Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Torak's computer has been ressurected and given 100% He  (Read 8301 times)

Dopefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Torak's computer has been ressurected and given 100% He
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

Hmm.  I'd tend to agree with Beorn here that it could be the RAM fried a little.  I'd need a bit more data to work with before confirming that, though, since usually bad RAM brings with it BSODs.

If you can remember the rough time and date of the power outage, could you look in the Windows Event Viewer and post details of events logged around that time, as well as after the computer was booted up again?  (Event viewer is located in the Control Panel under Administrative Tools)

Another good diagnostic method is actually Dwarf Fortress.  I tend to use it for stress testing things at work, and it works remarkably well for that purpose.  Generate a few worlds with it, one after the other (Standard size, I should add) and let us know if it crashes the computer.

As for the sound issues, try reinstalling your sound drivers first, see if that does the trick.  If it doesn't, let us know.

A couple of other questions, too, before I forget.

* What version of Windows are you using?  I'm guessing XP, but is it Home or Pro?  
* Desktop or Laptop machine?
* What are its specs?
* Self-built or branded?
* Pepsi or Coke?

I think you may be able to recover the machine without buying new hardware, or reinstalling windows or any of that.  If you know how to, you could run CHKDSK/p from the Windows recovery console.  If you don't know how, and the tests I outlined above bring no further facts to light, I'll explain in a later post.

Best case scenario is that your PC just lost a little data in the power outage.  Worst case is that you have to buy some new RAM.  And punch your brother.  Lucky for you, if your machine uses DDR or DDR2 RAM (the DIMMs with only one notch), it's fairly cheap right now.  If you're unlucky and your machine uses non-DDR SDRAM (the DIMMs with two notches), that can be fairly expensive to replace.

Apologies for wall of text.  I just like to at least try to be helpful.

~Swim, Swim, Hungry.~~

Jurassiced

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2008, 05:06:00 pm »

ehh i dont think its the RAM though it could be if you RAM card is screwed witch i dont think it is i have about 300milion extra ram cards 236MB ones so if you need an new one i can help   ;)
POKHOMME http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=84 Race mod im working on.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2008, 05:44:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Dopefish:
<STRONG>
* What version of Windows are you using?  I'm guessing XP, but is it Home or Pro?  
* Desktop or Laptop machine?
* What are its specs?
* Self-built or branded?
* Pepsi or Coke?</STRONG>

Home
Desktop
Specs unavaliable right now
Branded
Dr Pepper.

Ill get my specs, the log and check out some solutionms after a re-boot. A folder froze and whenever that happens, I've got to exit out of it, which gets rid of explorer until I restart (It doesnt actually end explorer, but it does the same thing that does if you do, gets rid of desktop and toolbar, cant get it to work even after restarting explorer.)

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2008, 07:12:00 pm »

Here's a .rar of my event logger, system. This happened yesterday, about 5-9 PM.

Also, I dont know of an easy way to get my computer's specs. Is there a file that shows them somewhere?

[ April 01, 2008: Message edited by: Torak ]

As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2008, 07:16:00 pm »

Weird. If the memory or anything in your comp is damaged now, that means that the voltage was above the normal value for a period. I hardly doubt it, since youve mentioned that it was a temporal blackout only. Ergo if it was, your system is surely not damaged physically. Reinstall the system, that should solve the problems. If it wont, well in that case -> hardware error -> voltage above normal in the house -> kick the ass of your brother.  :)
However if that is what happened, other stuff in the house became damaged also probably, like a TV, DVD player etc. [Its just a possibility]

Dopefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2008, 07:41:00 pm »

Good news so far.  I'm more inclined to think now that it's just a data corruption issue rather than a hardware fault.  Going to try to confirm that before taking any further steps, though.

As for showing the specs, simply right clicking on My Computer and going to Properties should give you the processor make and model, as well as the amount of RAM you have.  Alternatively, if you give me the product or model number of your machine (if it's an HP-Compaq as your log file suggests, it'll be on the sticker with the serial number) and I can look it up myself.  The latter method is preferred, as it tends to give deeper detail than My Computer>>Properties.

