Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: What games have made Guns scary?  (Read 5245 times)

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
Re: What games have made Guns scary?
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 09:22:54 pm »

Any kind of capture the flag style game which you can carry a flag or a gun, but not both. Doesn't help that I can't throw the flag to the enemy to catch it (with the right mods/mutators), and pop them and then collect later, because once they get the flag, it's teleported back to their base. Bombing Run was a different case because though that rule was enforced, I could at least pull that trick on them and screw them over in a jiffy, and score the point later on with minimal penalty.

Apparently, I worry more about losing than dying. Maybe because losing means my death was in vain. I mean, I'm gonna inevitably die, might as well be useful with it.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:30:20 am by Itnetlolor »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 10:24:19 pm »

The first STALKER with the right mods had some scary guns.  The default is horrible, it might take two or three hits to the head to kill somebody and sound effects make them sound like the kind of guns that'd take three headshots to kill somebody.
Shoes...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2015, 01:19:37 am »

Mount & Blade versions with guns (Napoleonic and With Fire and Sword) have quite scary guns. Basically, they will kill you on the first hit most of the time, as it should be. (I assume being "killed" includes being badly wounded and knocked out of action, so functionally removed from the game.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2015, 01:45:18 am »

they will kill you on the first hit most of the time, as it should be

Not if you know anything about guns of this time period.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2015, 02:10:42 am »

they will kill you on the first hit most of the time, as it should be

Not if you know anything about guns of this time period.
Alright, just shoot yourself with one and see if you feel like standing up and running around. :P

I recall firing an antique black powder rifle, it shot 50 caliber balls. 50 caliber! Those things were too big to swallow.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2015, 02:29:27 am »

They could certainly do killing blows... but it was by far not unusual for them to be deflected by your own coat because they lose a LOT of momentum from little distances.

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 02:46:45 am »

A musket could maim a man at 100 yards, so considering the distances you can hit someone with firearms in those games, I consider them accurate enough. Modeling the lower velocity with distance would be nice, maybe in M&B2... At close range though, a msuket ball will fuck you up, no question about that.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 02:47:50 am »

usually but Muskets not performing well isn't that unusual. It isn't unusual for them not to get the kill at point blank range.

MIND you... if they honestly modeled muskets realistically in Mount and Blade... the game would be freeken annoying.

Mind you mind you... not knowing whether or not you will be hit by someone aiming right for you... is scary in its own right.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 07, 2015, 04:14:45 am »

Musket balls had a tendency to fragment on impact, which can make some really nasty wounds (especially considering how big they are). With the medicine at that time being as bad as it was, pretty much every hit was lethal, one way or the other.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2015, 06:55:39 am »

ARMA 3 for me. Most of the time if me and my brother are being shot at, we have no idea which direction it's coming from and our only hope is to take cover and pray for the best. It's a very tense experience, not even being able to fire back.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 09:51:13 am »

Spy Party. There's only one shot, but when you see the laser pointer on your head for a bit longer than usual as a spy, or the moment you decide to take that shot as sniper... Both get my heart in overdrive every time.
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 09:53:32 am »

Guns don't usually kill people instantly unless they hit the central nervous system, that applies to modern guns too.  That doesn't mean people take them and keep going. 

Really as far as hard physiological mechanisms go, there's not a whole lot of reason to fall down when you get shot.  Pain, fear, conditioning, instinct, there's a lot of reasons you fall down when you get shot but damage to the body usually isn't one of them.

Mount and Blade it especially works out since people can be knocked out.  Not everybody who falls down when shot is dead, at least instantly.  Muskets also had a tendency to set your clothes on fire.
Shoes...

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 12:34:25 pm »

:v muskets were mostly deadly because of infections and lead poisoning. The shots easily fragmented which made surgery very, very hard for a civil war period medic to save people. They also hurt like hell too, which is prob why people would fall down after being shot.

If you're shot with a normal, non expanding round fired from, say, a 9mm handgun today, chances are the bullet will go cleanly through you (if you aren't wearing anything thick) and its really not as deadly as it sounds, as long as it doesnt hit any essential organs or blood vessels and you get medical attention fast enough. However, if you're hit with an expanding round or any ammunition with good stopping power, even if it doesnt hit any essential parts, chances are you're going to die from bloodloss and fall down from the pain caused by the horrible wound expanding ammunition can cause. So yea, most of the time, with small caliber rifles and handguns, its more about the ammo and the wound placement then the gun itself.

Anyway, that aside, a game that made guns a fair bit scary was Silent Storm (Sentinels expansion included). Before you started a game, you could turn some options on that made headshots deadly and other things. That, including the fact your characters can permanently die even during random encounters, made the game's guns quite scary. A single, nearly dead enemy soldier could pull out his backup pistol and get a lucky headshot on one of your characters and poof, they're dead forever.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 12:57:55 pm »

Batman games.  Every time a thug picked up a gun and it wasn't a stealth takedown mission I was all like "Oh shit oh shit oh shit". 
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 02:41:17 pm »

I always thought Resident Evil 4 was a good example of deescalation due to guns. You start out the game with just a pistol in the woods, and every enemy you fight (the first time you play the game) is challenging. When you get to the village and are suddenly surrounded by several dozen ganados, it's terrifying. The game throws more ganados (and a chainsaw guy!) at you if you manage to find the shotgun, so that's not much better.

The further you get, the more the game shifts narratively from horror to action. By the end of the game, you're mowing down about as many ganados in a minute as there were in that whole village scene. You have a rifle, a magnum, better ammo capacity, a goddamn rocket launcher and mine thrower are available, and the enemies get more ridiculous.

The game manages to remain tense by making the enemies more frightening as you go, but they're scary in a way that isn't as relatable because everything gets so outlandish.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4