Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Xcopper high bootX  (Read 2757 times)

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
Xcopper high bootX
« on: March 31, 2015, 02:44:21 am »

I didn't know metal boots can wear out.
Or was that a bug?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
Re: Xcopper high bootX
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2015, 03:10:36 am »

AFAIK, armor can occasionally get damaged; I've had instances of xsteel breastplatex dropped by a military dwarf.

There's also the mystery of all the XXcopper masksXX that dorfs pick from goblins, and which inevitably wear out. Out of curiosity, do you know if the dwarf wearing the item is military or civilian?
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 03:18:54 am »

My military don't do civ jobs and they haven't fight goblins yet.
At first I thought someone dropped the boots on a refuse stockpile, but I don't think metal items should rotten away....

The boots were already in my quantum stockpile when I found out so I can't tell who was their former owner(s).
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 04:45:58 am »

I've seen it in a retired and unretired fort after having visited with an adventurer.

RocheLimit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 06:39:12 am »

At first I thought someone dropped the boots on a refuse stockpile, but I don't think metal items should rotten away....

I think this may be it.  Military dwarfs have been known to play musical-armor when a new piece is made.  If a military dwarf was on a refuse pile when he heard the music start up, it is entirely likely the shoe dropped there where it rotted for a bit, until Urist McHauler telepathically realized it was in the wrong stockpile and QSP'd it.

When I was first learning (DF2012), my first foray into military was a disaster, as I could not figure out where the armor they made went.  I would queue up 10-20 pieces, and 15 minutes later check back to find the jobs finished by no armor in the nearby armor stockpile.  As it turns out, when I made the armor stockpile (accepting only from the armor forges) I had enabled ALL options... refuse included.  All that steel armor... rotted away...

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 08:47:02 am »

I think I saw this happened when armor gets dumped into a garbage zone, or maybe garbage zone next to a pit/channel. 
I was trying to sort out and split a QSP and separate by quality so I can mass designate no-bin stock pile to be melted. 
I haven't been able to duplicate it since, but I did notice the Xbronze <armor piece>X were all in a garbage zone that I could un-forbid and designate to melt.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 11:31:13 am »

If an item ends up in a refuse pile it rots.  Doesn't matter what it's made of, doesn't matter what it's quality level is, it just rots until it vanishes.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 01:44:41 pm »

If an item ends up in a refuse pile it rots.  Doesn't matter what it's made of, doesn't matter what it's quality level is, it just rots until it vanishes.

Only a few specific types of items experience accelerated wear in refuse piles--primarily clothing and armor. The vast majority of items do not (e.g. boulders, doors, trap components, weapons, statues, gems, quivers, and even plants and fat globs).

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 01:58:09 pm »

Nope, tested extensively.  Everything rots on a refuse pile, tho' the time necessary seems to depend on other factors.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 07:06:05 pm »

Then I need to move the barrack...

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 08:44:21 pm »

Nope, tested extensively.  Everything rots on a refuse pile, tho' the time necessary seems to depend on other factors.

I too have tested this extensively, and my tests show decades or even a century of storage in a refuse pile without any additional wear for all the items I listed.

My guess is that your tests were conducted outside in a frozen biome where low temperatures cause accelerated degradation. There's also vermin which can make certain items disappear, and natural wear that slowly affects (most) plant and animal products. None of these effects are related to storage in refuse stockpiles.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2015, 01:06:05 am »

Tested starting in 34.11 continued in 40.24, inside and outside in multiple biomes; including scorching deserts/savannah, glacier/tundra, temperate forest/plains/swamps, and several evil and good just to be sure.  It ALL rots on a refuse pile, metal objects begin to show wear (x) over 2-3 years, wood in around 1, everything else starts showing in less than 1 year.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2015, 03:47:19 am »

Tested starting in 34.11 continued in 40.24, inside and outside in multiple biomes; including scorching deserts/savannah, glacier/tundra, temperate forest/plains/swamps, and several evil and good just to be sure.  It ALL rots on a refuse pile, metal objects begin to show wear (x) over 2-3 years, wood in around 1, everything else starts showing in less than 1 year.

I have skeletons well over 10 years old on the refuse stockpile and they do not show wear, so not everything rots. They are in perfect condition, suitable for a medical school training or museum display.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2015, 03:58:01 am »

Also bones, horns, shells, skulls, etc
I think that is intended.

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2015, 07:58:00 am »

I can confirm that not everything rots in a refuse pile.

I made a mega-accept-all stockpile that encompassed my entire fortress, because I'm in evil territory and I brought a lot of stuff. The armor that I made was put into the stockpile, and some of it accumulated wear, because I forgot about refuse. Everything else is fine, I was starting to question reality until I remembered I allowed everything in, including refuse.

It only took a month or so for my helmet to accumulate wear, certainly not even a full season.
Pages: [1] 2