FUN
- 11 (14.7%)
Other (post your reasons)
- 4 (5.3%)
all of the above
- 29 (38.7%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Why do you love Dwarf Fortress  (Read 10547 times)

callisto8413

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you love Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #60 on: April 30, 2015, 09:30:31 pm »

Just created a world with the latest DF.  Was using the Legend Viewer.  Looking over the legends and history I found out that one of the Dwarf Civilization has a Goblin King and the other HAD one at one point.  I found that weird but after looking closer at the legends (and the map) it seems that the two Dwarf Civilizations are in the middle of a couple of Goblin and Elf Civilizations.  The wars between them, for a history that was about a century and a half long, seems to be never ending.  The Dwarfs have Goblin citizens (or are they Goblin Civilizations with a majority of Dwarfs?) - who eagerly fight against the Elfish armies during the wars.  Much of the combat history is as much about Goblins fighting Elves as much as Dwarfs.

The Human Civilizations seem to be on the other side of the map.  I didn't even bother to look at their history - boring hairless apes.

I can't wait to start a Fortress and see who ends up in it.  Will I have Goblins showing up, acting like Dwarfs?  Will I have Dwarfs with Goblin names?   I don't even know how this game works anymore! 

THIS is why I LOVE THIS GAME!

Before I created this game I created a earlier one but rejected it.  Only 8 Dwarfs were alive in that world.   :'(
The most EVIL creature in Dwarf Fortress!

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2015, 11:30:54 am »

We need a thread to list all weaponized things and the weapons they are used it.

Tis would be beautifull.   

But yha, I don't normaly have much FUN but I love seeing the stuff everyone does
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 02, 2015, 04:53:10 am »

Magma!
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 02, 2015, 11:14:59 am »

Magma!

What am I looking at?  I recognize almost nothing but water and trees in that wacky tileset.
You never know when you might need a berserk dwarf to set loose somewhere.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 02, 2015, 11:16:53 am »

I'm pretty sure it's Phoebus. There's a shitton of lava in a number of channels. Somehow, trees have managed to grow over the lava. The moment something falls into the lava, the entire map is going to become one huge firey wasteland.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2015, 11:18:25 am by Dwarf4Explosives »
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

kahrkunne

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 02, 2015, 02:52:26 pm »

All of these things, but most of all: the community.
I pray to the gods every single night that I may never encounter any of you in a dark alleyway.

ajar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 03, 2015, 03:11:50 am »

I'm pretty sure it's Phoebus. There's a shitton of lava in a number of channels. Somehow, trees have managed to grow over the lava. The moment something falls into the lava, the entire map is going to become one huge firey wasteland.

Yeah I was wondering about the same thing. the trees and logs were there the moment I started obsidian casting... Temperatures are on because I lost two dwarves poking the volcano tube.

edit: oh and btw, I noticed the dwarves using the trees engulfed in the magma as a bridge.

1st: The moments of success.
2nd: Magma!
3rd: Becoming rich and insanely rich.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2015, 03:26:46 am by ajar »
And so I tell you, keep on asking, and you will receive what you ask for. Keep on seeking, and you will find. Keep on knocking, and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks, receives. Everyone who seeks, finds. And to everyone who knocks, the door will be opened. Jesus-

StubbornAlcoholic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 03, 2015, 04:55:46 am »

The sheer ingenuity of the game is the main draw for me. If you want to do *anything* there's pretty much always a way to achieve it.

Also, strangely enough the community is one of my favourite things. There's a real sense of humour in the playerbase, and a gleeful sense of mischief regarding large Dwarf projects, especially those with bizarre "Dwarfy" goals (burning elephants, creating enormous gladiator pits, training hardened Dwarf baby soldiers, breeding an army of Giant Lions, weaponising inanimate objects...)

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2015, 07:44:45 pm »

The sheer ingenuity of the game is the main draw for me. If you want to do *anything* there's pretty much always a way to achieve it.

Also, strangely enough the community is one of my favourite things. There's a real sense of humour in the playerbase, and a gleeful sense of mischief regarding large Dwarf projects, especially those with bizarre "Dwarfy" goals (burning elephants, creating enormous gladiator pits, training hardened Dwarf baby soldiers, breeding an army of Giant Lions, weaponising inanimate objects...)

Training enormous always-burning baby elephant gladiators, who wield inanimate lions.

This is literally possible.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

SupremeSandwich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 05, 2015, 04:27:42 am »

Dunamisdeos i've gotta say i've been on this forum in the background for eons and what you just wrote is by far and a way the most sig worthy thing in the history of the universe
I take my hat off to you
Training enormous always-burning baby elephant gladiators, who wield inanimate lions.

This is literally possible.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 05, 2015, 12:56:31 pm »

Dunamisdeos i've gotta say i've been on this forum in the background for eons and what you just wrote is by far and a way the most sig worthy thing in the history of the universe
I take my hat off to you

I have ascended to Mount Siglympus, to take my place at the summit.

No, Siglympus is not a disease, its a mountain. Gawd.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2015, 02:23:17 pm by Dunamisdeos »
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 05, 2015, 01:54:55 pm »

Yeah I was wondering about the same thing. the trees and logs were there the moment I started obsidian casting... Temperatures are on because I lost two dwarves poking the volcano tube.[/quote ]Ahah...

It's because the lava isn't in the same tile.  The trees will merely be 'warm'.

WalkerRiley

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: May 05, 2015, 02:10:09 pm »

I really love the micromanaging.  There is no other game that will allow you to control everything in such minute detail.

I love the lore that generates.  Every world is truly different.  Different history, heroes, conquerors, and each with their own legends.

I love all the quirky things that can occur.  That one time my first merchant caravan came from the mountainhomes and the liason happened to be a goblin was hilarious.

I love how each dwarf has their own history, likes, dislikes.  And if you really work at it, you can make every dwarf in your fortress feel like a king.

And I love the community that has sprung up around it.  Very rarely do I see anyone here being impolite to one another and everyone wants to help out and tell awesome stories of how their latest fort met its demise.

LockeTalks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 05, 2015, 07:20:37 pm »

Corona688

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2015, 02:41:05 pm »

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6