"Standard Party"
- 2 (22.2%)
"Don"
- 1 (11.1%)
"Hybrid"
- 6 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Gangs of Lorraine-RPG: GAME START!  (Read 12038 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Gangs of Lorraine-RPG: GAME START!
« on: April 03, 2015, 11:53:45 am »

The gunfire of the Great War finally settled one day. Millions of all races had lost their lives in the trenches, thousands of cities razed, and the hatred the nations felt for each other burned only hotter. But the treaties where signed in the Great Mountainhall of the Dwarves, with signatures of all leaders, from the Orc hoard to the Animal-Men tribes. There was peace, an unease peace that nobody was happy with, but peace none the less.

One of the sacrifices necessary to insure that peace was the "Sharing of the Lorraine."

Lorraine. The crown jewel of any country that has it. Each race has their own name for it, "Utopia", "Orgin", "Alscae", the list would go on forever. It was tradition, after all, to name a city once you had conquered it. The city of Lorraine has traded more hands then a popular trading card. Every race believes they have a valid claim to it, having at one point in recent history taken it for themselves for at least decades at a time. The architecture of this city shows it, having splotches of everything from human houses to Dwarf borrows to Orcish huts, all smashed together in a Frankenstein of a city. The name it currently has, and will keep according to the documents, was given to it by the Elves who took it over on the war before the Greatwar.

Yet after each destructive conquest, and even the repeated attempts to steal it in the Great war, it remains a jewel. Why is that, you may ask? For whatever reason, the land is blessed. Crops grow twice as fast-twice as large, with each bite of common corn or wheat tasting like a delicacy from the finest Elven tables. Cows that grow off the grass produce enough usable meat for three cows elsewhere, growing massive with seemingly no increase of food intake. The meat of these beasts is a delicacy many Orcs would lay down their lives for, while the milk produced is considered to be the food of the Gods in several human religions. The land itself seems to be filled with metals, from iron to gold, with no end in sight. Every time a miner thinks he can't get any more out of his hole, he finds a fresh vain of ore large enough to keep him busy for a lifetime. Some even say the ore actually replenishes itself when nobody is looking, an infinite amount of resources lying under the town. Whatever effort mortals endeavor in, its benefits are multiplied by several times. Horses, alchol, crafts, technology, weapons...the city is the best place on the planet to do anything.

While the war was winding down, all races realized it would never end so long as they where fighting in part for Lorraine. As mentioned before, this lead to the "Splitting of Lorraine", where the city would be shared amongst all races as an independent body not tied to any nation. As part of the treaty, massive floods of immigrants who had lost their home in the war began to poor into the town immediately. They began to conjugate together, each race having their own little slice of the place. It wasn't much, but it was the first truly cosmopolitan city on the face of the planet. For a while, things where good for the people living there. Poor peasants who lost everything finally got a taste of the good life, making good money while helping to restore their damaged homelands.

But as all good things in Lorraine, it never lasts. The Elves, experts in the art of Law, had written many benefits for themselves into the treaty that not even the greatest lawyers of the other races could see. That is, until they where pointed out. The most important, to you at least, was that the Elves retained the right to make the law of Lorraine absolutely. Thus the city was ruled by an "Elven Elite", with the power to make any law that came into mind. They had let the town settle before first deciding to use it...

First, they targeted the Dwarves. Elves and Dwarves both have long-standing racism and hatred for each other, anyone could have predicted them to be the first target. One morning, a simple law was passed. "Alcoholic beverages are now illegal. All current Alcohol will be confiscated and destroyed immediately." Breweries where raided by the Elven enforcers, with barrels being smashed open in the streets by the axes of the Law. All production was shut down, while the few who resist where promptly arrested with little effort.

For most races, this was a mild inconvenience. The water of Lorraine was as sweet as the wine of their homeland, and while they will miss the legendary ale of their new home, attempting to get some was not worth the risk of having their new fortune stolen away from them. For the Dwarves, however, it was the equivalent to biological warfare. The Dwarves have a unique way of processing alchol, their bodies have found a way to use it as one of the worlds greatest immune systems. With alchol, a Dwarf can practically walk through a plague without fear, unless it was particularly unlucky. Without it, even the mild and rare diseases of Lorraine where enough to cause many deaths on the streets. Droves of dwarves left, knowing that if they remained they would likely die, though the famous stubbornness won out over a significant portion of them.

The Elven leadership giggled with glee when they heard the news. They had both successfully driven off and even killed many of their hated enemies. In a flash of inspiration, they realized they can drive away the other races with the same techniques. Soon, posters around town showed the banning of every item central to any race. Importing and exporting was now illegal, preventing the masses from helping out their beloved homelands and family outside the city. Meat and slaughter was banned, a large blow to the carnivorous Orcs, who starve and wilt away under a meatless diet. Soon, the bans extended to even pointless things. Plays where not allowed. Food had to be boiled to tastelessness in restaurants and homes. Watering your fields with an access of water would get you arrested.

