Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Author Topic: Tree Appreciation Thread  (Read 27090 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Tree Appreciation Thread
« on: April 01, 2015, 07:29:34 am »

This is a thread for sharing your favorite trees. My personal favorite is Cassia leptophylla, a.k.a the Gold Medallion Tree:

They can be found lining the sidewalks of many streets in Southern California. Note the vibrant yellow flowers and small leaves. It has long seed pods that kind of look like a thin cucumber.

So what are your favorites?
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Tree Appreciation Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 07:39:40 am »

I'm partial to the Indian Banyan tree (Ficus benghalensis) myself. Some of the largest trees in the world by canopy coverage are Indian Banyans. Largest is the truly ridiculous Thimmamma Marrimanu. They can get so big because of their robust system of aerial roots, shown below.

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:08:42 am »

Sirquiamus likes saguaros for their amazing arms.
...and their slender ribs, and fancy boots.

Also, derailing thread into a debate on whether cacti can be considered trees.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 08:15:13 am »

I'm pretty sure they're dicotyledonous, which makes them woody plants, which makes them close enough.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 08:33:31 am »

I'm pretty sure they're dicotyledonous, which makes them woody plants, which makes them close enough.
I don't know about that. Dicots are not necessarily woody plants, and certain monocots (like palms) are obviously woody and tree-like.

...Anyway, I'm sure that elves would deny saguaros their tree-status, since they are not very huggable.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2015, 02:02:04 am »

I guess nobody called me out on my elven subversiveness. So much for April Fools. I guess I should have used more tree-hugger language.

I'll leave the thread open in case anybody wants to continue to appreciate the trees.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

NukeACitrus

• Bay Watcher
  • I stream DF. People watch it. I'm happy.
    • View Profile
    • I'm streaming DF every now and then
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2015, 02:34:18 am »

" Likes oaks for their cliche fantasy look and their pretty leaves scattered all over ground during fall. "

"I managed to escape but my limbs are chopped off. Now what?" - DF wiki.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 04:50:51 am »

I'm partial to poplars: They line many fields in my native Rhineland and are responsible for a lot of the landscape's character. As far as I know Napoleon had them planted back when the area still was under French administration.
Spoiler: A typical scene (click to show/hide)
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

That Wolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Yes, that Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 05:29:15 am »

The kauri tree is epic, the leaves are small and can be pointed.
But the totara is my favourite, its a mean climbing tree, great shelter and as a bonus its a really good wood to work with, im making a mask with it at the moment, the elves would shun me :)
BUT **** THE ELVES   >:(
I am not afraid of an army of Warriors led by a Child; I am afraid of an army of Children led by a Warrior.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 06:15:29 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Chestnut trees, I look back fondly on climbing their trunks to fight squirrels for prized conkers. They're currently under severe threat in the UK due to some terrible blight wreaking damage on their populations, with any luck the ones in my area will survive.

Oak trees are obligatory, strong trees with massive cultural significance and they're iconic as fuck. Say tree, most will think of oak tree.

If I kept posting which fruit trees I appreciate I'd end up posting them all, so I'm going to keep it specific to one. Jack trees are an amusement to me, owing largely to my childhood experiences of that tree being the one where if you stole all the cloth coverings that tree would be the one that would summon a bat swarm in the night.

Willows have always been special to me too. I've been rather ignorant of the negative connotations it has in England, what with it being associated with death, decay and 2spooky marshes. It's also associated with healing, so there's a plus it has. But to me it's meant none of these things, it's always been that tree leaning over the mirror's edge of Albion's waters, where under its shelter the rain could not soak me nor the sun burn me nor the world find me. And they're gorgeous trees! So few trees hang their leaves like locks of hair.

Sycamore trees are up there too, for Loud Whispers admires them for their twirling seeds. Apparently they're originally from middle and southern Europe, and gradually found their way up to the British isles in the middle ages. They've made quite the journey!

Here's a special one, London Plane tree. as the name'd suggest, it's an urban tree especially resistant to pollution that's been planted in London for about 300 years. Dank tree for city life, helps to break up the grey concrete-glass postmodernist scum they wish to smother the capital in.

Aspen trees occupy a fair field of forests in England I've been in, and so occupy a place in my brain. They also get confused with birches more often than not, and I wonder how many times an Aspen I've seen was a Birch or a Birch an Aspen.

English Elm tree. Looks like something they would've planted on Atlantis, if Atlantis were real.

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2015, 12:51:56 pm »

I'm a fan of Oaks. We have two big fucks at my cottage.

Maple trees are cool, too.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 01:14:57 pm »

It's all about the banyan trees. Best tree IMO hands down. :))
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 01:40:53 pm »

Spoiler: Mangroves, represent (click to show/hide)

Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 04:32:02 pm »

I don't have a favorite species, but I like trees so I'll pop in to say "yay trees!"

I guess nobody called me out on my elven subversiveness. So much for April Fools. I guess I should have used more tree-hugger language.

Nahh, trees are awesome. I've hugged trees. They don't usually hug back, but neither do teddy bears.

Yay trees!

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10