Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20

Author Topic: Engraving Game  (Read 10395 times)

Slanted

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Engraving Game
« Reply #210 on: January 19, 2008, 04:11:00 pm »

quote:
Apparently no one has guessed it, so I'll add to it.

On the wall is an engraving of a large human, a small human, and piranhas. The large human is raising the small human. The small human is speaking to the large human. The piranhas are jumping at the small human.

And one more to add:

On the wall is an engraving of a large human, small humans, and a sarcophagus. The large human is emerging from the sarcophagus. The large human is shooting and killing the small humans.

Ah, hell with it.

On the wall is an engraving of a large human and a polar bear. The polar bear is making a plaintive gesture. The large human is making a threatening gesture.  

The Punisher. The "sarcophagus" was the best part of the game.

On the wall is an engraving of a human on a rocket, and a human on a rocket . The human is throwing the rope. The rope is hitting the human. The human is falling.

[ January 19, 2008: Message edited by: Slanted ]

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 19, 2008, 04:36:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Firemage:
<STRONG>On the wall is an engraving of a troll, a puppy and giant ants. The troll is holding the puppy. The puppy is dead. The giant ants are surrounding the troll.</STRONG>

ADOM? I remember having some fun in that game. I mostly liked how wizards could "cast away" and actually be combat-capable creatures using magic alone, unlike most other games.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: January 19, 2008, 10:14:00 pm »

Engraved on the wall is an image of a scientist, a crossbow and mechanisms. The scientist is firing the crossbow, the mechanisms are vanishing.
Fire of Algir Mountain - A quest that doesn't involve getting a crown.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: January 19, 2008, 10:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by slMagnvox:
<STRONG>The map has markings named Heliopios[/i]</STRONG>

Is this a mis-spell?

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: January 20, 2008, 03:59:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dark:
<STRONG>Engraved on the wall is an image of a scientist, a crossbow and mechanisms. The scientist is firing the crossbow, the mechanisms are vanishing.</STRONG>

Incredible Machine / Crazy Machines?

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

McDoomhammer

• Bay Watcher
  • Uses: Ore of irony
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: January 20, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

quote:
Engraved on the wall is an image of a scientist, a crossbow and mechanisms. The scientist is firing the crossbow, the mechanisms are vanishing.  

Half-Life, or HL2, surely?

"KILL, KILL, KILL! NOTHING SHALL STAND BETWEEN US AND THE CEREAL BAR!"
-The Violent Council of Breakfast

Firemage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: January 20, 2008, 06:42:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>
ADOM? I remember having some fun in that game. I mostly liked how wizards could "cast away" and actually be combat-capable creatures using magic alone, unlike most other games.</STRONG>

Correct!  :D

I hope I remembered correctly, that there were ants in the puppy cave...
Despite my name, I like troll healers most in that game because of their insane regeneration rates. But wizards and elementalists are my second favourite classes there. And even with them I try to use magic only in an emergency, like beeing surrounded by giant ants, or beeing surrounded by anything actually. I am no expert in ADOM though. My best was reaching the water temple.
Ah man, I just hope the dev of ADOM works on his game this year for a change...

MyBeardIsOnFire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: January 21, 2008, 12:58:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Sean Mirrsen:
<STRONG>Strrriiiiiike THREE!

Nope, not Dungeon Lords.
Cast down your eyes and be ashamed, this was Severance: Blade of Darkness, proudly the best action-slasher since the dawn of time. I can't imagine a more DF'ish game, where you can grab a stool and whack your opponent to death with it.   :)</STRONG>

Aargh! I can't believe I didn't try guessing this! I had the disc on my table all the time, and yet I kept thinking back to something more retro. Sweet game it is, nothing beats cleaving teleporting demons apart or mincing your opponent's limp swaying body. My only gripe was that the controls weren't very smooth.

Anyway, nobody answered mine. They were probably too obscure...

quote:
On the wall is an engraving of a girl and a cat. The cat is dead. The girl is weeping.

is American Mcgee's Alice (yes, there were plenty of other ways I could have referenced this)

quote:
This is a sterling silver pendant. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality.
On the item is an engraving of a human in sterling silver. The human is traveling.
On the item is an engraving of a humans and a shadowy figure in sterling silver. The shadowy figure is striking down the humans.

is The Way. One of the few really good games made in RPG Maker 2k. The riddle was very obvious, so I bet simply nobody here played it. If you're planning to get it, search for Crestfallen Studios.
iantspider stands before you!
Giantspider...killed Yourlast Adventurer
Giantspider...killed Yo Momma

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: January 21, 2008, 02:41:00 pm »

Alright, just for educational value, I'll answer the two my riddles that went (and no doubt would have went forever) unanswered.

