Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Mussels  (Read 10382 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Mussels
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 03:21:45 am »

As I said, I am currently making shell crafts 24/7 with a legendary bonecarver, but to no avail.. Considering the rate at which this one became legendary, I could probably train another one. Masterwork shell crafts seem to be worth around 100 dorfbucks though, and exceptional ones about fifty, so they have decent value for something so abundant. My fisherdwarves just don't seem to catch anything but mussels.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 03:24:48 am »

Necromancers + Mussels = Necromussel army

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 04:39:47 am »

What about kitting out your entire fortress in masterwork shell armor?  Might be a worthy diversion.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 05:12:00 am »

Just decorate EVERYTING with shell. You never know - you might end up with some interesting or unusual artworks.
This is a blank sig.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 05:20:16 am »

I don't think you can reanimate mussels, sadly. I don't even have a tower nearby, I think.

What about kitting out your entire fortress in masterwork shell armor?  Might be a worthy diversion.
This is probably the best option. How strong is mussel shell armor, though? Stronger than copper? (I only have tetrahedrite and native gold until I dig a bit deeper, I've been busy getting everything up to speed.)

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 05:45:28 am »

As I said, I am currently making shell crafts 24/7 with a legendary bonecarver, but to no avail.. Considering the rate at which this one became legendary, I could probably train another one. Masterwork shell crafts seem to be worth around 100 dorfbucks though, and exceptional ones about fifty, so they have decent value for something so abundant. My fisherdwarves just don't seem to catch anything but mussels.

o-r-s, dump all shells when you want. Just design a garbage pit with an atom-smasher.

You can also make shell helms and gauntlets, which should consume shells faster than normal crafts. I don't like bins, so I make bone and shell helms because I can filter their names easily in trade depot menu.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 06:24:07 am »

I don't think you can reanimate mussels, sadly. I don't even have a tower nearby, I think.

This is probably the best option. How strong is mussel shell armor, though? Stronger than copper? (I only have tetrahedrite and native gold until I dig a bit deeper, I've been busy getting everything up to speed.)

How strong is it? Better than leather, much worse than any metal.

Seriously, shells are useless outside of moods, so you may as well add a small amount of value by decorating everything rather than cluttering up your fort with a large number of low value items. Shell decorations are kinda cool if low value - shell handles on buckets are kind of cool... *shrugs*
This is a blank sig.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 07:01:25 am »

On that note, it only works if ypu dont intend to trade with elves. You force them to stop trading every time youoff er something decorated with shell. Otherwise, you would  have to go through and manually check every single item for shell decoration.
Why would elves care about shells?
Elves tend to care abour you selling them skeletons and snonal remains.
Nope. Only things that imply killing plants. They're okay with dead animals and sentients, although elves will only kill animals in self defense.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 10:34:44 am »

On that note, it only works if ypu dont intend to trade with elves. You force them to stop trading every time youoff er something decorated with shell. Otherwise, you would  have to go through and manually check every single item for shell decoration.
Why would elves care about shells?
Elves tend to care abour you selling them skeletons and snonal remains.
Nope. Only things that imply killing plants. They're okay with dead animals and sentients, although elves will only kill animals in self defense.

Actually its just trees.  They only care about killing trees.  They show up with tons of fruits/plant matter clothing to trade.  They also will trade in leather goods and freely take bone/shell/meat/animal hair as well.  I mean... elves are bloody CANNIBALS who regularly eat the corpses of those they slay in battle.  Why would they care about you killing horses?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 02:04:43 am »

Actually its just trees.  They only care about killing trees.  They show up with tons of fruits/plant matter clothing to trade.  They also will trade in leather goods and freely take bone/shell/meat/animal hair as well.  I mean... elves are bloody CANNIBALS who regularly eat the corpses of those they slay in battle.  Why would they care about you killing horses?
The relevant ethic token is KILL_PLANT. Nobody bothered to inform the elves that dwarves uproot the whole plant when making pig tail thread.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Cattani

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 10:40:38 am »

My river does not generate mussels anymore.
I know you can deplete the fish population on pools, but always thought rivers could generate infinite amounts of fish. When did this change?
Now I will have to find something to do with my elite fisherdwarfs -.-'

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 11:06:27 am »

My river does not generate mussels anymore.
I know you can deplete the fish population on pools, but always thought rivers could generate infinite amounts of fish. When did this change?
Now I will have to find something to do with my elite fisherdwarfs -.-'

Military. Remake them into engravers/miners/masons/mechanics/smiths. Or haulers.

They're just fisherdwarves after all.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 01:54:16 pm »

The mussel population is limited? Huh. I didn't know that.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 02:26:07 pm »

All vermin fish population is limited in pools, according to the bug tracker. Rivers and brooks are supposed to be fixed, but this is as of yet unconfirmed.
This is a blank sig.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 08:50:05 pm »

All vermin fish population is limited in pools, according to the bug tracker. Rivers and brooks are supposed to be fixed, but this is as of yet unconfirmed.

Rivers and brooks seem to be fixed. Years upon years of two guys fishing constantly (with the odd migrant who I missed helping now and then,) I've had thousands of mussels. More than I'd have probably gotten after years of harvesting on .34.11.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4