FUN
- 11 (14.7%)
Other (post your reasons)
- 4 (5.3%)
all of the above
- 29 (38.7%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6

Author Topic: Why do you love Dwarf Fortress  (Read 10550 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Why do you love Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2015, 09:04:46 am »

wereasses and bat men
Not exact but pretty close:

Terff

• Bay Watcher
  • Indeed...
    • View Profile
    • What is the answer to this question?
« Reply #31 on: April 09, 2015, 03:57:09 pm »

Just everything you can do in dwarf fortress in general, the amount of content packed in this game is incredible.
I need some way to put armor on babies so I can start training them early.
Quote from: Lectorog on August 06, 2013, 03:57:45 pm

A goblin siege!?  Good we haven't had one in awhile, we are running out of new clothes

bahihs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 09, 2015, 07:31:20 pm »

Is this a trick question? Like when a parole officer asks you what you like about crack/cocaine?

Kishmond

• Bay Watcher
  • What the pfargtl?
    • View Profile
    • My DF Stories blog.
« Reply #33 on: April 09, 2015, 07:56:22 pm »

The nigh infinite replay value.
The stories, and the fact that even I can make interesting ones.
The black humor.

Neo_Spade

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:ginger neck-beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2015, 04:48:20 am »

To crush the Elven Diplomat. See their caravan driven into magma. To hear their lamentations as you cut down their trees.

Uristnan McBarbarian, broker cancels Trade at Depot: gone beserk
If you've got dwarf problems, I feel bad for you, son.
I've got 99 whales because I killed Urist with one.

Showbiz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2015, 03:19:11 pm »

The stories and the depth deep enough to bury yourself in.
^

Pardon for my mistakes
english isn't my native language

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2015, 02:08:04 pm »

The other day I was checking on a sacked fort near my home fort as an adventurer and when I got down there it was basically yakety sax with occasional murders, as multiple dorfs and gobs were all running around from room to room fighting, totally ignoring me. After it calmed down I remembered seeing "The king retches" a couple times so I went and found him.

His name was Liceva Covarena, an elf name, it translates as Legendary Punchtruths, and he was a goblin.

Curious I checked up on him and found that he had settled in a nearby hillock named Townsink shortly before I encountered him in the chaos at Tomesplan, noting that Liceva was a member of The Crystal of Distinction, a dorf civ that had founded both sites.

I checked up on Townsink and learned that multiple necromancers had lived there, so I then checked up on the civ itself.

The first king of The Crystal of Distinction was a dorf necromancer, I walked in on the aftermath from The Balanced Immorality, a nearby goblin civ (well they're all nearby when there are 5 on a 17x17 map) which had recently sacked Tomesplan. There was apparently an uprising at just that moment and during this the crown passed to Liceva.

The first king, Bembul Copperbreach became a necromancer in 29, and apparently his wife had died in 3, killed by Tharith Zenithwar the Battles of Copper, the bronze colossus.

Townsink had been sacked back in 58 by another colossus, and then they attempted to reclaim it in 92 shortly before Liceva arrived.

I'll copy my more up-to-date save and see if I can figure out why he has an elf name after I eat, but basically that is why I love this game.

Besides all the other stuff you can do and play with, there is so much fascinating backstory tucked away inside it.

Drewigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2015, 08:50:34 pm »

The replayability, the fact the game has no end, every character and fortress has an impact, the fact that it's literally 2 different games combined and fitting well in each other makes me enjoy the game whenever I return to it. But my favorite part is the learning curve. No casual player can get far in the game unless they have a massive strategy. Got your limb chopped off? Rethink your strategy. What I'm saying is that this is a game you can't rush through. You have to be thorough with how you play and think, making it an enjoyable experience throughout your playthrough.
Strike the earth!

hyperman500

• Bay Watcher
  • I endorse all exploits!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 16, 2015, 07:55:40 pm »

I changed the poll so now you can say all of the above as an answer

If the system isn't overly complicated and utterly convoluted it clearly isn't Dwarfy enough to make.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2015, 03:40:16 pm »

Too late to change my vote? :P

hyperman500

• Bay Watcher
  • I endorse all exploits!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 18, 2015, 05:54:38 pm »

Too late to change my vote? :P

Reset the poll so you can.

If the system isn't overly complicated and utterly convoluted it clearly isn't Dwarfy enough to make.

Magnnus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 19, 2015, 01:09:35 pm »

The game is so full of possibilities, gruesome, gruesome possibilities.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2015, 01:58:12 pm »

Its simulation aspects for sure, and just how quirky it can be.

While I really do hate all the meddling little bugs, they do give the game an aura of uniqueness and unpredictability.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2015, 02:16:50 pm »

[PREFSTRING:unspeakable horrors]

FrankMcFuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished Cat Cooker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2015, 07:26:01 pm »

I do love it for the combat, and the stories of course. But I have to say there's something wonderful about taking a screenshot of your starting embark, and fast forwarding 5 years to see just what has changed about your chosen. The structures, the landmarks... the uh.... irreversible damage to the ecosystem, and the corpse-laden battlefields. Like no other game, Dwarf Fortress let's you build an actual, functioning, Fortress. I just love building cute little courtyards, fishing piers, taverns and storerooms.... As well as automated death traps. Obviously.

But the BEST part about all these things is that they actually get used! Not like in similar construction games like Minecraft where you're building it just to look pretty, these little guys use every corridor and structure I put down or dig out for them. And that's intensely rewarding.
Urist cancels rest injury: Too injured
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6