Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Don't jump off the ~ing castle, you beard-brains!  (Read 8643 times)

Paaaad

• Bay Watcher
  • Mainly a lurker unfortunetley.
    • View Profile
Re: Don't jump off the ~ing castle, you beard-brains!
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 07:26:00 pm »

You can carve fortifications into constructed walls? :o

Since basically forever. Yes. *Facepalm*
Unity! Duty! Destiny!

Does the walker chose the path, or the path the walker?

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 07:38:39 pm »

They're not jumping as such, this is the dodging mechanic. But yes, as stated, just build (or carve) fortifications. If you need help making them stand next to them, block off space with statues - they can still dodge into statues, but they won't stand in those spots.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 08:15:18 pm »

They're not jumping as such, this is the dodging mechanic. But yes, as stated, just build (or carve) fortifications. If you need help making them stand next to them, block off space with statues - they can still dodge into statues, but they won't stand in those spots.

I don't think they were dodging.  The goblins were not shooting back and they stayed on the top of the castle obediently until after they had fired several rounds into the goblins. 
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 08:41:27 pm »

I don't think they were dodging.  The goblins were not shooting back and they stayed on the top of the castle obediently until after they had fired several rounds into the goblins.

Possible, but you should build fortifications anyway, because if not, when the goblins DO shoot back, they will likely dodge off...
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 08:42:25 pm »

Possible, but you should build fortifications anyway, because if not, when the goblins DO shoot back, they will likely dodge off...

And assuming they survive, probably break something on the way down or go rambo (and fail.)

InsaneRationalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 09:04:43 pm »

I belive the way to fix this is:
Code: [Select]
                 ____ <- roof (possibly with weapon or cage traps)
ammo/booze/etc   OΩ># <- archer stands on down stair
  stockpiles  -> __<O  v bad stuff here v
                  OOO  _______________ <- more traps
                  OOO~~O <- magma moat

O wall            _ floor
# fortification   <> stairs
Ω statue for anti-dogding purposes

Does this not work anymore or are you just (rightly) complaining about archers being somehow even more stupid than usual for dwarfs?
Dwarf Fortress: where an exploding unicorn death factory is a goal unto itself.
If it has cute cuddly features, it's probably safe to eat, so do not reason with it either.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2015, 08:33:43 am »

magma solves most things

InsaneRationalist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2015, 02:37:59 pm »

magma solves most things
Err, the magma moat was just to keep invaders from climbing up the wall; I meant the roof to keep the dwarfs from climbing over.
Edit: granted, it really does.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 09:20:52 pm by InsaneRationalist »
Dwarf Fortress: where an exploding unicorn death factory is a goal unto itself.
If it has cute cuddly features, it's probably safe to eat, so do not reason with it either.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2015, 01:48:01 pm »

magma solves most things
Err, the magma moat was just to keep invaders from climbing up the wall; I meant the roof to keep the dwarfs from climbing over.
Edit: granted, it really does.

Yeah, just roof over your archer towers. I always do. Keeps the rocs away, too.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Devin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2015, 02:31:02 pm »

Fortifications! Bastiongate's walls saved me from a webbing titan in year 2. My marksdwarves were perfectly content to stand behind the fortifications and shoot at the titan whenever it came near. Eventually the thing died from ten thousand silver bolts and I opened the gate and gathered the bodies of the two migrant waves that had died.

I'll never forget the time I sallied forth my whole military to engage a bronze colossus in glorious battle.  As it crested the hill to descend upon my gathered ranks of dwarves, one brave marksdwarf raised her crossbow, took aim, and loosed.  The copper bolt sped forth and struck the colossus right between the eyes killing it instantly.

It was awe inspiring, but also kind of a let down.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2015, 02:55:08 pm »

I'll never forget the time a web-spitting pterodactyl came to my fort. It was trapavoid, so it bypassed the trap perimeter. It had wings, so it flew over the walls and moat. It had webs, so my military was useless. My squad of marksdwarves had no bolts. This might be the one thing that could end Bastiongate. But one of my spearmasters stabbed it in the head as it crested the walls. No casualties.

TheHossofMoss

• Bay Watcher
  • "Man muss Heu machen, solange die Sonne scheint."
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2015, 03:29:18 pm »

My favorite experience with fortifications was when I had this several z-level tower. One part was training for my Fortress Guard, the other was a lookout post for my marksdwarves.

My damned champion and best hammerdwarf charged each other, and they both fell to their deaths through the fortifications. It was so infuriating it was funny.
On the Fifth Day of Axemas, my love saved the fort from...
Five sieging Werebeasts, four Giant Dingoes, three sneaky Thieves, two drunken Black bears, and a Titan killing spree!

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2015, 04:16:36 pm »

I had a spearmaster get tackled through two tiles of wall into the magma moat. At least I got his stuff back, since it was all steel. Feels bad man.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2015, 02:26:46 pm »

Theoretically, you could put all the marksdorves in minecarts.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2015, 03:22:22 pm »

Theoretically, you could put all the marksdorves in minecarts.

This has been theorized, but has anyone accomplished it?

I keep reading peoples suggestion of "build fortifications," and I can't help but wonder who isn't building fortifications? I've reread the thread twice to try and find out who these suggestions are addressed to and can't find anyone who mentioned not using fortifications...
Pages: 1 [2] 3