Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Animals leaving inside pen/pasture (esp cats!)  (Read 4892 times)

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Animals leaving inside pen/pasture (esp cats!)
« on: April 02, 2015, 08:52:58 am »

My jobs screen is full of "pen/pasture animal (stray cat)", because as soon as the cat gets hauled to the zone, it just leaves straight away again.

This is not a case of assigning the same animal to multiple zones (or a zone+chain), where dorfs will haul them from one to the other.

This is just cats being cats, and refusing to stay where they're put. Realistic, but this never used to happen before. In previous versions my cats would stay in their zones, conveniently placed over the food stockpiles. They would therefore protect the food from vermin, and not murder the cave spiders for my silk industry.

Now, all bets are off, and I have uncontrollable cats everywhere - and dorfs running all over the shop trying to catch them. All it needs is some Benny Hill music, and the scene is complete :p

How can I stop this madness?!?!

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Animals leaving inside pen/pasture (esp cats!)
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 11:16:55 am »

dry door, or double door not pet passable. or chain them?

Thormgrim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:31:34 am »

i seem to remember seeing this when an animal gets assigned to more than one pasture.
Dorfs will shuttle the animal back and forth between the two pastures, over and over and over

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 11:40:55 am »

i seem to remember seeing this when an animal gets assigned to more than one pasture.
Dorfs will shuttle the animal back and forth between the two pastures, over and over and over

Can I ask, nicely, if you got as far as the second paragraph in post #1?

:p :p :p

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 11:44:49 am »

dry door, or double door not pet passable. or chain them?

Tightly closed doors kill FPS, apparently. Since I read that I've not used them.

Chains aren't really an option because I want them to patrol the (large) food stockpiles and kill vermin.

Basically, the dorfs have to get in to get their food, and the cats have to keep the vermin off the food.

In previous versions, cats (and other animals, like poultry in poultry farms) would stay in their zones until assigned to somewhere else.

Now the little buggers almost completely disregard the pastures. I tried making a huge pasture underground and just keeping a couple cats in it, but they also did the same thing. They don't want to stay where they're put anymore.

I'm not sure if this is a bug or new intended behaviour.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 12:09:23 pm »

Have you watched where the cats go after they escape? Are they hunting vermin outside their pastures maybe? This obviously shouldnt be possible since it would idealy be disallowed outside the boundaries, but maybe something in the code got borked with the version update. What version were you using vs what version you're using now?

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2015, 04:28:18 am »

Have you watched where the cats go after they escape? Are they hunting vermin outside their pastures maybe? This obviously shouldnt be possible since it would idealy be disallowed outside the boundaries, but maybe something in the code got borked with the version update. What version were you using vs what version you're using now?

Yeah, I did follow some. Many went to the refuse stockpile, many z-levels below their pasture. Others followed dorfs to their workshops.

Some just went hunting any old place. All had been assigned to the same pasture over the food stockpile.

I was not able to tell if it was the same cats escaping each time.

Lastest LNP version.

Montieth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2015, 09:31:04 am »

My cats and pasture assigned dogs do this a lot now. They used to stay in various assigned areas but they develop a preference and ignore them after a while.
*“Under the Mountain dark and tall The King has come unto his hall! His foe is dead, the Worm of Dread, And ever so his foes shall fall.
*The sword is sharp, the spear is long, The arrow swift, the Gate is strong; The heart is bold that looks on gold; The dwarves no more shall suffer wrong.
*The dwarves of yore made mighty spells, While hammers fells like ringing bells In places deep, where dark things sleep, In hollow halls beneath the fells.
-from The Hobbit (Dwarves Battle Song)”

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 03:18:46 pm »

Well, I don't know about cats, but my dogs have faithfully respected their pasture.

I started with a small room, and 10 male, 10 female dogs. Its essentially a puppy reactor. I'm not focused on butchering them now, I'm waiting for critical mass. I expanded the room, but didn't expand the pasture because I was lazy, and they stayed confined.

They were behind a locked door, but they didn't move into the rest of the room. They may need a reason to ignore pastures, and since they couldn't get through the door had no reason.