Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Gaming small touches thread  (Read 7434 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Gaming small touches thread
« Reply #15 on: April 04, 2015, 09:09:34 pm »

I especially liked the the-dev-team-thinks-of-everything-ing in the original Deus Ex. I'd give examples, but spoilers! Even for people who have played it. :P
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 04, 2015, 09:40:33 pm »

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheDevTeamThinksOfEverything

If anyone is interested :P

When bodies and debris don't vanish.
I love it. I remember setting up custom bridge battles in Shogun Total War ( first one ) just to look at those beautiful carpets forming while my naginata defended the bridge supported by archers.

I would love to see more non-vanishing tank/apc/car/aircraft wrecks in RTS/FPS games that can be used as cover or can obstruct the field of fire ( of course i mean games where you can deploy multiple random vehicles not the predefined ones ).

Some of the Spring RTS games have units and buildings form wrecks when they die that can obstruct lines of fire (especially some of the larger wrecks).
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 01:40:14 am »

ME was still way ahead of the childish duality in most Star Wars games (bluh), but in the end it still lapsed far into didactic parables that soured Renegade paths in a big way for me.

If I can cut in about Star Wars, I think Knights of the Old Republic II did pretty good with the light/dark duality. There was no benefit to being grey, of course, but the silliness of a "good or evil, nothing in between" system was often lampshaded and criticized. The Jedi's naive "DO GOOD THINGS ALL THE TIME" philosophy will only cause problems for the people you help, while the remaining true Sith are basically scars in the Force. There are plenty of instances where making typical good guy-bad guy choices will reveal a deeper side to the situation; for example, giving credits to a bum only encourages others to rob him.

My complaint with KOTOR II's morality system (besides the fact that you sometimes get Dark Side points for apparently good actions) is that there is no way to be grey, or make practical decisions depending on the situation. You are railroaded towards making either Light or Dark decisions so that Kreia can berate you for being dumb. IMO it's already the best thing the old Star Wars EU ever saw, but if it had actually been finished and the morality system tweaked it could have been a work of art in its own right.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 02:19:16 am »

I haven't played KotOR II, only 1 and some of the older ones. So there's that going against me.

I did read at some point that Lucas was rabidly militant about nothing in the entire franchise ever being morally ambiguous and personally quashing anything about the gray jedi, because morally ambiguous just isn't a thing that exists, apparently.

I had brief hope that his leaving the franchise might  yield something new. But Disney... so no.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 02:09:49 pm »

Just remembered something else while playing X-Wing again. You can not only film your combat, but when you replay them in the film room, you can enter the simulation anytime, and relive your finest moments. Even better, with computers as advanced as they are nowadays, compared to back then, you don't need to worry as much anymore about the film being too long or too large a filesize, in other words, I'm tempted to play Ace Combat debriefing music to a fast-forward of the combat if the battle was sufficiently awesome enough. Especially for scenes when I 1-shot TIEs (with a Y-Wing) without bullet-spamming like my wingmen do.

Of course, the simulation does not count towards your final score; so you'll need to actually replay the mission legitimately to make it count. But still, good to get some practice in (especially TIE Fighter sim mission 1, and just cutting straight to the squadron battles).
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 02:15:26 pm by Itnetlolor »

PrimusRibbus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 08:53:55 pm »

ME was still way ahead of the childish duality in most Star Wars games (bluh), but in the end it still lapsed far into didactic parables that soured Renegade paths in a big way for me.

If I can cut in about Star Wars, I think Knights of the Old Republic II did pretty good with the light/dark duality. There was no benefit to being grey, of course, but the silliness of a "good or evil, nothing in between" system was often lampshaded and criticized. The Jedi's naive "DO GOOD THINGS ALL THE TIME" philosophy will only cause problems for the people you help, while the remaining true Sith are basically scars in the Force. There are plenty of instances where making typical good guy-bad guy choices will reveal a deeper side to the situation; for example, giving credits to a bum only encourages others to rob him.

My complaint with KOTOR II's morality system (besides the fact that you sometimes get Dark Side points for apparently good actions) is that there is no way to be grey, or make practical decisions depending on the situation. You are railroaded towards making either Light or Dark decisions so that Kreia can berate you for being dumb. IMO it's already the best thing the old Star Wars EU ever saw, but if it had actually been finished and the morality system tweaked it could have been a work of art in its own right.

