Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: World gen, kill em all.  (Read 1166 times)

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World gen, kill em all.
« on: April 04, 2015, 12:02:18 am »

A good world for me is one that looks sufficiently epic with mountain valleys and plains, a good world for me also includes the caveat that only one dwarven civilization if that should be alive. I've fiddled with world gen options for several hours each time I generate a world to play in trying to get that perfect spot of dead dwarfs to come in and safe, but it is difficult.

So I am wondering if I mod the game so that megabeast and normal fauna are even more dangerous would world gen take that into account and subsequently destroy more settlements? If I increase a civilization, say humans access to weapons and metals would they be more adept to survive? Or does the game ignore a civilizations and creatures strength and just randomly ends sites?

If more dangerous critters do in fact cause more sites to fall what sort of creature is more apt to topple sites and civilization?
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: World gen, kill em all.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2015, 03:56:14 am »

Oh no, sites definitely get wrecked by beasts, I have to turn it up to like 20 civs to get a decent number of survivors from a 150~175 year run in a 17x17 with 10 megabeasts/5 semimega/3 titans.

Klisz

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2015, 01:48:06 pm »

You could change [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:100] to [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:1] under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] in entity_default.txt - this would make there be only one dwarven civ to begin with.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2015, 03:37:43 pm »

You could change [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:100] to [MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:1] under [ENTITY:MOUNTAIN] in entity_default.txt - this would make there be only one dwarven civ to begin with.

That's actually the easiest way I can think of. Of course you could add some type of creature that likes to hunt dwarves only. (Found only in mountain regions) so that most civs would die.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2015, 04:40:00 pm »

The goal is not to have just one dwarven civilization, it is for the world to be so dangerous that only one or so can survive. 

That's actually the easiest way I can think of. Of course you could add some type of creature that likes to hunt dwarves only. (Found only in mountain regions) so that most civs would die.

So the game would recognize that something dangerous is living in the mountains during would gen and accurately display falling dwarven civilizations.
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2015, 09:26:55 pm »

Jack up megabeasts a good amount, I've also noticed that just making dragons use a steel-equivalent bone template makes them TERRIFYING in adventurer mode and they very rarely get killed during world-gen, tending to be responsible for numerous sacked sites each.