Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Mussels  (Read 10387 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Mussels
« on: April 04, 2015, 01:52:18 pm »

The artifact page on the wiki says that shells are the hardest to come by, but I find this to be very much not the case.
I have a LOT of mussels. They all produce shells. Even with a legendary mussel carver spamming me with masterwork mussel action figures of my militia captain hugging ducks, I cannot empty my shell/bone stockpile. I'm drowning in mussel shells. What do I DO with them?

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
Re: Mussels
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 01:53:53 pm »

Crafts.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 02:04:41 pm »

Decorate the hell out of everything.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 02:13:38 pm »

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 04:11:48 pm »

Weaponize them. Hint: minecart shotguns.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 08:32:13 pm »

On that note, it only works if ypu dont intend to trade with elves. You force them to stop trading every time youoff er something decorated with shell. Otherwise, you would  have to go through and manually check every single item for shell decoration.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 10:07:09 pm »

On that note, it only works if ypu dont intend to trade with elves. You force them to stop trading every time youoff er something decorated with shell. Otherwise, you would  have to go through and manually check every single item for shell decoration.
Why would elves care about shells?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2015, 10:34:30 pm »

Well some foreign items have wood and glass decorations.
Usually I will avoid them if I want to trade with elves.
But if everything has decorations on them...

It is not really a problem though. ::)
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

AceSV

• Bay Watcher
  • [SUPER_VILLAIN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2015, 10:54:05 pm »

Mussel shell crafts have terrible value, probably because mussels themselves are "vermin".  There are a million better uses of your dwarves' time than making crafts or decorating with mussel shell.  They are garbage to be thrown away. 

I'm not a fan of letting dwarves go fishing in the first place as it is potentially dangerous, time consuming and unreliable (unless you are building some kind of dorfy fish trap, which is potentially all of those 3 things anyways).  A good quality dyed plant-cloth robe will have enough value to buy half the seafood from a human caravan. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 11:04:28 pm by AceSV »
could God in fact send a kea to steal Excalibur and thereby usurp the throne of the Britons? 
Furry Fortress 3 The third saga unfurls.  Now with Ninja Frogs and Dogfish Pirates.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2015, 11:05:11 pm »

Mussel shell crafts have terrible value, probably because mussels themselves are "vermin".  There are a million better uses of your dwarves' time than making crafts or decorating with mussel shell.

If we actually bothered about value though, we'd be making wooden spiked balls 24/7.  OP just wants to know what to do with those mussel shells.  I second decorations.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2015, 11:09:16 pm »

Well fishing is a simple, no-brainer job. If you have nothing but a river, it is just convenient to use shells.
And we never run out of slaves dwarves...
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 12:10:33 am »

Why would elves care about shells?

Elves tend to care abour you selling them skeletons and snonal remains.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 12:16:10 am »

I sell them totems and other bone crafts.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 02:14:06 am »

Aye... Most of the time I am just looking for something to make my dorfs do.  Maximizing trade goods? Stuff your clothing and just make prepared meals.  Proper roasts made from quarry leaves/whip flour/dwarven syrup/high value meat (or at least huge meat stacks) eclipse lower end artifacts in price easily.  Particularly with trees and general-purpose OP herbalists, you can keep several cooks going none-stop.  Add in some trap lines to the caverns/trap choke points to mix in high value meat (everything from the caverns is at least x2 iirc).  You don't even need  close to legendary cooks to buy out early caravans with a handful of "prepared food barrels" worth 10-20k each. 

Bone crafting isn't that great of a skill to level, but if you lack metal they could always be masterwork shell armor? If nothing else, decorating/crafting with the shells disposes of the "garbage" while making a use of it. You can decorate peasant beds with them as well.  This serves as a cheap, easy decoration that should keep them more than happy.  Gems are a pita to use for peasant decorations unless you are using (magma powered) glass or stone... and even then they have to be cut first.  The value is far more than a peasant typically expects anyway.  Just build a furniture stockpile near your craftdorf shop and begin decorating beds... or tables/chairs for dining room. 

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 02:19:35 am »

I sell them totems and other bone crafts.

Aye... I regularly sell them bone crafts decorated with horn.  Since you can't brew fish, or turn them into bags/clothing I rarely fish.   Thus, I don't gain shells that often.  However... I tend to prefer "live training" my militia and put cage trap my cavern entrances (taming GCS make me so happy).  I like to embark with sheep as well (combined milk/meat/bone/leather/wool with the smallest grazing requirement! handy boogers), so I'm typically swarming in bones.  I wind up making tons of bone crossbows until I get however many masterworks I need then turn the rest into crafts/decorations.  I'd even decorate the "failed" crossbows with horn/bone and sell those.  In general, its far too easy to make "trade goods" and buy out caravans of all useful items- which are few enough as is.  I don't tend to worry about it and instead try to push up skills and in general keep my dorfs busy. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4