Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: I'm thinking about becoming a navy engineer  (Read 7024 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Should I join the military
« Reply #30 on: April 03, 2015, 03:45:56 pm »

I don't know if nuclear is a separate path from the start, but I've known 6 people who went into the military; 3 to the air force, 1 to the marines, and 2 to the army, and not one of them got the job that everyone said they would before they signed up. They will tell you literally anything to get you to enlist, but after that the decision is handed down to you from on high just like everything else. That said, none of them are displeased with their position.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 03, 2015, 03:50:04 pm »

Depending on what you do.
With navy you test into your job and get to choose if there are open possitions, if it's like an engineering job you go to A school where they teach you how to do your job.
If I go nuclear I'll try to get on a carrier but they'll put me where they need me IIRC.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 03, 2015, 04:28:38 pm »

Cryxis is correct, upon entry you get to choose from available MOS according to your ASVAB score, last I checked you could delay your entry for up to six months to wait for openings in training for your chosen MOS.  As to where you go when you finish training, that is entirely up to the DoD, unless you are lucky enough to score first assignment of choice (I was going to Germany, until I got broken).
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 03, 2015, 05:05:25 pm »

This is pretty much exactly what my brother was going to do until he was rejected due to his atrocious eyesight (which was so bad he couldn't even get LASIK to fix it :P). Going in as a nuclear engineer takes a lot of work, but if you pull through then you get a pretty nice job, good training, and it's very applicable in the civilian world when you get out.

I would like to make an important note about submarines though, which is that you have to volunteer to get put on one. Because of the harsher conditions they won't put you on one unless you volunteer to do so (and pass their extra tests), but the result is that you are generally more likely to get the position that you are looking for (and a fair chance of higher pay) in exchange for things like less communication, not really visiting foreign ports, and the many other drawbacks of working on a tiny submarine instead of a large ship.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 03, 2015, 05:39:57 pm »

I wouldn't call them tiny, compared to the ships sure but they are still massive. I've seen them up close.

((Then again I've also been on a cruiser and that was awesome as well))

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2015, 05:49:01 pm »

Tiny internally, submarines are claustrophobic, with extremely narrow walkways, tiny rooms, no personal space whatsoever, and functionally zero amenities.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2015, 06:01:34 pm »

And that's why I would prefer a carrier, the pride of the US Navy.
At least I could get out at ports

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2015, 06:07:27 pm »

You might also add possible health problems to the list of cons. A friend of my dad's works for the Tennessee Valley Authority as a civilian nuclear engineer and has for decades, and he's developed some health issues, he thinks, from his exposure to radioactive material. (He's one of the guys that actually has to check on the structures and stuff.)

That said, he gets paid redonk.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2015, 07:11:30 pm »

Talked to a navy nuclear engineer and he said they do routine tests and if anything pops up they'll make sure you're healthy, guy even told us ((was a presentation)) how much he has been exposed to over ten years and it's barely been more than background radiation exposure.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2015, 07:24:13 pm »

Talked to a navy nuclear engineer and he said they do routine tests and if anything pops up they'll make sure you're healthy, guy even told us ((was a presentation)) how much he has been exposed to over ten years and it's barely been more than background radiation exposure.

I mean, that's swell and all, just remember some of these guys are trying to recruit you. It would not be the first time the military has told someone a bald-faced lie to get them to enlist. I suppose you can trust the word of a enlisted engineer over a recruiter. But just remember that it's not something you might notice until years later. Every single career in the world comes with occupational hazards due to doing something/being somewhere repeatedly. And your prospective career is about nuclear energy (setting aside pretty much all the other occupational hazards of the military.)
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2015, 07:50:48 pm »

Well I don't see why the military would risk a several million dollar investment that's hard to come by with bad safety procedures.
And if I feel they aren't being thorough enough I'll just pay for a good one from a civilian doctor or something.

guessingo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2015, 09:21:40 pm »

devil is in the detail... which countries military? Egyption is a good one. They are responsible for keeping a dicatator in power, so they have to treat you well or the military may kill him. I would not recommend the Syrian, Iraqi, Afghani, or Nigerian reasons. I'd avoid the Saudi one as well due to the likely hood if them invading Yemen. Joining the Canadian or European military strikes me as an easy way to make some cash since they just wear pretty uniforms and don't do anything.

American military is iffy... get a job where you don't get shot at.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 03, 2015, 09:29:09 pm »

I've only said US Navy like 50 times.
And we've already talked about how nuclear engineers are much less likely to be shot on than a lot of other positions.

So how would I start the conversation with my family if I wanted to join?
"Hey I'm going into the navy...... Oh mom why are you crying?"

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #43 on: April 03, 2015, 09:34:52 pm »

I think a more accurate thread title would be "I'm going to join the military".
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 03, 2015, 09:40:55 pm »

I'd broach the subject more gently. "I'm thinking about joining the Navy as an engineer."
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6