Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Haze - A Persistent World for NWN2  (Read 5331 times)

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Haze - A Persistent World for NWN2
« on: January 04, 2008, 07:01:00 pm »

What's this DR? Are you... advertising?

Yes! But only because the product is really good. And free.

Lemme just break out the recruitment boilerplate...

What is HAZE?

NWN2 Haze is a persistent world, role-playing server set in the Dungeons and Dragons Forgotten Realms universe. That means the server is always up, unlike some role-playing campaigns for NWN2 which are only up certain hours of certain days. NWN2 Haze promises to be the defining hardcore roleplay experience for NWN2. As a re-imagining of the Hall of Fame awarded Haze (from NWN1), developed by members of the same team and with an additional two years of experience, it will deliver the same strictly enforced high-impact, high-intensity Forgotten Realms roleplay experience.

Employing permanent death and a huge number of custom systems and tweaks, NWN2 Haze offers a whole new kind of gritty, immersive, edge-of-your-seat roleplay that other servers can't deliver. Through a talented team of Dungeon Masters and bold ideas, NWN2 Haze is a world that rewards good roleplay with great fun, and gives characters the opportunity to conquer or fall by their own actions.

Here's its website: http://www.nwn2haze.com

Okay, that's a nice cover story, what is Haze really?

Haze is a hardcore roleplaying server for NWN2. Enforced roleplaying, permadeath, and DM run events. Your actions have real consequence and the world of Haze can change based on how players act. Enemies are not simply there to be killed, they also have their own living, and breathing system that will change and fight back should you encroach on them.

Permadeath?

Yup, permadeath. If your character dies, there is a 1% chance of being ressurected automatically by your diety. Other then that, the chances of you being ressurected for something short of a bug, exploit, or OOC problem is slim to none. This means that when your town gets attacked or your patrol ambushed, you'rre running for your characters life. And yes, this is a full PVP server, which means you can kill other players (With restrictions, see below).

Why!? Why should I waste all my time playing a game if when my character dies, I have to start completely over?

That's a good question. See, a lot of problems with MMO's and other games is that there are no consequences for your actions. People who are not fearful of death will end up doing stuff because they are bored.

Haze wants you to question your actions. If you decide to attack an orc village, you better be prepared to either face death there, or face death when the orcs decide to attack your town a few days later.

Okay, this sounds kinda interesting. What's the setting?

Haze is a low level, low magic, realistic setting. Set in the Forgotten Realms campaign setting several hundred years before the Time of Troubles (RE: Bhaal is still alive and hasn't begun to breed yet). Haze takes place on an island. A good majority of the island's population are also shipwrecked characters (And we swear, Haze was out before Lost). Together, you must work towards your survival.

The island is divided into four hamlets, each racially segregated. Each town has limited access to a select few resources needed to make tools, weapons and armor needed for survival. The hamlets live and die by trade.

So what is there to do?

That largely depends on you and your character. This isn't another MMO where you run out and kill things to collect their stuff. This is a living, breathing environment. If you spend time acting out your character, he will eventually find his own thing to do.

I'm not going to lie and tell you there's always something going on, or that things will happen quickly. We've had periods of time where nothing big has happened only to have things explode over the weekend. However, if you stay active you'll almost always have someone to talk to. There's also things like crafting that can take up (a bit) of time, as well as DM events which tend to happen every so often.

What race/class do I choose?

Whatever you want. Right now at the time of this post, the human/half-elf/half-orc/gnome/halfling consortium have the most players, with the elves and dwarves having a decent number too.

Fenrir

Re: Haze - A Persistent World for NWN2
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2008, 07:05:00 pm »

I've never seen spam this great in length or so literate. I hope this doesn't continue.

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2008, 07:09:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>I've never seen spam this great in length or so literate. I hope this doesn't continue.</STRONG>

It's not really spam per se. I, as a user of this service, am telling people about said service because I enjoy it and I think that they might too.

