Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Do you think that people like birds? Also, do you like birds?

Yes, I think people as a whole like birds, and I myself like birds.
Yes, I  think people as a whole like birds, though I myself do not like birds.
No, I do not think people as a whole like birds, though I myself do like birds.
No, I do not think people as a whole like birds, and I myself do not like birds.
Well, I think people as a whole are indifferent towards birds, though I myself like birds.
Well, I think people as a whole are indifferent towards birds, though I myself do not like birds.
Well, I think people as a whole are indifferent towards birds, and I myself am indifferent towards birds.
Yes, I think people as a whole like birds, though I myself am indifferent towards birds.
No, I think people as a whole no not like birds, though I myself am indifferent towards birds.

Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: A question of dire importance to my sanity; please respond:  (Read 4423 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: A question of dire importance to my sanity; please respond:
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 04:13:26 am »

Doves kill rival doves then kill their children just to make sure. Bird of peace is best bird

Giggleburt

• Escaped Lunatic
  • I am a circus dwarf... STRONG AND PROUD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 08:16:12 am »

Salutations, all!

I am the eponymous friend from the original post. I shall also refrain from revealing my opinion on the matter.

I will also emphasize that the wager itself that has been struck is 'whether you believe that man, as a universal, more often than not, holds a favorable disposition towards avians.' It is quite lovely that many of you are professing amorous proclamations for the ornithological varieties, although, do pay careful attention that you specifically respond whether you think people like birds.

Many thanks, your suffrage is indispensable... And by that, I mean it is worth a potential twenty bucks.
I don't always excavate the Hisarlik, but when I do, I BLOW IT UP!

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 08:29:46 am »

I do find most birds likeable and fascinating, and I do think that most people share my positive attitude, at least when common passerines are in question. There are some notable exceptions, though. For example, turkeys are the ugliest animals in existence, no contest. (Warning: Ugly Pictures are UGLY.) 

...and ostriches are just plain fucking scary.

Only madness and death lurks in those eyes.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 08:34:36 am »

Birds are viewed in a positive light, for reasons LordBucket has (as always) shown better then I could.

This isn't to say they SHOULD be seen so positively, as many on Bay12 can attest that they can have utterly EVIL personalities, such as Loud Whispers pointing out the dove fact, and the fact that ducks have NATURALLY SELECTED around their tendency for rape.

Birds are nice as long as we are bigger then them, but if you ever piss off an ostrich all you have done is put "eaten by modern velociraptor" in your obituary.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 08:37:31 am »

Like, do I get to pick and choose my birds? I love me some songbirds and chickens and parrots, but wouldn't be too miffed if geese suddenly disappeared...
I'm afraid the question is one of grand hypotheticals. It is a purely abstract argument, dealing with philosophical ideals and essential definitions. Birds and people of every kind must be boiled down into singular ideas for the true answering of it.

I'd say that the majority of humans are indifferent to birds as a whole, and as such don't fall into either side of the poll. It's like, there's some birds that are kinda cool to look at, but actually dealing with real birds is annoying. It's not a net positive or negative either way.
Right you are, good sir! I shall edit the poll to remedy my ignoring of a critical point of view.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 04:17:47 pm »

Birds are viewed in a positive light, for reasons LordBucket has (as always) shown better then I could.

This isn't to say they SHOULD be seen so positively, as many on Bay12 can attest that they can have utterly EVIL personalities, such as Loud Whispers pointing out the dove fact, and the fact that ducks have NATURALLY SELECTED around their tendency for rape.

Birds are nice as long as we are bigger then them, but if you ever piss off an ostrich all you have done is put "eaten by modern velociraptor" in your obituary.

I reiterate: Sparrows are flying rats. They're vermin whose only use is eating pest insects in agricultural areas. They burrow into your walls and drive all other birds away. Except (at least where I live) the peregrine falcons that eat them, bless their sharp-taloned little hearts.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 04:38:52 pm »

Yeah, on the net, people have a positive view of dinosaurs. Much of that has to do with not actually being around the dinosaurs, but people overall like 'em. Nice colored flying prettynoise things that don't really get in your way, is the general sort of feeling I get from most folks talkin' about 'em. Also some they never see and that we more or less torture on a basically species-wide scale taste delicious, netting the general lot a bonus appreciation nudge.

Me, I like dinosaurs in general, but have an unwavering hatred of certain species. Any of them bigger than me, because they want to kill and/or eat me. Chickens, because they want to kill and/or eat everything. Stuff like that. Most people I've met that have more than a cursory appreciation of dinosaurs have similar reactions -- on the net, dinosaurs are alright, but certain ones...

... incidentally, about half that for the more informed individuals seems to be due to the fact that they're dinosaurs, and that's awesome. Which is a position I can't fault, really.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 05:25:12 pm »

Cassowaries are the dinosauriest of dinosaurs, and they'll go Jurassic Park on your ass if you dispute their lineage.
I mean, just look at those murderous claws and try calling dinosaurs extinct.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 05:57:48 pm »

Sparrows are flying rats.

Rats are affectionate, intelligent and cute. They only have a bad reputation because of the black plague and because they like to drink human blood and eat human babies.

I am the eponymous friend from the original post. I shall also refrain from revealing my opinion on the matter.

I think the poll shows a clear majority of favorable views. I would be curious to hear about the original situation that prompted the thread.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 05:59:37 pm »

I need more info before I can answer this.

Does "enjoying eating their meat" count as "liking birds" ?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 06:20:51 pm »

Sparrows are flying rats.

Rats are affectionate, intelligent and cute. They only have a bad reputation because of the black plague and because they like to drink human blood and eat human babies.

Yes, when they're tame. So are a wide variety of other animals which we've domesticated. That doesn't mean that wild ones can't be pests that leave little ankle-twisting holes in the ground, crap all over your house if they manage to get into it in search of food, carry diseases and vermin, &c.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

CrzyMonkeyNinja

• Bay Watcher
  • He strikes from above...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 01:31:18 pm »

Does "enjoying eating their meat" count as "liking birds" ?
Hmmm..... I'd say yes.
“I do not love the bright sword for it's sharpness, nor the arrow for it's swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend” - J.R.R. Tolkien

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 02:12:33 pm »

I empathise far more strongly with birds than with humans for some reason, but I can't speak for everyone.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 03:36:32 am »

I empathise far more strongly with birds than with humans for some reason, but I can't speak for everyone.
Because you want to flyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 06:50:57 am »

Besides all those damn elves in peace with nature here...

How is the sanity of the OP doing?
In a time before time, I had a name.
Pages: 1 [2] 3