Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problems with elevation in world gen  (Read 3019 times)

Afghani84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problems with elevation in world gen
« on: March 28, 2015, 10:20:09 pm »

Hey guys,

here's what I am trying to do: gen a small(er) world with 10+ civilizations and only one dwarven civ. I want it to be one big landmass, so no ocean tiles. I tried to play around with elevation but it's not working out as I'd hoped.

I know that a dwarven civ needs a mountain peak for the initial mountainhome, so I set [Minimum Mountain Peak Number] to 1. I apparently cannot lower [Maximum Elevation] below 400 if I want a playable civ, so I left it untouched. To avoid ocean tiles, I put [Minimum Elevation] to 100 since I read somewhere that ocean needs values below 100.

That leaves me with 100-400. I then tried to play around with [Elevation Mesh Size] to make sure that high elevations are rare and medium elevations abundant. But it doesn't really seem to work. I either get way too many mountains or I can't create a world at all (usually with an error saying that the world generator cannot allocate all mid-level elevations). Any advice on what I could do differently?

Here are the world gen parameters I am using right now:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
Re: Problems with elevation in world gen
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 11:12:16 pm »

I use PerfectWorld when I want very specific worlds.

Also the following DFwiki page may help.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 11:14:53 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Xenophilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 05:35:39 am »

If you are experimenting with your own hand-made worlds you should preferably set all the "minimum ... square count", "minimum ... region count" and "minimum number of ... squares" to zero to reduce the number of rejections.

Dwarves set up their mountainhomes in any non-savage, neutral (not evil or good) mountains (peaks are not relevant here afaik). With a permitted elevation range of 100 - 400 setting the elevation mesh for example to: 8x8, (20,20,20,1,1) you should be able to generate a world with very few mountain tiles. It appears that the mesh is ignored if you set very high elevation variance values, so don't do that. In the parameters you posted, the elevation mesh appears to be inactive. Set it from ignore to 4x4 (smaller region) or 8x8 (small region).

Apparently no two civs will be placed in one region initially, so if you generate a world with a single valid mountain range you will only get one dwarven civ. With the above mesh settings I just created a small world with 20 civs and only one type of dwarves.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2015, 11:54:47 am »

Well, besides removing the rejection parameters, I'm actually a fan of setting the elevation x/y variation up higher, when you put it at 150~400 with 3200x3200 variation you get worlds with clustered mountains like this:

Edit: just saw the bit about just one civ, I've had a few like that but it's usually a "last man standing" type world, those do happen a lot like this though.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:57:42 am by Max™ »