Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suicidal dwarves leaving burrows with restriction set?  (Read 1567 times)

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suicidal dwarves leaving burrows with restriction set?
« on: March 28, 2015, 08:58:05 am »

Despite having a civilian burrow restriction, my dwarves lately have been happily leaving the safety of the burrow to throw themselves in front of the minecart death trap connecting them to the outside world.

The ones I looked at had "on break" and "no job", and literally no reason to leave the burrow. But leave they did. So I can only conclude they were wilfully killing themselves. A sort of dwarven Dignitas.

There was only one entrance (through the aforementioned impulse-ramp driven minecart death machine), so I just don't get it. I didn't even think it was possible to ignore a burrow restriction?

Anyhow, the fort was dying to FPS death so I just sat back and let a combination of minecarts + reanimated dwarven toes brutally murder my legendary dorfs. I can't help feeling they all deserve it ;)

Hmm, that begs the question: Is there such a thing as a non-suicidal dwarf?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Suicidal dwarves leaving burrows with restriction set?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 09:54:16 am »

Regular burrows do not restrict dwarf movement, they *only* restrict what jobs a dwarf may take. As you noted, dwarves without jobs will happily wander out of the burrow, as will dwarves taking a "shortcut" to their next job inside the burrow.

The only way to constrain dwarves to a burrow is to enable a civilian alert.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2015, 09:59:41 am »

I recently had something like this, although no burrow restrictions were in place. I noticed that several dwarves without jobs were hanging around all over the fort, especially on dangerous spots, and I wondered why they weren't hanging out in the dining hall like they should have. It turned out that the dining hall wasn't set as a meeting hall, so they were just idling everywhere else EXCEPT in the dining hall. (The same thing happened to my dormitories after I noticed that everyone was sleeping on the ground instead of the beds - the dorms were not set as dorms, and a dwarf had claimed the whole room.)

But as a more answer-y answer: Burrow restrictions do not forbid pathing through a non-burrowed area. So let's say you have a burrow like this:

. . . .  . . . ..
.+++.+++.
.+++.+++.
.+++.+++.
. . . .  . . . ..

Where + is an area marked as a burrow, and . is a non-burrowed area

Dwarves will move from the left on to the right one just fine. The will only do this when their destination is inside the other burrow, not when their destination is in between them.

In short, burrows are only checked for when pathing to an area, not when pathing through an area.
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.

k9wazere

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2015, 12:28:25 pm »

Regular burrows do not restrict dwarf movement, they *only* restrict what jobs a dwarf may take. As you noted, dwarves without jobs will happily wander out of the burrow, as will dwarves taking a "shortcut" to their next job inside the burrow.

The only way to constrain dwarves to a burrow is to enable a civilian alert.

There was a civilian alert. That's supposed to stop dwarves leaving the burrows, right?

Well, it prevents dorfs from using items outside the burrows, at least. But it seems they will quite happily wander around outside the burrow if they have no job.

Foxite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2015, 01:09:25 pm »

Some checks to do that might help:
  • Are you sure that the burrow is active on the alert (does it have an A next to the burrow name when you have the cursor on the alert level in question)?
  • Are you sure that the alert level is actually active (does it say [CIV] next to the alert name)?
  • Lastly, are you sure that the burrow itself is defined properly?
The best way to demonstrate it to him is take a save of 40 year old fortress with 150 dwarves in it on a good sized embark with a volcano that just breached the circus and install it on his gaming rig and watch it bring his rig to its knees.