Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Final Stage  (Read 8423 times)

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
Re: Final Stage
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2015, 10:50:01 am »

You decide to salvage a laser and the reactor to power it. The radiation sensors on the ship go insane as you prepare the ship for attaching the additional modules and rearranging the ones already attached. Even your outbound sensors are affected and the ship automatically tries to turn the bridge away from the massive source of radiation, but only succeeds in turning in circles as it tries to dodge itself. Everything normalizes to some level when the modules are attached and you reprogram the computer to ignore radiation warnings.

SHIP MODIFICATION

Initial ship:

Converted to:

2x Weak Laser converted to Weapon Modification Points [+4]

Current Resources:
Weapon Modification Points [4]

No mods currently available. Inspect a larger range of modules to unlock additional mods.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)
Radiation level: Extremely high

You are glowing like a lightbulb for anyone with a set of sensors. It shouldn't extend the range at which you can be detected, but anyone who does so will find it very obvious that anyone aboard should be dead. You will gradually be purging the ship of it, but you can also spend some time to do it more quickly. It will leave you vulnerable for the time it takes, but you might need to do that if you want to do any infiltration.

Since the platforms are gone, you can freely access the Jump Network Beacon now. Jump Network Beacons are just a set of astronomical sensors attached to an exceptionally powerful supercomputer. They are responsible for keeping and updating a databank of jump routes between any two places in its designated area of space. Jumping is a complicated matter, and the movement of astronomical bodies is constantly shifting the routes. Even you are not capable of jumping around without their help. You will need to jump to another Beacon to explore a different sector.

As far as you can tell, this particular one was constructed by something calling itself the Gaunti Conglomerate. Your newly salvaged reactor seems to have also been manufactured by it. They seem to be a regional power of some sort.

You pull an updated set of jump routes from the Beacon, and inspect it.

Sector map:

Spoiler: Legend (click to show/hide)

Seems to be a relatively poor sector. Three inhabited planets, a few asteroid belts and even a battle, interestingly enough. You might be able to find some salvage there later, or you could even try intervening personally if you are so inclined. Going to the planets would be suicidal right now, as even in the best case scenario, they would read your radiation level as meaning that you are carrying heavy nuclear weaponry. You could head to any of the asteroid belts to ambush a few freighters or mining ships.

You could also set up an ambush here. Someone is bound to come inspect the distress calls of the two platforms, and you have plenty of firepower with your two lasers and reactors.

What do you do next?

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2015, 12:09:57 pm »

I want to hop to an empty sector, vent radiation, then hop to the battle, which should be winding down.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2015, 02:38:52 pm »

What's the source of the radiation?  We should see about getting rid of it.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Generally me

• Bay Watcher
  • I look like this IRL
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2015, 02:56:18 pm »

Vent radiation and ambush then get ready to quickly jump away in case of overwhelming odds.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2015, 03:12:29 pm »

I want to hop to an empty sector, vent radiation, then hop to the battle, which should be winding down.
+1
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2015, 03:43:06 pm »

+1
=1
Yup
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 07, 2015, 03:55:22 pm »

What's the source of the radiation?  We should see about getting rid of it.
I believe it was attaching the reactor.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2015, 01:19:06 pm »

It's been there since the first post.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2015, 01:24:27 pm »

It's been there since the first post.
Most likely us. We are able to control a manned ship and mess with it's configuration unnaturally. I'm pretty sure we're an energy being parasite or something.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2015, 03:22:23 pm »

Could be an AI.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 10, 2015, 01:30:34 pm »

Code: [Select]
Logfile Arrival log #00002

1. Destination "D1" reached.
2. Spinning down FTL.
3. Successful Jump Logged.
4. No contacts detected.
5. Logfile end.

You jump to a random empty sector and proceed to vent a large quantity of radioactive and non-essential matter. The inside would still be quite dangerous for anything organic, but sensors on other ships shouldn't notice much.