~Swim, Swim, Hungry.~~

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2008, 07:59:00 pm »

Time to beat the crap out of your brother.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2008, 08:01:00 pm »

Not a single person has suggested scandisk?

And I seriously don't believe any of the expert advice in here.  (including 'sounds like ram' because ram problems don't work that way, and 'breaker box means it couldn't possibly have raised your voltage!'.  sure it coulda.)

I do think it's corrupted hard drive though.  Possibly but not necessarily a few new bad sectors.  And I'm very fond of the advice that says "slave your hard drive somewhere else, evacuate the juicy kibbles, and slag the rest".

But do that AFTER running scandisk.

Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

This happened to me a year or so ago.  I had to get a new motherboard(At least I think that's what I did, I don't remember.  Everyone including the people who fixed the computer were convinced I got viruses on it, they're retarded, it was so obviously not a virus.)
Shoes...

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2008, 08:20:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>Good news so far.  I'm more inclined to think now that it's just a data corruption issue rather than a hardware fault.  Going to try to confirm that before taking any further steps, though.

As for showing the specs, simply right clicking on My Computer and going to Properties should give you the processor make and model, as well as the amount of RAM you have.  Alternatively, if you give me the product or model number of your machine (if it's an HP-Compaq as your log file suggests, it'll be on the sticker with the serial number) and I can look it up myself.  The latter method is preferred, as it tends to give deeper detail than My Computer>>Properties.</STRONG>

Model: ER919AA#ABA

Make: dont know, but it said on the sticker "Desc Compaq Presario SR1820NX PC"

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2008, 08:21:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Sowelu:
<STRONG>Not a single person has suggested scandisk?</STRONG>

How does one do this?

Dopefish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2008, 08:27:00 pm »

In "My Computer", right click on your hard drive (Should be listed as C: or something similar) and go to "properties".  In the window that opens, go to the "Tools" tab and click on the button associated with scandisk, which should be the first of three available options.

If that fixes it, I'll feel pretty dumb for not suggesting it sooner. :P  Regardless, I'm thinking either scandisk or its bigger, meaner brother CHKDSK should, -should- sort your computer woes.

If not, well... It'll be time to think of other solutions.  Right now, I'm going to bed.

[ April 01, 2008: Message edited by: Dopefish ]

~Swim, Swim, Hungry.~~

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 01, 2008, 11:31:00 pm »

quote:
<STRONG>In "My Computer", right click on your hard drive (Should be listed as C: or something similar) and go to "properties".  In the window that opens, go to the "Tools" tab and click on the button associated with scandisk, which should be the first of three available options.

If that fixes it, I'll feel pretty dumb for not suggesting it sooner. :P  Regardless, I'm thinking either scandisk or its bigger, meaner brother CHKDSK should, -should- sort your computer woes.

If not, well... It'll be time to think of other solutions.  Right now, I'm going to bed.

[ April 01, 2008: Message edited by: Dopefish ]</STRONG>

I've got defragmentation, and error checking, is it error checking?

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 01, 2008, 11:50:00 pm »

Don't think so, it's checkdisk.  At least that's what I'm thinking of.

You can open up the start menu and use the "Run" command in there.  Just bring it up, and type CHKDSK into the field.

Sounds like you got yourself one hell of a fun one, though.  Considering the conditions leading up to the problem, you may have one major-league problem on your hands.  Keep an ear out for your hard drive making weird skittering or scratching noises.  If you hear that, shut down immediately and take it to a pro.

But it might not be your disk.  In fact, it's probably most likely that it's not.  The power outage could've screwed something up in one of the power-sensitive areas of the computer (memory included), and is feverishly holding onto junk information which wacks out the rest of the setup.

Go for CHKDSK, I'll have a chat with me ol' pappy to see if he has any ideas on the subject.  He's the one who would know what he's doing, I'm just shooting in the dark.

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2008, 01:40:00 am »

I ran Check disk, with no noticeable changes on my situation. The only major issue that I'm worried about is windows audio not turning back on, since my computer runs programs as fast as it did, with the exception of folders freezing every once in a while and explorer crashing.

Pages: 1 [2] 3