Fenrir

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2008, 08:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by DR:
<STRONG>

It's not really spam per se. I, as a user of this service, am telling people about said service because I enjoy it and I think that they might too.</STRONG>

The spam bot is talking too meeee!   :eek:

Holy carp! Am I trolling?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2008, 09:02:00 pm »

I remember hearing about Haze back when I played ALFA, if I ever get the chance to pick up a copy of NWN2 I may look into it.

quote:
Originally posted by Fenrir:
<STRONG>Holy carp! Am I trolling?</STRONG>
Yes.
My dwarves are not your dwarves.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2008, 10:56:00 pm »

HOW IS THIS RELEVANT TO... wait we are int he various nonsense subforum, guess it ain't spam after all then.

Sounds better than most of those games, and for being a mod, but I will stick to DF. Maybe if I ever for some mysterious reason would dig up that old disc from my "before DF when I to were corrupted" box, but that ain't going to happen.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 08:05:00 am »

I might buy NWN 2 once I have a decent computer and the majority of players start having decent grasp of what roleplaying means. From what I've heard it's generally not much better from WoW's "roleplaying" servers right now, although I hope this can be proved wrong. Until then I'm sticking to NWN.

Also, the last time I heard NWN 2's multiplayer support was quite messed up, but apparently it allows permanent worlds after all. Or did you just find a way around it?

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 08:10:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Jusal:
<STRONG>From what I've heard it's generally not much better from WoW's "roleplaying" servers right now, although I hope this can be proved wrong.</STRONG>
This is likely a mistaken impression. The quality and style of roleplaying varied widely between persistent worlds in the first game.

I see no reason the communities would change for the sequel.

[ January 05, 2008: Message edited by: Red Jackard ]

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 08:32:00 am »

quote:
<STRONG>I might buy NWN 2 once I have a decent computer and the majority of players start having decent grasp of what roleplaying means. From what I've heard it's generally not much better from WoW's "roleplaying" servers right now, although I hope this can be proved wrong. Until then I'm sticking to NWN.

Also, the last time I heard NWN 2's multiplayer support was quite messed up, but apparently it allows permanent worlds after all. Or did you just find a way around it?</STRONG>

Haze is 100% proper roleplaying. That said, it is a low level, low magic survivalist setting, which may not be to everyone's tastes.

Cajoes

• Bay Watcher
  • "I'm a damn cat."
    • View Profile
    • http://none
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 09:14:00 am »

How low is a low magic enviroment, exactly?
Asking as a mage who practically eats magic swords to stay alive.
Quote from: Roman Proverb
Do not argue against the sun. For it is a lot brighter than you are.

Jusal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2008, 09:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Red Jackard:

I see no reason the communities would change for the sequel.

Personally I do see a reason for this. NWN 2 is still relatively new and so attracts all kinds of people to try it, those who enjoy roleplaying and those who don't. Meanwhile NWN is starting to be rather old, with a smaller playerbase consisting of those who are either too stubborn to switch to the sequel or simply don't have the computer power it requires.

I would predict a similar change in NWN 2 to happen eventually, leaving only those players with enough patience to truly enjoy the game.

DR

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2008, 09:49:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Cajoes:
<STRONG>How low is a low magic enviroment, exactly?
Asking as a mage who practically eats magic swords to stay alive.</STRONG>

Players have access to very little magic. Potions and stuff like that exist, but are rare. There are no +1 swords or anything like that.

Wiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2008, 09:52:00 am »

Has NWN2 changed much since release? I bought it when it came out, but I didn't keep it installed for very long. I had a lot of fun on some of the first game's playerworlds.

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2008, 09:58:00 am »

At least it's in the right section and not another spam bot. And the poster has been around for a while.
Eh?
Eh!

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2008, 01:06:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>

Personally I do see a reason for this. NWN 2 is still relatively new and so attracts all kinds of people to try it, those who enjoy roleplaying and those who don't. Meanwhile NWN is starting to be rather old, with a smaller playerbase consisting of those who are either too stubborn to switch to the sequel or simply don't have the computer power it requires.

I would predict a similar change in NWN 2 to happen eventually, leaving only those players with enough patience to truly enjoy the game.</STRONG>

I am referring to the persistent worlds that decided to transition from NWN1 to NWN2. They aren't going to suddenly change their entire style of RP just because the game mechanics are slightly different.
Pages: [1] 2 3