Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Powered workshops!  (Read 1863 times)

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Powered workshops!
« on: April 02, 2015, 02:11:07 pm »

For those who do not know the old Masterwork had a gnome race that could build various powered factories. Since then a "building-hacks" plugin has been added to DFHack which allows any modder to easily add more such things.

With 40.x there will be two main choices for those who want a factory fort, Masterwork gnomes (coming soon) and the Rubble "User/DFHack/Powered" addons. Masterwork gnome mode powered workshops are based on the Rubble ones, but will have various tweaks, so they are not exactly the same, that said both are similar.

Currently there are many kinds of powered workshops, including:

Block Cutter
Conveyor Belts
Bone Cutter
Minecart Launcher
Minecart Loader
Clothier
Item Decorator
Glass Furnace
Item Sensor
Jeweler
Kiln
Logic Gates
Loom
Metal Press (forge)
Mill
Sawmill
Screw Press
Smelter
Spinner
Still
Wood Furnace
(and several others)

These workshops can be chained together into large production lines, with the next workshop in the chain automatically taking products from the one before and giving to the next one.

This thread is for two things: Sharing your factories and suggesting things to add. I am always looking for suggestions!
Rubble 8 - The most powerful modding suite in existence!
After all, coke is for furnaces, not for snorting.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
Re: Powered workshops!
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 02:12:16 pm »

A few things I made (sorry, no pictures):

In one testing fort I decided to build the fort between the magma sea and the third level caverns,
but I also wanted easy access to the surface. The biggest problem was moving trade goods up and wood
and plants down. This was solved by pairing a drop shaft with a impulse elevator.

Minecarts and items were fed into the drop shaft at the top and separated at the bottom by sorters.
Minecarts going to the bottom of the impulse elevator and items going to a small stockpile that was
right beside the main stockpile level. The minecarts were placed on a track that lead to an automated
loader that filled them with trade goods and other items that needed to go to the surface (like seeds).

Since I had sorters at the bottom I did not have to worry about filling carts at the top, the empties
just went directly to the drop shaft.

Dwarves would fill stockpiles at the top of stuff to go down, this stuff was fed into the drop shaft
via quantum stockpile like minecart setups, at the bottom the "going up" stockpile and the "just
arrived" stockpiles were right beside the main quantum stockpiles, making final storage easy.

This was built before I made conveyor belts, so I used sorters for moving items around (away from
the drop shaft bottom and the like), with belts this would be even easier to build.

In another fort I solved the problem of cage trapped invaders by making a 100+ z-level drop shaft.
Anyone who has ever made such a drop shaft knows that they have one major problem: you need to seal
the bottom to keep your dwarves out so that no one gets crushed by a falling goblin. This means that
you need to run the system in cycles, drop a few creatures then open the bottom for cleaning, repeat.
This gets tedious in a hurry.

I covered the bottom of the shaft in conveyor belts, so exploded creature parts would get swept off
to a minecart loader for transport to my main refuse stockpile. Simple, efficient, and fast.
You're not true dwarven royalty unless you own the complete 'Signature Collection' baby-bone bedroom set from NOKEAS

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 02:25:06 pm »

Autoloader for ballista.

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 03:00:01 pm »

Now that is a good idea!

I wonder if it is even possible... Only one way to find out!

Edit: and if it is not possible it IS possible to fire items as projectiles from a custom workshop...
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 03:07:36 pm by milo christiansen »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2015, 05:30:23 am »

Diamond

• Bay Watcher
  • Did someone just say "elves" ?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2015, 06:24:57 am »

and if it is not possible it IS possible to fire items as projectiles from a custom workshop...
So, is it technically possible to make a machinegun? How exactly are items fired? Can a custom workshop be made to use catapult targeting somehow?

milo christiansen

• Bay Watcher
  • Something generic here
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 11:41:08 am »

Making an item into a projectile is fairly simple, after all that is what happens every time an item falls.

The only thing you really need to do is add velocity in the direction you want it to go.

With my powered workshop APIs (which are built on top of the excellent building-hacks DFHack plugin) it is trivial to get input items, so the only thing left to do is actually make the projectiles and get them moving in the correct direction. So yes, it is possible to make a "real" machine gun (firing crossbow bolts perhaps), just not a dwarf portable one. Ballista bolts may be a bigger problem (because they are more than one tile in size, not sure if they would fly sideways or not), but it should be possible.

I have some example code that should help with a basic bolt firer, so hopefully in the next Rubble version :)

MetalRocks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 06:17:02 pm »

This could be a silly suggestion because I have no idea how this works, but maybe something like a library or school could be possible? Just to give some real use to the student skill or to the little parasites children.
I mean, a workshop where a dwarf does not produce anything, but he is increasing some skills at a rating dependant on his student skill. Like when a carpenter produces a bed he increases carpentry, but in the library the dwarf increases some skills without producing anything.
Or maybe dwarves with the teacher skill could produce books in the library for the idle dwarves to read or just for the children to increase their skills. I guess this is too complicated but I had to try it.

EDIT: Forget it. It seems there will be books and libraries in the next release:
"Books will be found in libraries in the next release."
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Book
"Libraries are a site that will be in the next release. Libraries store knowledge, host scholars and copy books.
There is a possibility of having a fort library in fortress mode."
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Library
« Last Edit: April 04, 2015, 09:13:21 am by MetalRocks »
"Face each battle, each foe, as though it is your last.

One day it will be"