Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Embarking on a city  (Read 741 times)

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
Embarking on a city
« on: March 31, 2015, 06:26:14 am »

Hello, everyone.

I just tried out a little program named "JustEmbark", that I found some time ago to embark my fortresses on various interesting spots. I have tried elven forest retreats, tombs, necromancer towers and even dark pits.

It worked great. But then I tried to embark on human cities, maybe building a society of sewer-dwarves or something silly, but... it doesnīt work as intended. Most parts of the city were replaced with trees or mountains/hills, with the walls of the few remaining houses and even the castle mixed with normal mountain rock walls.  :o

It looked as if the mountains "grew" into the city at embark. There were also no humans, but a lot of wild animals. Now is my question if the embark area is randomly generated every time, and if yes, why does it spawn mountains in the city, but not in dark pits or forest retreats?

Greetings, The Dorfmeister.
GORLAK: A small, round humanoid found wandering the caves deep underground. Most of its body is taken up by a huge tusked mouth. Its skin is goldenrod, its eyes are red.

Dwarves admire Gorlaks for their impressive tusks, stimulating conversations and helpful guidances.

scamtank

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking on a city
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 07:30:06 am »

That thing is at least three years old, obsoleted and re-obsoleted more times than I can count. How did you not make everything explode?

DFHack has its own "embark anywhere" module that works fine. I can't remember if it's part of the standard package, but the Starter Pack has it ready to go.

The Dorfmeister

• Bay Watcher
  • Gorlak
    • View Profile
Re: Embarking on a city
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 07:47:23 am »

Okay, then I should get the "Embark Everywhere" module and try it again. Thank you.

By the way, "JustEmbark" works fine with no crashes or errors (other than the "mountainous cities") in my version. I didnīt know that it is so obsolete.
GORLAK: A small, round humanoid found wandering the caves deep underground. Most of its body is taken up by a huge tusked mouth. Its skin is goldenrod, its eyes are red.

Dwarves admire Gorlaks for their impressive tusks, stimulating conversations and helpful guidances.