Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Embark without playable civilization  (Read 3952 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Embark without playable civilization
« on: March 30, 2015, 05:58:57 pm »

Is there a mod for this somewhere? I'd love to be the last bastion of dwarven culture. I guess I will get the two hard-coded waves and from then on it's time to dedicate myself completely to dwarven child care!

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
Re: Embark without playable civilization
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 06:30:14 pm »

Can't you just change "Needs Playable Civ" in world gen parameters to No? I always assumed that's what that was for.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 06:53:24 pm »

Can't you just change "Needs Playable Civ" in world gen parameters to No? I always assumed that's what that was for.
If you uncheck that and the world generates without a dwarven civilization the world will be unplayable in dwarf fortress mode.

the best way to go about it would be to generate a world that is very hostile to dwarves so that way their civilization is destroyed steadily during world gen. few mountain ranges, lots of places for goblins, lots of megabeast etc then just watch worldgen, if dwarven settlements are growing the place is still to nice. Right before dwarven civilization is extinguished stop world gen, go in, and save them.
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 07:07:17 pm »

These settings frequently result in nothing surviving outside of goblins and necromancers:
Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:PACKED]
[DIM:33:33]
[EMBARK_POINTS:1324]
[END_YEAR:200]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:175:15]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:0]
[ELEVATION:150:400:3200:3200]
[RAINFALL:10:85:101:101]
[TEMPERATURE:40:80:101:101]
[DRAINAGE:40:100:101:101]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:101:101]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:101:101]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[POLE:NONE]
[MINERAL_SCARCITY:500]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:20]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:10]
[TITAN_NUMBER:10]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:10]
[NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:0]
[BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:0]
[VAMPIRE_NUMBER:5]
[WEREBEAST_NUMBER:5]
[SECRET_NUMBER:5]
[REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:5]
[DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:5]
[EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:5]
[EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:5]
[GENERATE_DIVINE_MATERIALS:1]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:3:32:63]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:3:32:63]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:1]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:256:0:0]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
[RIVER_MINS:0:0]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:1]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:95]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:10]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:1]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:5]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:0]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:3]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:20]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
[SITE_CAP:350]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

Have fun!

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2015, 07:23:30 pm »

oh, didn't even think about that option haha
is there a way to get no dwarves but a good amount of every other race? that way I would still be able to go to war with everyone else

Roblakov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2015, 08:10:10 pm »

As an add-on to this question, is there a way to embark without selecting a dwarven civ, even if there are still existing dwarf civs? Is it possible to embark all on your lonesome?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 08:28:22 pm »

Hehe, I just recruit all migrants, strip them, then order them to station in the atom smasher room.

BTW, do you still get migrants if your site is on an island?
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 11:54:14 pm »

actually...just had a look at the wiki and it says that "If set to no, the result may be a world that cannot be played in Fortress Mode."

my goal is to play fortress mode, to have all other civs as neighbors/enemies but no migration besides the hard-coded waves. anyone with a seed or advice on how to achieve it?

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2015, 12:08:41 am »

Population caps?
Unless you don't want merchants and the liaison as well.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2015, 12:31:48 am »

Population caps?
I'd like to be the last remnant of dwarven culture, so ideally no other sites left. that leads me to another question: is it possible to become the mountain home if you are the only site left? i mean...who decides your status if there are no barons/kings etc. coming in via migration?

Ops Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2015, 12:33:34 am »

Population caps?
You could fiddle with the population and site numbers to make dwarven civilization more vulnerable to being destroyed without actually making the world more hostile.

here they are from the RAWS under entity_default
[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:100]
   [MAX_POP_NUMBER:10000]
   [MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:120]
^ play around with some of those and you should be able to find a point where dwarven civilization is pushed to the brink.
But more megabeast and making the world colder(gobs love the cold, so they will thrive like weeds) should help to weaken dwarven civilization without reducing the number of other civs significantly. I will admit all the kobolds will probably die out though... but they die out in regular world gen any way so your all good.
Likes Goblins for their terrifying features because I can slaughter them with gleeful abandon.

vjmdhzgr

• Bay Watcher
  • Hehehe
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2015, 12:45:41 am »

Population caps?
You could fiddle with the population and site numbers to make dwarven civilization more vulnerable to being destroyed without actually making the world more hostile.

here they are from the RAWS under entity_default
[MAX_STARTING_CIV_NUMBER:100]
   [MAX_POP_NUMBER:10000]
   [MAX_SITE_POP_NUMBER:120]
^ play around with some of those and you should be able to find a point where dwarven civilization is pushed to the brink.
But more megabeast and making the world colder(gobs love the cold, so they will thrive like weeds) should help to weaken dwarven civilization without reducing the number of other civs significantly. I will admit all the kobolds will probably die out though... but they die out in regular world gen any way so your all good.
I feel it should be noted that it's not that goblins like the cold, it's that nobody else does and goblins don't care so they're the only ones that settle there since the civs that don't like the cold take up the not cold areas until cold places are the majority.
Its a feature. Impregnating booze is a planned tech tree for dwarves and this is a sneak peek at it.
Unless you're past reproductive age. Then you're pretty much an extension of your kids' genitalia

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2015, 04:45:14 am »

I've had a couple of times where there was an embarkable civ option but it was just because of a couple dorf necromancers, that counts so you can keep an eye out and make sure you see some towers while the dorf sites all fall.

Xenophilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2015, 05:02:00 am »

is there a way to get no dwarves but a good amount of every other race?

If you try to make dwarves extinct by high amounts of beasts/savagery it is usually difficult to keep elves alive since they are so incredibly squishy. Your best bet would be to generate a world that has very few mountains but many forests. Set the number of sites to something high. It will take some tries but you will get there eventually.

Alternatively you could make dwarves sterile in the raws for example by adding
Code: [Select]
[ORIENTATION:MALE:100:0:0]to the female caste. Generate a world with, say 200 years of history, and dwarves should have died out barring the occational vampire/werecreature/necromancer. Before you embark, reset the orientation to normal so your fortress dwarves are not sterile as well.

As an add-on to this question, is there a way to embark without selecting a dwarven civ, even if there are still existing dwarf civs?

No, you always have a home civ, even if it is a dead one.

is it possible to become the mountain home if you are the only site left

Yes, actually when embarking from a dead civ, you will become the mountainhome immediately at embark or shortly after. One of your dwarves simply becomes the king.

Besides this is basically the only actual game-play effect that embarking from a dead civ differentiates from setting a low population cap, as even a dead civ will still send caravans for some reason. There won't be a liaison though so you won't be able to negotiate trade agreements.

If you really don't want any interaction with your home civilization - dead or not - embarking on a small island is the only possibility I am aware of. Unfortunately that will also cut off all the other civs. Maybe some better options will be available with the starting scenarios in the next release.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2015, 12:11:36 pm »

Yeah, worth keeping in mind that this tends to happen right after you unpause in these situations:
Pages: [1] 2