Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 47

Author Topic: Dragon Ball RPG (OOC/Applications) (Game has started)  (Read 57446 times)

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Ball RPG (Sign-ups Open)
« Reply #75 on: April 06, 2015, 07:10:47 pm »

Can't you just fire 10 of those ki bullets in quick sucession instead of making it an actual technique? Is firing 10 of them that different from firing just 1?

If you'd like a better (in my humble opinion) barrage attack how about increasing the amount of blasts (a few hundred or so)? Might even give it a reason to have a charge time.

And now, back to watching. I'd make a character if I wasn't so bad at roleplaying.
This would be pretty good for me, but I don't know if that's something I can do. I'm playing under the assumption that I can't say "do this attack 3 times" and it'll work, but if it does then that would be great because I'll be able to free up a technique slot for something else.

Yes-he lets non-damaging effects in. As in effects that do not damage. Do you understand that? He is very clear about how the damaging attacks should be calculated. What you are doing is simply annoying me.
He also lets in effects like "can cut through almost literally anything", so adding in damaging effects is possible.

Actually, you have an exertion of 9 not 8, so it should be an extra 8 damage every 9 seconds, or 78 damage total. Still absurd. And with the new rules, it should be 12 anyway.

Even assuming it isn't that broken, you still would be doing at least double what they did in an infinity less amount of time.
Ah, you're talking about the Manticore Bullet Barrage? To do that specific attack, a Manticore Gauntlet needs to be active at the same time. To do a single MBB, I'd need to create an MG (3 ex.), fire it (9 ex.), and then pay for the MG's maintenance (0.5 ex.) for a total of 12.5 exertion and only after charging up the Manticore Gauntlet (10 seconds). It's not as OP as you claim it to be.

EDIT: Just in case it wasn't clear before, to me, 'Charge' is only the time needed before the attack is made, not how long it takes for the actual attack to "exist". While the CBB takes 0 time to charge, it takes seconds between when the attack starts and when the attack ends.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:22:20 pm by Andres »
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Hawk132

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 06, 2015, 07:21:57 pm »

Still, that's an 8 damage attack in 10 seconds. According to GM's guidelines such attack would be charged in a little over a minute.
Perplexicon: A New Arena - Abandoned, but feel free to give it a read.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 06, 2015, 07:23:43 pm »

He also lets in effects like "can cut through almost literally anything", so adding in damaging effects is possible.

Cutting through almost anything isn't a damaging effect.

Ah, you're talking about the Manticore Bullet Barrage? To do that specific attack, a Manticore Gauntlet needs to be active at the same time. To do a single MBB, I'd need to create an MG (3 ex.), fire it (9 ex.), and then pay for the MG's maintenance (0.5 ex.) for a total of 12.5 exertion and only after charging up the Manticore Gauntlet (10 seconds). It's not as OP as you claim it to be.

....You are still completely missing the point.

As I said before, you had four extra. So assuming you spend ten seconds charging it (An act that would add 1 damage to a normal attack...) and the inertial 3, that means on T10 you would do 16 damage instead of T0. Assuming you keep it out, you would then gain .5 focus every turn, dealing an extra 8 damage every 18 turns. 42 damage, or 5.25 times what someone actually would be able to do while following the rules.

And before you make some other excuse, since you really do seem to be missing the point, I will point out again that this isn't what will really happen, and the scenario I set out is unlikely. What I am saying is that you are changing a core gameplay mechanic for no real reason, and you do not understand the effect it has on the game and expect other people to go along with it (such as making the DM make new rules to account for accuracy.) This is annoying to me.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 07:29:56 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 06, 2015, 07:29:08 pm »

Still, that's an 8 damage attack in 10 seconds. According to GM's guidelines such attack would be charged in a little over a minute.
See the edit above. I'm guessing that the rate of fire would be 1 ki bullet per second so it would actually be about 8 damage per 20 seconds, but that does seem excessive. I'm gonna see if I can do some maths and work it out.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 06, 2015, 07:31:22 pm »

And before you make some other excuse, since you really do seem to be missing the point, I will point out again that this isn't what will really happen, and the scenario I set out is unlikely. What I am saying is that you are changing a core gameplay mechanic for no real reason, and you do not understand the effect it has on the game and expect other people to go along with it (such as making the DM make new rules to account for accuracy.) This is annoying to me.