The gliders one is Mechanoids, known in your West as A.I.M. More specifically, A.I.M. 2, because the first part probably was not released outside of Russia.

The one with the Sharatar heavy cruiser, a thousand fighters, and an orbital base is Remember Tomorrow. It has an english name, despite never being released in any english-speaking country. Even though it's been, quite ironically, mostly forgotten, it still stands out as a game posessing two features hardly ever repeated in any global space RTS.
[offtopic]
The game's first innovative feature, though not the most praised, was the nonlinear research akin to real-life research, where you could assign scientists to theoretical sciences like maths, physics, biology, and chemistry, and through them open up applied sciences like cold fusion, element particles, subspace, automatization, etc, that will, given enough scientist-hours, will lead to certain items becoming available. I think Space Empires 5 (or was it GalCiv2?) came pretty close to that.
The second feature, and the most unique of the game, was the ship designer. You would never expect an action-RTS (I didn't mention the global scale part of he game went in realtime?) to throw puzzles at you, but in the ship designer, you were thrown against one of those. The entire ship's profile is marked with a grid of small cells, with various large and narrow spaces, and areas specific for certain parts like engines and weapon mounts, that were still available for any fitting part. The puzzle in this case is trying to maximize the ship's effectiveness by balancing weapon power, speed, range, sensors, special abilities, shields, spacecraft hangar space, and some more, against total required power and the generators that are required for it, ship mass, and resources required, all crammed into the space limited by the ship. Some of the components you acquire through research posess exactly the same (sometimes even worse) parameters as those you already have by the time, but are aligned and shaped differently, allowing you to stick more of them into the ship, making you spend quite some time in the shipyards' design module, maximizing your ships' effectiveness. An example is the mark two fuel tank, that uses more energy while storing the same amount of fuel, but is a 4x6 rectangle instead of the normal 5x5, allowing to place it in the bow of the Vagalar corvette, for example, where no other components could be placed before. With 6 races to play with, and 4 capital, 5 fighter, and 2 satellite class hulls available for each, the battles in the game are won and lost in the design module.

However, no matter how I advertise it here, nobody will play it, alas, because it is only in Russian. If you were looking for a reason to learn Russian though...  ;)

The only place I can think of where the game can be downloaded (legally, I must add, since it's 10+ years old by now and the developer is long gone) is here.
[/offtopic]

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: January 22, 2008, 04:42:00 am »

Engraved on the wall is an image of a snake and a snake. The snake is striking down the snake.
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Ari Rahikkala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: January 22, 2008, 05:45:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Furious Fish:
<STRONG>Engraved on the wall is an image of a snake and a snake. The snake is striking down the snake.</STRONG>

Something in the Metal Gear Solid series, I guess. Never played them. MGS 3, maybe?

Furious Fish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 22, 2008, 06:42:00 am »

Yeah, it was the original MGS I was thinking of (Solid Snake vs Liquid Snake).
Slave to Hogfroth - God of Muck

Ari Rahikkala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 22, 2008, 07:21:00 am »

Yay!

* passes the buck with an easy one *

On the floor is an engraving of the word "Elbereth".

Tenebrys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: January 22, 2008, 08:33:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Ari Rahikkala:
<STRONG>Yay!

* passes the buck with an easy one *

On the floor is an engraving of the word "Elbereth".</STRONG>

On the wall is an engraving of an archaeologist and a newt.  The archaeologist is dead.  The newt is laughing.

Yep, Nethack.

Red Jackard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Wiki Page
« Reply #224 on: January 22, 2008, 09:11:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Torak:
<STRONG>On the wall is a picture of one skeletal human and two humans. The skeletal human is garbed in black. He is laughing. The human is armored in steel. He is mourning. The other human is dead.</STRONG>
The Rise of Wesnoth?

On the wall is an engraving of a wraith and a vampire. The wraith is striking down the vampire.

My dwarves are not your dwarves.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 20