FUN
- 11 (14.7%)
Other (post your reasons)
- 4 (5.3%)
all of the above
- 29 (38.7%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Why do you love Dwarf Fortress  (Read 10557 times)

hyperman500

• Bay Watcher
  • I endorse all exploits!!!
    • View Profile
Why do you love Dwarf Fortress
« on: April 01, 2015, 07:56:57 pm »

I love it for the stories that come out of it.

If the system isn't overly complicated and utterly convoluted it clearly isn't Dwarfy enough to make.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you love Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 08:51:12 pm »

I love Stealth Weremammoths.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:53:09 pm »

I like Dwarf Fortress for modding and normal fun.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 08:59:20 pm »

Can I choose all the options?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

TechnoXan

• Bay Watcher
  • Crundles + Kobolds = AWESOME!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 09:05:40 pm »

The stories and the FUN all the way!!  :P
By the by, if your wondering why I use so many smiley faces, its because I smile a lot when I talk. So I use them here so I don't come off the wrong way.

And so it begins...
OPEN THE GATES!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 05:16:06 am »

The stories and the depth deep enough to bury yourself in.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 06:28:13 am »

No other game is as complete.

poohlives

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 06:49:39 am »

wereasses and bat men

Romegypt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 07:31:58 am »

or as complex.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 08:46:31 am »

The challenge, the FUN, and the epic, impossible stories.

ancistrus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 12:06:59 pm »

Freedom.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 12:54:27 pm »

Every bit of !SCIENCE! done.  Big or small.  Dwarven Childcare to Shaft of Enlightenment to user-defined Challenges, the fact that it MAY BE done and IS done is incredible.

Every unintentional result.  Every baby who picked up his mother's spleen and annihilated the goblin squad who killed her with it.  Every elephant, carp, giant mosquito, Husked Giant Sponge.  The night creature who killed the shop keeper, then tried to become the shop keeper in his place.  Dwarfs climbing trees and refusing to come down.  Beheading a bronze colossus with a fluffy wambler.

Every epic yarn.  Furnaceclans.  Roomcarnage.  Flarechannel.  Bronzemurder.  Cacame Awemedinade.  Catten and the Eagle.  The list goes on and on. 

Every feat of engineering.  Strawberries in the Circus Tent.  Clowns verse a murderous murder of undead raven.  The cast-obsidian fort suspended from the sky.  The giant pillar of magma and orbital bombardment system above it.  Farming mermaid bones.  Draining the ocean to hunt whales.

Best of all, almost all of the above is because of the DF community. 

If no one tried any !SCIENCE! or attempt great feats of engineering, made lengthy stories & Let's Play videos or set out to play based on their own set of rules and challenges, this game would not hold half the allure it does for me.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 09:55:18 pm »

I want to choose all of them, but since I'm limited to only one, I picked the prioritized reason: The Stories, along with !!FUN!! and !!SCIENCE!!

What can I say? Dwarf Fortress is so rich story-wise that everywhere you go, there's something new.

And that's because it's randomized!

What other game provides a randomized world and story? That adds unlimited replay-ability and knowing that there are more features that's being implemented (festivals and music are next), it makes it even more expansive!

Is it possible to rant about how great a game is in words? I want to type a long novel on my love for the game but I can't because I'm lazy and not creativeactually absent minded right now.
My post ends here.

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 09:57:00 pm »

Edit: Accidentally quoted myself. This edit cleans it.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 12:50:03 am by Lexyvil »
My post ends here.

Niddhoger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2015, 07:59:50 am »

I mainly love DF for the depth of choice and complexity.  In most games, you build X workshop over the X slot.... then you build the trap in the trap slot/choose from the list of predetermined traps.  While DF still does have traps you build (stone, weapon, cage), we have the freedom to design our own.  I'm talking about drowning chambers, pit-fall traps, garbage drops, minecraft loops, MAGMA!, etc.  We can even go crazy with elaborate designs that include winding bridges over deep (zombie filled) chasms while under fire by marksdorfs protected by the empty 20z-level drop and fortifactions from the sides and facing a ballistae  battery from the front.  If anything survives this, there is a war bear/cave croc/jabberer "pasture" waiting for them before they fight your drunken steel-clad axelords... but only a few enemies at a time because you use "airlock" bridges to break up your enemies. 

More than this, you can weaponize damn near anything.  Not only are there vampire wells to make an entire fortress of super-soliders, but using GCS to make webbed traps to stop all but a handful of beasties.  Or you could take that fire ball flinging titan and corral him into a fortification lined room overlooking your fort.  When enemies appear, you lower the bridge that was blocking line of sight and let him have at it! You could put other FB's at the bottom of pits and feed him hippies! You can tame dragons! You can use a captured necromancer to make and endless wave of fodder to wear down sieges.  You can force a syndrome-spewing FB to coat your masterwork weapons in heart stopping poison to use against your foes.  You can build doors holding in magma to trick trolls into incinerating themselves... ah the possibilities are endless!

There is also the economy side of things.  There are so many different overlapping industries.  We can thus adjust our forts to suit the environment we are in.  We can survive in lush jungles, scorching deserts, barren wastelands, or frozen glaciers.  No metals? No problem! Use trap designs like I listed above until you can trade for metals/goblin christmass arrives.  Don't care to farm? Gather herbs/pick trees and fish in the rivers.  Press them olives into oil to make soap and then cook the pumice with honey and seeds to make full meals.  Or just spam plump helmets and tell your dorfs to stop bitching when they want "diversity."  Melt sand into glass and use them to make crafts that you decorate with rock gems :p Do nothing but fish and trade for booze-plants.  Hunt and make bone crossbows/leather armor.  Turtle up and dig down to the CANDY to truly mince gobbies.  Keep your dorfs happy with mist generators in your pimped out dining room. 

There is simply too much depth to the game and freedom for creation.  Not only can we just adapt on the fly what industries, defense strategies, and food production to use but we can pick our own challenges to see an entirely different game (settle in area without metal, no using "traps," embark with only a pick, never use metal, no farms, etc).  You can play the game however you want and still scrape by.  There are no set paths or hand holding either, we make the game what we want it to be- THAT is why I love DF. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6