Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: I'm thinking about becoming a navy engineer  (Read 7014 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: I'm thinking about becoming a navy engineer
« Reply #60 on: April 10, 2015, 06:16:36 pm »

That you don't think you have anything to hide doesn't mean that you don't have anything to fear.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 10, 2015, 06:26:43 pm »

So you're telling me to fear a Goverent that's going to give me a job and military clearance under the aception that I don't tell people the secret stuff, secret stuff being whatever I learn under military clearance.
Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 11, 2015, 07:34:09 pm »

I hear they switched the suicide supositories for suicide pills. So there's that, you're in luck.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 11, 2015, 08:08:43 pm »

So I've got an achademicaly challenging schedual for next year and I'm going to try to get in shape, if I can pull next year off and get in shape I think I'll join.

College I was looking at has a summer school nuclear program and a reactor on campus so I think I'll be going there for the first couple years.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #64 on: April 11, 2015, 09:20:05 pm »

Cryxis, if you go through with this, I salute you.

I am personally going into the Australian Air Force as soon as I can get my BMI under control (I'm currently too skinny). I am going as a fighter pilot. Good luck!
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 12, 2015, 12:12:53 am »

Thanks
Good luck to you as well

I wanted to be a pilot for a couple years but then I realized I have shitty eye sight  :P

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #66 on: April 12, 2015, 12:33:50 am »

So you're telling me to fear a Goverent that's going to give me a job and military clearance under the aception that I don't tell people the secret stuff, secret stuff being whatever I learn under military clearance.
This is America we're talking about here.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 11, 2015, 05:37:00 pm »

So my main road block to joining is gone, my girlfriend broke up with me for good personal reasons and we have decided to just be friends since she doesn't need a relationship right now, she needs a friend.

I've decided that next year I'm taking some of the hardest courses my school offers and if I can pass those while maintaining a healthy body I'll join NROTC in college.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2015, 04:20:49 pm »

Its probably a good choice, I was seriously looking at it myself.

Aside from the armchair generals that seem to think a speedboat full of explosives (or whatever) can sink anything better compartmentalized than a shitty commercial liner, nobody else seems to have objections either.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2015, 04:22:42 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2015, 09:19:13 pm »

So I spent a few hours researching today

Ground warfare officers (what I was looking at doing) get some pretty rough interviews especialy if I'm going through NUPOC.

I'm changing my plans to graduating (17) going through four years of college in nuclear engineering (21, chemistry/physics/calculus) enlist in the navy for four years as a nuclear reactor operator (25) then go back in and apply for surface warfare officer and be well within the required age to become a ground warfare officer and have extensive training in my field.

Going to have to talk to a recruiter about this to make sure I can do that though

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2015, 09:36:19 pm »

Cynically, keep in mind that his job is to convince you to enlist now.  But I'm sure he'll also give you useful information if you ask right.
This is a big change obviously, but if you can handle it (which I believe you can) you'll have a much higher status when you enter the service.  But, you know that ;)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2015, 09:49:20 pm »

It acctualy won't be too much change in home life. My dad was in the navy for thirty years and my sister is enlisted for four.
The big change will be physical and mental challenges but I can handle those.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 18, 2015, 02:25:22 pm »

I've actually just finished my third year of a nuclear engineering degree, so if you have any questions feel free to PM me or whatever. I find there's a lot of shit to do, and there is some pretty intense math at some points, but if exponential decay clicks with you it won't be too bad, as most of your math is all different equations that result in exponential decay. Reactor kinetics, though, that's some serious shit. On the whole if you live near a plant, and your grades are good, I'd say go for it, but if you're not in that situation I would seriously consider doing Mechanical instead, with maybe a couple nuclear courses for spice. Also, I have some PDFs of my textbooks if you want to take a look through them to help make a decision. One final thing, everything I've heard about nuclear engineering in the military is that it's suffering, whereas civilian is so wrapped up in red tape it's usually not too bad.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

Jo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 02, 2015, 06:29:20 pm »

Bah! If you don't have anything else really going on then going into one of the Navy's engineering branches is great.

One day you'll be old and fat and thinking back and wondering why you didn't go for it.

Also boot camp is fun if you realize from day one they are just fucking with you to make you tough. I dunno though, I grew up farming. Bootcamp was lame compared to that.

As for leaving for several months and missing your family. That's not even a consideration. You have to leave you family anyway unless you want to be one of those guys living with your parents at 25.

Go for it bro, unless you have a scholarship to a decent university you should go for it. Navy guys don't really die or get shot at, they spend their time in huge iron leviathans. There are only a couple of navies in the world that even have a chance of sinking one of our ships, and if we are at war with them (Russians, Chinese, maybe England) then we'll all be in the military through the draft anyway.

Hope I've helped.

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 02, 2015, 08:31:40 pm »

Thanks

I'm definitly joining at this point just can't decide if I'm doing NROTC in college or joining the enlisted reserves in college
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6