Read that again. It seems I was too late.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 06, 2015, 07:56:51 pm »

« Last Edit: March 25, 2017, 03:24:42 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 06, 2015, 08:00:36 pm »

Ok, so re-reading the rules and such, I've found a couple of things. First up, damage is 1+(1 per 10 seconds charge), so if I'm reading this right it's possible to do 1 damage attacks at 0 charge, increasing the damage of the attack for every 10 seconds of charge afterwards. Now, the thing about Charge is that it's optimised for singular high-damage attacks rather than multiple low-damage attacks. Energy waves rather than blast barrages, essentially. Energy waves you charge up while blast barrages you don't - that's just how they work.* As it is, I don't know how to simulate the properties of a blast barrage and I just went with what I hoped was right.
*Energy wave=(..........FIRE) Blast barrage=(firefirefirefirefirefirefirefirefirefire)
The idea was that while it didn't need to be charged up, its damage was spread out over several seconds, as opposed to an energy wave which released all its damage at once. Since there wasn't an Attack Time stat or anything, I'd thought this would've been implied or inferred or something, but I guess not. One solution is to have a 10 second barrage be representative of a barrage dealing 2 damage over 10 seconds but then what would be the 1 damage version of it that doesn't take 10 seconds? It can't be a single ki blast because it would do too much damage (2 damage was the result of 10 seconds of firing ki blasts) but it can't be more than a single ki blast because there's not enough time for anything more. As it is, the system seems set up exclusively for Kamehamehas while not leaving room for Continuous Die Die Missiles.

Yikes. I see that we're still having the vintage Power Level Experience.
???

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 06, 2015, 08:58:58 pm »

Revealed distilled aspects of the combat (not revealing the whole thing as it gets really complex), modified that charge time/damage relation, made minimum charge time as 1 time unit.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 06, 2015, 09:25:03 pm »

*Gives up on Andres* ...Ill just have to murderlate his character : p

So when do you think we will start?

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 06, 2015, 09:32:25 pm »

Assuming you keep it out, you would then gain .5 focus every turn, dealing an extra 8 damage every 18 turns.
Ignoring most things except this. The Manticore Gauntlets don't give me .5 Focus every turn - it drains .5 Focus every turn.

Revealed distilled aspects of the combat (not revealing the whole thing as it gets really complex), modified that charge time/damage relation, made minimum charge time as 1 time unit.
Ok, rebalancing my character now.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 06, 2015, 09:33:32 pm »

Assuming you keep it out, you would then gain .5 focus every turn, dealing an extra 8 damage every 18 turns.
Ignoring most things except this. The Manticore Gauntlets don't give me .5 Focus every turn - it drains .5 Focus every turn.

....You really didn't read the rules....

You regain 1 focus every turn. With a .5 drain, this turns into a .5 gain.

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 06, 2015, 09:45:01 pm »

....You really didn't read the rules....

You regain 1 focus every turn. With a .5 drain, this turns into a .5 gain.
I did read that, but I thought you meant it gets charged with .5 Focus every turn, giving it a proportional increase in damage (I didn't read your math).

Besides that, I think I've found a way to balance everything so long as I think to myself that a ki bullet does <1 damage and thus shouldn't be counted for combat. Thank you to Stirk's Demon Gun stats for inspiration.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:52:31 pm by Andres »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 06, 2015, 10:07:39 pm »

Ok, rebalancing done but not finished.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ok, for the CEB it needs 1 TU to charge up and then it fires all through-out until the next round, I think, using 4 TU to do the damage but not being active during the next round. Is this correct?
For the Manticore Gauntlet, I'm not sure whether it has a non-damaging effect or a damaging effect. On the one hand, it decreases the cost of firing the MBB which is non-damaging, but on the other hand it also increases melee damage, but on the other other hand, extra cutting power =/= more damaging, apparently, so for all I know it still counts as non-damaging somehow. Then again, even if it were damaging, its ability to damage isn't really an extra effect and is the basis for its base price.
The Manticore Bullet Barrage is fairly well-balanced, I think. Considering it requires the Manticore Gauntlet to be used, it needs a minimum of 6 TU and 4 Focus to be used, compared to the CEB's 1 TU and 1.5 Focus. After that, it would pay itself off after 5 turns of continuous use from saving .5 Focus every turn until it covers the 2.5 difference in Focus.

Is everything ok?

Shadestyle

• Bay Watcher
  • Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: Dragon Ball RPG (Interest Check/System Review)
« Reply #88 on: April 06, 2015, 10:18:02 pm »

Rebalanced around new parameters.

Spoiler: Sheet (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: June 19, 2015, 03:25:58 pm by Shadestyle »
You are now having excessive amounts of fun

Yourmaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Not the weirdest on Bay12!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 07, 2015, 08:10:49 am »

Is my sheet good? I'm unsure.