Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Classics of Knowledge  (Read 3053 times)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
Classics of Knowledge
« on: April 01, 2015, 03:18:25 am »

As usual, the DF dev logs are entertaining and interesting!  I'm really looking forward to libraries, the master-student framework, shared knowledge, poetry, etc. :)

We're told that In Pursuit of the Negation is "about proof by contradiction"... does the game elaborate on that? What about the other titles?

• Injuries for Everyone
  • The Secret of the Path of the Moon
  • Do We Understand the Year?
  • Dissection: Before and After
  • Life with the Lever
  • Foraging Behavior for Students
  • Unusual Adhesives

Did anyone else see that list and want to know more about the books and the knowledge contained in them?

I'm curious what level of detail the game has for them, even if it's a simple phrase or one-line description of the contents / subject matter.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Classics of Knowledge
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 04:54:08 am »

Yes. Just because df tends to be highy detailed, along with random names. Unusual adhesives will either be the randomly genetated name of the Lannister household, or it will feature stories of the virtues of FB secretions.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2015, 08:21:51 am »

I REALLY hope "Injuries for Everyone" is a medical text.
One wheel short of a wagon

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2015, 03:38:43 pm »

I REALLY hope "Injuries for Everyone" is a medical text.

It could be a Hammerdwarf's handbook... or a biography (if that exists in the game).

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2015, 05:02:01 pm »

"Life with the Lever", on the other hand, is probably a biography of a bored dwarf :)

Magnumcannon

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep waters don't run still
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 05:23:17 pm »

"Life with the Lever", on the other hand, is probably a biography of a bored dwarf :)
Or from a Gremlin

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2015, 06:14:28 pm »

Hehe... yeah, that would probably be a boring biography. It might be an in-depth manual about mechanics ;)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2015, 10:57:32 am »

When I read it, I assumed they were:

• Injuries for Everyone - Manual of first aid
  • The Secret of the Path of the Moon - Book on lunar cycles
  • Do We Understand the Year? - Possibly a treatise on the movement of the world relative to the sun, framed in the context of seasons
  • Dissection: Before and After - Book aimed at naturalists, concerning techniques for and discoveries stemming from dissection.
  • Life with the Lever: Technical manual on mechanics
  • Foraging Behavior for Students - A book containing foundational or otherwise basic information on either the foraging strategies of various animals, or proper identification and collection of wild plants.
  • Unusual Adhesives - I dunno about this one.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

FortressBuilder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 11:32:53 am »

• Unusual Adhesives - I dunno about this one.

"Adhesive" means "sticky substance". Maybe it is about the creation of actual glue out of unusual materials (like horns of specific creatures, minerals etc). Or it could be about philosophy: The bonds that "glue" entities/family members/etc in unusual situations/places together.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 11:51:26 am »

Baffler: You couldn't be more wrong.
The obvious answers are:

Injuries for Everyone - Biography of player-created adventurer
    The Secret of the Path of the Moon - Book on successfully integrating the werebeast community
    Do We Understand the Year? - Looking back at that time a giant monster made of waste attacked and we stopped it by leaving soap in our doors
    Dissection: Before and After - Book aimed at survivors of victorious elf seiges and their relatives
    Life with the Lever: Book about being trapped under seiges for really long times, and what cannibalistic measures are acceptable to prevent people trying to leave.
    Foraging Behavior for Students - A book containing foundational or otherwise basic information on what to do when a useless student goes to a poor but working fort and is made to find food for themselves.
    Unusual Adhesives - Very few adhesives are usual. Probably a guide to dwarven cooking.
One wheel short of a wagon

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2015, 12:36:33 am »

I had something in mind more along the lines of:

Injuries for Everyone - Goblin Philosophy
The Secret of the Path of the Moon - The Biology of Estrus
Do We Understand the Year? - A lengthy overview of various calender systems and why all of them are horribly wrong except the Dwarven one.
Dissection: Before and After - An object lesson about why dragging forbidden beast corpses and letting loose their various juices is a Bad Idea.
Life with the Lever - A history on the development of everyone's favorite simple machine. Forty illustrations.
Foraging Behavior for Students - How to make ends neat on the meager wages of a student.
Unusual Adhesives - The sequel to Dissection: Before and After
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2015, 03:58:59 am »

Unusual Adhesives - The sequel to Dissection: Before and After

I love this one :)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2015, 07:54:33 am »

Tbh then it should just be called Dissection: Before and During

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Sallen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2015, 06:37:25 pm »

The fact that the titles are suggestive AND ambiguous make them much more interesting.

DeusTempestas

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2015, 06:53:59 pm »

They are all obviously, a collection of dwarven erotica
Pages: [1] 2