Of course the Elves themselves didn't have to follow any of this. The ruling class printed "Permits", which allowed anyone they where given to to bypass specific laws. Hundreds of thousands where printed for the elves of the city, who do whatever they wanted. It was only a formality anyway, no Elf was ever asked for a permit. They would drink in the streets, with a leg of meat on the other hand, mocking the Dwarves and Orcs they walked by. Sometimes they would even offer a bite or a sip, which would likely be taken, only for the poor soul to be arrested while the Elf laughs. Soon, the ruling class found out how to use the permits to control the populace even better. If you worked for the government, you would get a limited amount of permits. Many people of all races joined the police force, doing the bidding of the oppressive law just to bypass it a little. It was common for someone to "rat out" their friends and family for breaking the law, often getting a stack of permits while their loved one is carried away for the crime they are now able to bypass.

Finally, it hit breaking point. In any other place, it may have hit breaking point a long time ago. It is quite possible the land did something to quell their anger, but it could not hold. The laws where bad. The Elves broke the treaties. They where being targeted against. How was this any different from any other war? It is only right for it to be fought like one.

The first to "fight back" where the scores of veterans from the Great war. Forming together in "Gangs" typically based on race, they bypassed the law. They sold any and every illegal item secretly to their countrymen, or a well-paying other race. Many saw this as a necessary service. The motivations and tactics of these gangs varied as much as their makeup did. Some genuinely wanted to help their countrymen, bringing in necessities and religious artifacts while exporting what they can under cover of darkness, all while trying their best to avoid the guard. Others see the massive opportunity for profit in trafficking illegal goods, gunning down guards and rival gangs or even innocents in the name of profits, often while providing sketchy services such as assassination. They often dabble in things illegal elsewhere, such as slavery or dark magic. In any case, the gangs where here, and growing more powerful.

Suddenly, the city came to life again. Orcs where strong and proud as before, while Dwarves walked the streets without fear. The Elves, of course, knew that they had to have had alchol or meat, but could not prove it. The treaties may not provide much protection from the Elven leadership, but they eventually came in handy. The standards of law for the city where made very clear. They need evidence to persecute. They fought the gangs, which only grew in power....

You are a member of one of those gangs. This is your story.

Character Sheet:

Character:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Race: This is the template that will effect all creatures that are described as your race. The race you choose will reflect both your character's race and the race of your Gang, unless you state otherwise for whatever reason. You are allowed to make your own race, if you wish, or you can choose from the per-generated ones. First, Ill explain the traits of a race then show the pre-generated ones.

Gang: What statistics and skills your gang has. Some work like the character stats, representing abilities that your group can do as a single entity, while others work to represent things like the number of members currently in the gang. Some Stats have skills, which work exactly the same way the character skills do. Other so not, in which case you can't spend skills point on them. You get 100 points to spend on Stats and 100 points to spend on Skills.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 03:22:21 pm by Stirk »
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

3man75

• Bay Watcher
  • I will fire this rocket
    • View Profile
Re: Gangs of Lorraine-RPG
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2015, 12:16:58 pm »

PTW

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2015, 12:17:46 pm »

Hybrid for sure, and PTW
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2015, 12:31:00 pm »

Ah, another Stirk Catastrophe, eh :P?

I vote Character, and I've already got an idea for one.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 12:33:58 pm »

Pfff. You have to admit my ideas are pretty cool before I abandon them.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 12:36:06 pm »

0/10, concept stolen from Franco-Prussian War.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 12:40:07 pm »

....I knew I shouldn't have named the town something so obviose! CURSES!

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 12:43:39 pm »

....I knew I shouldn't have named the town something so obviose! CURSES!
-1/10, Alsace and Lorraine aren't the same thing :P.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 12:49:42 pm »

...-10/10 for not being able to take a joke :'(.

Besides, the French call it Alsace-Moselle now :P. Anyway, I threw in a bunch of random history things. Part WWI-Part WWII (mostly what happened to Berlin), and some other things I probably forgot.

Remuthra

• Bay Watcher
  • I live once more...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 12:52:03 pm »

Yeah, I know, it has a real Warhammer Fantasy vibe.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 02:03:23 pm »

Let's go with Don.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 02:23:13 pm »

So I got one vote for each so far :-\.

...I should have put a poll up. Ill get one up in a second, feel free to post as well.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
Re: Gangs of Lorraine-RPG*POLE*
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2015, 03:11:53 pm »

Ooooh, pretty
PTW. Vote for standard party, although Hybrid looks groovy.
thincake

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2015, 03:12:58 pm »

Hybrid seems like it'll pace itself much better than Standard Party, so let's go with that.

Also, cartoonishly evil elves.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 03:28:23 pm »

Hybrid seems like it'll pace itself much better than Standard Party, so let's go with that.

Also, cartoonishly evil elves.

#NotallElves! There are certainly some good elves. Some use their position to try to help, at least. Many erase their name on the permits they get every month but don't need and hand them to the less fortunate, for example, though it is a crime that is punished. The Elven gangs also tend to be the most generous and willing to work with other races, if nothing more then the pragmatic reason that unpopular criminals generally don't last long  :P.

But yeah. They are definitely horrible people  :P. The easiest way to make it possible for "Heroic" or "Good" characters to be criminals is to make the government a "villan, and SUBTLY IS ANYTHING UNDER 200 BULLETS!

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10