The source of the radiation appears to be you. You don't consciously notice it happening, but as far as the sensors tell you, whenever you manipulate the ship or exert yourself, you start producing large amounts of radiation. The one thing you do notice is a small degree of what could be considered hunger, but what you would consume remains a mystery. You guess you will know it when you see it.

With the venting complete, you proceed to jump to observe the battle.

Code: [Select]
Logfile Arrival log #00003

1. Destination "C4" reached.
2. Spinning down FTL.
3. Successful Jump Logged.
4. 6 contacts detected.
5. Logfile end.

Side #1: Contact #1, #2, #3

Side #2: Contact #4, #5, #6

You arrive just in time to see the exciting part of the battle. There appear to be two sides, with 3 ships each. One side appears to have a larger vessel, with what appears to be a very large laser.

BATTLE BEGIN
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Side #2 has initiative.

Round 1:

Spoiler: Side #2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Side #1 (click to show/hide)

Round 2:

Spoiler: Side #2 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Side #1 (click to show/hide)

Contact #4 Disabled
Contact #6 Disabled

Round 3:

Contact #5 tries to escape.
SUCCESS

Side #1 WINS

Apparently the other side was woefully outmatched. Or just terribly unlucky. The unevenness of the fight will leave you with less salvage, but you suppose two disabled ships is good enough. Before you can even start thinking about what parts you can salvage, you recieve a broadcasted message.

"This is the cruiser Aphelion of the Gaunti Conglomerate hailing the amalgam ship to the south of our position. These destroyed ships are now the property of the Gaunti Conglomerate and piracy will not be tolerated. Identify yourself immediately or you will be fired upon."

Seems they think you are some kind of scavenger flying around in a ship made from other ships and simply showed up to look for scrap. They're not mistaken.

How do you respond?

Notes:
Doing battles like this is kinda hardcore with all the rolling involved. I'm so damn happy I know how to program and can automate some of it.
Side #2 was supposed to lose, but not quite this hard. Well, the RNG does what it does.
This update didn't take this long because of the battle, but because I was watching way too much Battlestar Galactica. A member of your crew might be a cylon. (Spoiler: It's one of your weak lasers)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 01:38:19 pm by cerapa »

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 10, 2015, 02:56:04 pm »

Based on what I see so far, it looks like we can kill #1, since the enemy already damaged the armour covering the bridge, but I don't know if we can handle the 2 support ships. Also our reactors are in very vulnerable areas.

Although I do see that we can probably kill #3 by shooting it in the central reactor since the enemy has already eroded the engine that was protecting it.

Question is, how will we handle #3?
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Fallatus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 10, 2015, 03:20:24 pm »

Respond to the best of our ability, We don't need to attract unneeded ire. Besides, if we (eventually) get friendly enough they might help us with our problems we can't solve ourselves in the future.
But for now, Just try to gather as much information as possible. We need to know what the gaunti conglomerate is and who they are, Any information regarding their capabilities and enemies is welcome too.
>Butter up and respond, No need to make enemies yet.
>If they ask about our parts, Then give them the "truth", Technical truths are the best after all. Fabricate as little as possible.
>If they become hostile then we employ tactics. (Not that we can't discuss their hypothetical application beforehand.)
>If all else fails, Run away.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 03:22:20 pm by Fallatus »

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 10, 2015, 03:27:26 pm »

>If they ask about our parts, Then give them the "truth", Technical truths are the best after all. Fabricate as little as possible.

Would that truth include revealing that you blew up a jump network beacons defenses?

I'm afraid I'm terrible at dialog. So any action plans should include at least the first message you will send.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 10, 2015, 03:53:01 pm »

"Apologies sir. I am a lost traveler from another sector and I was not aware of the laws in this sector of space. Where I come from, any scrap that was found was safe to take. If it is indeed the case where scrap legally belongs to your Conglomerate, then I will take my leave and bother you no further"
« Last Edit: April 10, 2015, 04:00:51 pm by heydude6 »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8