The lily white or phoned-in A-Team villain morality system of the KOTOR games completely missed the best parts of the Star Wars movies (Han Solo the scoundrel, Vader's redemption, Luke battling with temptation, etc). Temptation and grey morality are the most fundamentally important part of Star Wars. KOTOR might be a good game, but it's not a good Star Wars game.
grammar is for essays and letters and second FREEDOM TO POST except obscene material
THE ONLY THING THAT'S GONNA GRIND IN THIS GAME IS YOUR ASS ON THE PAVEMENT

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 10:56:41 pm »

Throwing townsfolk around in Dragon's Dogma comes to mind. Throwing guards/civilians off of cliffs outside of town was always especially rewarding. I suppose you can use the same method to take out actual enemies, too, but ehh.

I love it when a game has a really good start screen.
I would rant on about a game where I spent probably upwards of ten minutes just staring at the start screen between sessions, just listening to its music and pondering what had happened in the game (sometimes, I must admit, with tears in my eyes), but I'm pretty sure that game gets panned every time it's mentioned here.

Does the "they were born today, making them very young indeed" thing in Dwarf Fortress count? Because it should. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 11:32:33 pm »

That moment in KF when a grenade goes off at the feet of a pack of zeds, and ZED Time triggers. This blossom of gore just slowly expands, zeds with no legs pitching forward into the air in a radius around the detonation gracefully in slow motion. And then the loose giblets come flying past you and it's like you're that guy in a sci-fi movie walking through slow motion normal speed, sidestepping through a field of debris and watching things go past you. And then a crawler comes leaping at you, fully extended in the air, and you single shot cap them in the face or take them out with a melee attack, right as ZED Time ends. It's not a moment that happens often and sometimes ZED Time feels more like a burden than a benefit. But when everything comes to together, it's the kind of thing that should have opera playing in the background.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 12:57:10 am »

The lily white or phoned-in A-Team villain morality system of the KOTOR games completely missed the best parts of the Star Wars movies (Han Solo the scoundrel, Vader's redemption, Luke battling with temptation, etc). Temptation and grey morality are the most fundamentally important part of Star Wars. KOTOR might be a good game, but it's not a good Star Wars game.

Atton's path actually becomes a redemption story, if you play Light Side and get enough Influence. Most of the Jedi Masters you find are cowards, ineffectual or just plain crazy. This LP talks a lot about the more interesting dialogue, especially Kreia's double-speak and Atris' motivations.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Krevsin

• Bay Watcher
  • [RAINBOWS:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 01:31:54 am »

Shortly after finishing Wolfenstein: The New Order again, Nazis that speak in german and people whose accents sound genuine rather than stupid. stereotypical and corny (I'm looking at you, Wolfenstein 2009).

The game takes place in a world that is incredibly detailed and well-developed, with propaganda posters that seem genuine and not horribly shoe-horned in, actual evidence of popular culture (who would've thunk it that actual people also live in a nazi-dominated world?) and some teriffic bits of world-building dialogue. Also news-articles.

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2015, 08:28:29 am »

Totally quoting the OP.
In Resident Evil 4, I just noticed that Ashley does a little fist-pump whenever you take down a Ganados. That's freaking adorable.
She also calls you a pervert if you "accidentally" look at her from below.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2015, 10:38:56 am »

She also calls you a pervert if you "accidentally" look at her from below.
Even if you're dead when it happens.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2015, 10:57:55 am »

Atton's path actually becomes a redemption story, if you play Light Side and get enough Influence. Most of the Jedi Masters you find are cowards, ineffectual or just plain crazy. This LP talks a lot about the more interesting dialogue, especially Kreia's double-speak and Atris' motivations.

I can second that let's play. It's a very interesting read and gives quite a bit of insight on Kreia. It also mentions a lot of things that were excluded from the end game and how they'd have affected things.

I can also second the wish for more games with persistent vehicle debris. Well... actually just one game and that's "Dawn of War 1". Though only if it didn't slow the game down anymore than it already does when I play against huge Tyranid enemies.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 06, 2015, 11:06:00 am »

Those stupid tiny details in Deus Ex. Like the fact there is dialogue with Paul for if you start a fight with the terrorist leader on Liberty Island but don't actually kill/stun him.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Daggoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2015, 11:52:18 am »

I like it when npc's actually drop the equipment they are carrying. Mostly find this in roguelikes... Alot of rpg's just have vanishing items. Npc in full plate bashing you with +3 vorpal sword of nacho cheese procs dies and he has a cursed sling on his corpse when looted, ect.
“I think I've reduced the amount of blood in my caffeine system to an acceptable level.” - Khouri

The Elder Scrolls Online: Klavain - Altmer
Eve Online: Neville Klavain -  Gallente - Miners!

I don't RP female characters unless forced per game, so if you run into a Daggoth or Klavain it is probably me.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5