Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10

Author Topic: Tree Appreciation Thread  (Read 27119 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Tree Appreciation Thread
« Reply #75 on: June 07, 2015, 11:48:21 am »

I googled pine pollen and the results are a bunch of super shady "eating this stuff is the secret to a long, healthy life" kind of sites. It's also called "nature's testosterone" sometimes which doesn't make any sense. Testosterone is nature's testosterone.
Pine tea, can it exist?

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: June 07, 2015, 12:35:51 pm »

Pine tea, can it exist?
Dunno about pine tea, but I've seen tea with juniper berries, which is also coniferish and full of vitamin C. Apart from the tea, young pine (and fir) needle is very tasty.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: June 07, 2015, 12:39:30 pm »

Pine needle tea is absolutely a thing. Also absurdly filled with vitamin C, apparently.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: June 07, 2015, 01:25:43 pm »

Birch beer is great.  It's nonalcoholic, basically root beer except from bark.  It has a strong taste but it really grew on me, even unsweetened.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bumblebee

• Bay Watcher
  • Zizz, Bizz, Bizzz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: June 07, 2015, 02:22:42 pm »

In Russia there's a thing called "birch sap". It is probably a bad way to translate it, but I don't have a better idea. It's liquid gum gathered in spring by cutting birch bark. Sounds exactly like your birch beer, but it doesn't ferment. Does the birch beer ferment? Is it the same as "birch sap"? And what is "root beer"?

Pearofclubs

• Bay Watcher
  • Servant of -it-
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 07, 2015, 09:28:28 pm »

In Russia there's a thing called "birch sap". It is probably a bad way to translate it, but I don't have a better idea. It's liquid gum gathered in spring by cutting birch bark. Sounds exactly like your birch beer, but it doesn't ferment. Does the birch beer ferment? Is it the same as "birch sap"? And what is "root beer"?
Root beer is a soda flavored with the roots of the sarsaparilla tree(or, at least that's what it was originally, nowadays I'm pretty sure most root beers use artificial flavors). It's got a pretty distinctive taste from other sodas.
Birch beer is the same idea, but you use the bark of the birch tree to get the flavor. It's definitely better than regular ol' root beer to me.

Neither of these are typically fermented. I'm sure someone makes hard root beer, but most of it is just a soft drink.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 07, 2015, 09:34:50 pm »

Most root beers use more than sarsaparilla root, usually including wintergreen leaf, cinnamon, molasses, vanilla, and coriander. Some use various other things. But essentially it's a sarsaparilla base with a mix of spices for flavor. Good root beer is positively delicious, but you're only going to find it as a local/regional thing; all of the major stuff is just corn syrup and artificial flavors.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 07, 2015, 09:52:09 pm »

In Russia there's a thing called "birch sap". It is probably a bad way to translate it, but I don't have a better idea. It's liquid gum gathered in spring by cutting birch bark. Sounds exactly like your birch beer, but it doesn't ferment. Does the birch beer ferment?

No, it's not real beer. It foams like beer though.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Cryxis, Prince of Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • Achievment *Fail freshman year uni*
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 07, 2015, 11:03:50 pm »

Fueled by caffeine, nicotine, and a surprisingly low will to live.
Cryxis makes the best typos.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 08, 2015, 06:23:06 am »

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/Y61Kq
Hey, there's a picture from Bonn! From Heerstraße even, there's some great bars there.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 08, 2015, 08:20:44 am »

They serve cherry liquor?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 08, 2015, 01:09:39 pm »

I think there are some bars there that have KiBa, which is equal parts cherry and banana juice. It's non-alcoholic though, so I'm not certain :P
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 08, 2015, 02:08:11 pm »

Dragonblood trees confirmed for fungiwood.

Baobab trees look totally fake. They're actually disguised radio antennae. Every last one.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2015, 02:11:17 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 08, 2015, 02:31:53 pm »

Hey, there's a picture from Bonn! From Heerstraße even, there's some great bars there.
The Bonn one and the first North Irish one are magnificent.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 08, 2015, 02:39:16 pm »

A large part of it is the photographer's skill: Heerstraße is nice, but doesn't look as good as that picture IRL.
The Bay12 postcard club
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 10