Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Drawing Programs for android  (Read 2073 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Drawing Programs for android
« on: April 01, 2015, 10:15:47 pm »

Can anyone suggest a good drawing program for android? Preferably a free one?
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 10:18:12 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Drawing Programs for android
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 10:24:16 pm »

For developers or users? 2d or 3d? If you're a developer doing 3d, I think it's pretty much a choice between 3d max and maya, but neither are "for" android in the sense that you'd run them on an android operating system. Rather, they're programs you'd run on your probably windows desktop and then import files into your development environment. If you're doing 2d, use basically anything you want. Gimp, windows paintbrush, photoshop, whatever.

If you want an ap you'd install on an android device to use for drawing, I'd suggest going to the app store and doing a search for "draw" and try out the top rated choices that are free downloads. But unless you're running android on your desktop, I'm a bit skeptical of the usefulness. Drawing on a phone/tablet touch screen seems sketchy.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Unrelated, anybody else find it annoying that since the android SDK moved to gradle, none of the pre-packaged code samples work anymore?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 02:03:27 am »

I think there's a free version of SketchBook, or something with a similar name.

But unless you're running android on your desktop, I'm a bit skeptical of the usefulness. Drawing on a phone/tablet touch screen seems sketchy

Sketchy, ha. Also, it does work; one of my friends is a semi-prfessional graphic designer, and he uses an Apple tablet with a sylus.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 07:06:01 am »

I think there's a free version of SketchBook, or something with a similar name.

Yeah, there's a number of versions of Sketchbook both free and paid on the Play Store that all seem like very polished products. Of course, it's all for naught unless you have a stylus that's really good for drawing, but I don't know any examples of those. All the styluses that I've seen have had big, rounded rubbery tips that were absolutely awful to draw with.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2015, 02:32:52 pm »

For developers or users? 2d or 3d? If you're a developer doing 3d, I think it's pretty much a choice between 3d max and maya, but neither are "for" android in the sense that you'd run them on an android operating system. Rather, they're programs you'd run on your probably windows desktop and then import files into your development environment. If you're doing 2d, use basically anything you want. Gimp, windows paintbrush, photoshop, whatever.

If you want an ap you'd install on an android device to use for drawing, I'd suggest going to the app store and doing a search for "draw" and try out the top rated choices that are free downloads. But unless you're running android on your desktop, I'm a bit skeptical of the usefulness. Drawing on a phone/tablet touch screen seems sketchy.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish?

Unrelated, anybody else find it annoying that since the android SDK moved to gradle, none of the pre-packaged code samples work anymore?

I'm looking for something similar to MS Paint. But for Android
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 02:36:26 pm »

Of course, it's all for naught unless you have a stylus that's really good for drawing, but I don't know any examples of those. All the styluses that I've seen have had big, rounded rubbery tips that were absolutely awful to draw with.

Oh god, those things are terrible! I can't imagine what the people who designed them were thinking, or what could possibly posess a person to buy one.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 02:51:18 pm »

I really suggest Sketchbook, then.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 10:25:27 pm »

(stylus being terrible)

I think you are having flashbacks to resistive touchscreen tech, which REQUIRED the stylus, and was a horrible touch screen technology.

These days, pretty much everything is capacitative touchscreen technology, and does not require the stylus, and works MUCH better.
However, using a stylus is still useful for precision tracking on the screen, which is what you need with a drawing program. Any aftermarket stylus will work, as will an eversharp pencil without any lead in it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2015, 12:36:35 am »

No. Resistive styluses are great; the end is actually as small as a pencil point. The styluses that they sell for capacitive touchscreens are wide ass pieces of shit with no precision and high coefficients of friction.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2015, 05:09:31 am »

There's a specific brand that isn't terrible, but I'm not sure what brand. Part of the problem is also going to be that most tablets have rather insensitive touchscreens that don't register anything smaller than a fingertip, because they usually don't need to.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2015, 01:14:04 pm »

as will an eversharp pencil without any lead in it.

Nope. Virtually any smart device today has a capacitive screen, meaning that it will only register a touch from a finger or a specially-designed stylus. A pencil without lead will not only not work, it'll probably scratch your screen up something fierce if you apply any amount of force.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2015, 04:10:16 pm »

and that's just one of the reasons that I don't like capacitive touchscreens
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 02:16:48 pm »

(stylus being terrible)

I think you are having flashbacks to resistive touchscreen tech, which REQUIRED the stylus, and was a horrible touch screen technology.

Resistive touchscreens never required a stylus. You're thinking of the fact that you CAN'T use a stylus on a capacitative touchscreen (or at least not one that's small enough to be worth bothering with). I can't imagine why anyone would use their fingers on a touchscreen if they could use something with actual precision instead (unless the screen is really large like on an ipad)
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2015, 02:18:06 pm »

SketchBook doesn't work.

It doesn't save the drawings correctly; significant portions keep being randomly cropped off.

Are there any other decent drawing/paint programs out there?

(preferably something that free [no price, no trials, no crippleware, no in-app purchases], and it DEFINITELY needs to be able to reliably save the entire drawing to my phone, in a standard image format, and preferably with a "save as" feature so I can type in an actual file name)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 02:23:18 pm by Bohandas »
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις