Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Arms Dealer Giveaway!  (Read 1844 times)

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Arms Dealer Giveaway!
« on: March 31, 2015, 08:40:52 pm »

UPDATE: That's 12 given away. The giveaway is over and I need to go for now. If you leave me a nice note about why you need a free copy, I might surprise you later/tomorrow. Thanks again for all of the love and support over the years guys. This was my favorite place to come to on the internet for years and years.

Hello old friends! I've been away working hard on my studio's game for months but I didn't forget about you!

http://store.steampowered.com/app/325630/

I'm giving away 10 copies of the game to the first 10 people to direct message me. The only rule is that you must have been a member of the forum for at least a month. You should also know that the keys are for Steam, so if you have one of those weird anti-steam relationships, you won't want to apply. If you were one of the people who helped test the game and didn't already get a copy, mention that in your message and you won't count against the 10 copies. When you start the game, make sure you click the Tutorial button on the menu. Until tomorrow's update this is the only way to start the tutorial and you NEED the tutorial.

If you enjoy the game, or want to support a fellow B12 member who decided to make games for a living, please leave a nice review on Steam. It will help me out A LOT. If you don't like it, please tell me and give me a chance to fix it first. We had a rough launch day with a crash that ruined everyone's fun for the first 90 minutes and then a second one that affected around 10 % of people that took us another 6 hours to track. Unfortunately some people left us a bad review for it, despite saying they loved the game, and then never returned to update the review. Apparently it really affects a game if the reviews say mixed(65% positive) as opposed to MOSTLY POSITIVE (70% positive). We deserved our beating but we have made 6 patches since then and have tons of people loving the game and loading us up with content they wish to see added. We would love to have more of you involved in that process. It's the only way I can make a game that people will still be playing 10 years from now. Also, some of you will want to play around with our powerful editor and join our MOD scene. Official Workshop support is coming.

The purpose of this giveaway is to give back to a group I loved for years and miss while I am working 18+ hours a day, 6 days a week since April 2014.  The secondary purpose is to get a more representative review presence on Steam so I can sell enough copies to expand on the game significantly.

Finally, we had an old conversation with people who wanted to have their name as the leaders of countries. If someone can take on the project and go through that thread to compile a list, or better yet an excel, I can get those put in the game the next day.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 09:27:53 pm by hemmingjay »
Only a simple mind can be certain.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Arms Dealer Giveaway!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 08:50:07 pm »

Excellent, congrats on the release! Definitely an awesome looking game.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 08:58:12 pm »

Thanks Rilder! Happy to see a familiar face first! I have 2 requests already and I will fulfill them. If you don't get a key right away, don't worry. I will get to it sometime through the night as I only get to sleep in 2-3 hour shifts while still working so hard on the game. Once again, make sure you click on the tutorial in the menu. I promise it's pretty much one of the more entertaining tutorials for a game like this and has an arc and narrative. This is a complex and deep game, more like Crusader Kings II than say Transport Tycoon. You can do a lot of things and don't just buy and sell goods. It's a lot to learn and since it's a new genre, we couldn't rely on traditional systems and controls for many things. I think it's a perfect challenge for DF fans.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 08:59:40 pm »

Hmm, waiting to see if a fantasy mod gets made.  That'll be funny.

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 09:01:47 pm »

Looks so cool ! I would like to trade weapons and bribe generals all that jazz ...!
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 09:37:02 pm »

Congrats on the release! I'll have to buy it sometime; it looks fun.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

hemmingjay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:11:43 pm »

Steam released a new game. It's so true that it hurts!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2015, 01:56:20 am »

Heya Hemmingjay; just dropping by to give a warm congratulations on getting the game out there!

Although I haven't had much time to post on the forums recently either, I still consider B12 my internet home, so it always makes me happy to see or hear about one of us succeeding in something :D

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2015, 02:19:25 am »

I bought the game a long time ago, just wanted to say thanks for the giveaway on a general level.

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2015, 08:14:28 pm »

I sparked a war between Ukraine and Greece and promptly made billions off their plight. I heartily approve.  The UI does take some getting used to but it works, I haven't done any of these missions that the story or whatever gave me, some sort of target tracking down thing and a mission where you have to visit a bunch of places in as little covered milage as possible, I tried that one once but I think I missed a country or something, but still been having a bit of fun running about doing sales and sparking a war or two.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:18:17 pm by Rilder »
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2015, 11:17:44 pm »

Anyone else having the issue where you can sell stuff endlessly without altering the prices? Like I can dump every single weapon from every country in the game into one market at war and make a 40%+ profit on everything. Already talked to hemmingjay and he didn't have it and hadn't heard of it before (they're looking into it though). Kind of weird.

Other than that the game looks pretty great. Can't really play seriously when none of the markets work right though, I just can't get a feel for how progression is supposed to be or have any real challenge. Made about 400 million in profit in the first 4 ingame days on Master difficulty, heh. It's like bowling with a ball the size of the lane and bumper rails - every throw is a strike.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2015, 04:00:28 pm »

Ooh, I've been meaning to play this once some more updates came out. I'll write my impressions of the game as I play the new version:

I got it to start just fine and the interface looks pretty at 1080p. I have a laptop which uses integrated graphics on unfamiliar programs- the game was running very slow on my Intel HD 4000 graphics, which is pretty surprising for a business sim. Anyways, I restarted it and made sure to use my Nvidia graphics, it seems to run without triggering my laptop's fan, so maybe there's intel optimization issues. I found my way to the tutorial without issue, started it, and opened the buy/sell window as instructed. Immediately I'm confused: Where did the tutorial window go? After opening and closing the buy/sell window a couple times I realized that it window was on top of the tutorial window and I could move it out of the way, but that was confusing. Also, because the buy/sell window was huge, I couldn't put it anywhere without obscuring part of the tutorial window- I wonder how bad this is at lower resolutions.

Then, I tabbed out to write all the text above here, and I noticed the game doesn't make an icon on the task bar (I'm using Win7 x64, by the way). I could tab in to again fine, but that's weird. Also, I don't know how to pause the game's clock, and it's now mid-april as I'm writing this. Japan has request 115 submachine guns within 85 days, I'm told- I could easily miss that time limit while going to get a sandwich, I think. Next I bought my guns, 14 of the cheap rocket launchers from china, and built my vehicle, perplexed by the way the sonar makes it go faster. I settled on a yacht that goes 438 miles an hour (!), carries 160 tons, and has a stealth of 6 (is that good?) I can't really picture what this thing is supposed to look like and the customization feels kind of weird. Next I open the travel planning windows, as the tutorial instructs, and I find my yacht actually has a speed of 876 miles an hour, apparently. I also note the lack of a "load cargo" button, before choosing "select course and cargo".

It takes a lot more fumbling to actually go somewhere: I have to click finland on the map, then choose the check box on the bottom left of the screen that says travel to finland, then choose review, then it doesn't actually say anything in the review screen, then I confirm. Next I bribe the general (some of the buttons really need backgrounds, the text doesn't pop out from the screen as being a button). Next I'm told to bid on the auction, so I do that- takes me a moment to realize I have to click the price box (it looks like a slider), then realize that the bid button isn't working when I try to bid a $1000 dollars. Before long though, I manage to place a bid that's over the stated minimum bid.

Now I'm told to open the buy/sell menu again, so I do that, and after finding the "only stock" button and pressing it (for selling, I feel like that should be on by default, and those tick boxes are in a weird place where I always miss them at first) I realize I haven't actually brought my rocket launchers with me to finland. It takes me a minute to close the buy/sell menu: It has a red X in the wrong place, and I have to click where regular windows have their grey X, which is blank space in the buy/sell menu.

I finagle with the transport window- I go back to russian with my family yacht, then to finland again with my custom yacht, this time finding the button to actually bring my rockets. I sell them, and I'm told I have to go bid on a SMUG auction, and in turn must travel to madagascar. After a bunch of confusion, I come upon what I must do: Click madagascar, click private transit, click all the countries I must travel through in order (this is the part that confused me, because before i had just moved to an adjacent country), click private transport again to open the travel window, then click review and confirm. Then I place a $9,000,000 bid on the unnamed (as far as I can tell) water class transport that has a speed of 210 MPH, carries 500 tons, 1 stealth and a 68% smuggle chance.

Next I'm told to take out on of a bunch of seemingly arbitrary loans, so I do so, and then i have to fulfill a request- Japan wants SMGs still, apparently. It looks like that request has the most value if I supply BSA 1949's from the UK, so i go to the UK- or rather, I move my custom yacht from Russia to the UK- I only just figured out that my vehicles don't move as a fleet, and that my family yacht is in Madagascar while the custom yacht is in europe. Then, I move my family yacht to the UK, since apparently it is what needs to be there for me to actually purchase the guns. Notably, i can't find a way to bring back the window that shows each country in a vehicle's route after having closed it. When I get to the UK, I realize they only have 6 of the SMGs, and I couldn't even afford the 115 Japan wants. Oops! That's curious, because if I click on the UK in the map and then click trade, it shows a supply of 1203 submachine guns. Instead I guy to the US and buy 115 thompson M1's. While my custom yacht is carrying those to china, I move my family yacht to sell some sniper rifles to Mexico, and make a little cash successfully. Once my custom yacht gets to its location, I find the "fullfill request" button doesn't work, so I move the family yacht also- I find it annoying that I have to hide the sides of the interface to travel to Hawaii and Caledonia, it would be nice if the map scrolled. I then fulfill the request, plus a 25% bonus since the guns came from the US.

Now, it says I get to start a war. Woo! After flipping through several countries, I decide to have Canada attack Cuba. For a mere $500,000, the Black Umbrella corporation causes Canada to have a drought (?) so that they'll go after Cuba for their water supply. I then go to execute some false-flag attacks, plant drugs on politicians (not really a game mechanic, these options are just randomly presented to you and you see if they work) but it doesn't get anywhere. Ultimately, I can't get Canada to go to war with Cuba after eight tries, so I decide to try to get Chad to attack the western sahara instead. I arrange a food shortage in Chad, and the sparks go flying.

Next I'm told to open the agency tab with the W key (no clickable button?) and the bonuses menu with the P key (again?) and I've completed the tutorial.

I'll try playing a game proper soon, and see how that goes.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

werty892

• Bay Watcher
  • Neat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2015, 08:24:59 pm »

Hey Hemmingjay. Been following this since the start, and it's great to see that you've done well! Good luck with continuous development. Sadly no disposable income now for this game, but I'll look into it later.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2015, 08:29:01 pm »

Spoiler: ridiclousness (click to show/hide)

I'm pretty sure my game is broken. Notice the date. And my money. And the fact the demand is -1 but I'm still selling it for a huge profit. The price actually kept going up as I sold more of them, despite demand going from 2 to -1.

Hehe. Now what do I do with all the money? World war 3?
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link