-point with his original comment. OFP, A2:CA, and ArmA 3 pretty much are horror games to new players.

The aaaaaction menuuuuuuu~  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

GentlemanRaptor

• Bay Watcher
  • Got a present for ya!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2015, 06:41:37 pm »

ENEMY. MAN. TO OUR FRONT. CLOSE.
Amusingly, he's a Marksdwarf, which gives me the mental image of him conducting medical malpractice an appendectomy from fifty paces with a crossbow.
On bay12, a poll option of basically 'nuke the world' named 'Apocalypse Hitler' is like asking an alcoholic if they want some whiskey.

MasterFancyPants

• Bay Watcher
  • I LOVE TACOS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 08:57:08 pm »

GET IN. that. CAR. TO OUR. FRONT.
*it's a APC*
Quote from: Frumple
Flailing people to death with empty socks, though, that takes a lot of effort. Less so if the sock's made out of something interesting, but generally quite difficult.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2015, 11:24:01 pm »

The original Rainbow Six was pretty brutal in terms of firearm damage. One good burst could take down a team member in a split second. If you wound up in a firefight in that game, you did something wrong.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 10, 2015, 08:19:04 am »

Yea, the first rainbow six was really realistic with firearms. Your were expected to take a careful, tactical and stealthy approach to pretty much every mission. If you just waltz'd in guns blazing your character would just suddenly keel over due to being shot once a by terrorist out of your view. Its too bad it didn't have the greatest AI though, I remember a certain mission in which I cleaned out a building by just throwing flashbangs outside and shooting every enemy that came outside to check the noise. Turns out even the guys guarding the hostages would come out to check the suspicious loud noise :v

Anyway, that was the only game that made shotguns feel scary. For some reason, shotguns in modern games today are always kind of underwhelming for whatever reason. Either they pretend that shotguns can't hit anything past point blank (which, I tell you, they most certainly can, even using birdshot) or the shotgun does barely any damage, like in CSGO, in which I almost never see shotguns being used.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 08:32:31 am by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 10, 2015, 08:24:52 am »

I only ever want shotguns to sound nice, I don't care how inefficient it is, especially with a nice *Crack* *chck* *Crck* reload method.
Oh, on an on topic one, the Metro series, Hardcore Ranger difficulty, while I normally quickload every time I get spotted so I don't normally get in firefights, when they do come up you can be killed in a couple seconds, and pretty much all of the weapons have a good feel to them, so that's nice.
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2015, 10:32:57 am »

I think BLACK had some really meaty sounding guns, but I've never plaed it so I don't know if they were actually as powerful as they sounded.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2015, 10:35:27 am »

there was that infiltration mod for unreal tournament. you could get hit by high caliber guns behind walls, so no cheaty table cover and things like that.

a minimi was extremely lethal and suppression fire was actually possible since the volume and penentration of projectiles made a scary proposition to put your nose out when receiving constant large caliber fire

Cicero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2015, 10:40:15 am »

I can't believe no one has mentioned Hotline Miami. The guns in that game are all super deadly. I think one of the masks makes you able to survive a single shot but normally you die from a single shot.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2015, 11:31:07 am »

Doubling up for Cataclysm. Getting shot by an NPC when you're a melee god of death will mess you up right quick. (depends on gun)

Not quite just "Guns" but Mechwarrior 4 Mercs. Taking your nice shiny Heavy Mech out for a spin feels great and powerful, until you either take a full LRM salvo to the face or a good PPC or Railgun shot.
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2015, 09:01:26 pm »

It's pushing it, but Spelunky has terrifying guns in their singular environment. Shopkeeper pulls out a shotgun and you're probably dead.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4