Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Creative Moat Ideas?  (Read 4128 times)

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
  • Dosen't really care about anything anymore.
    • View Profile
Re: Creative Moat Ideas?
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2015, 10:18:13 am »

Cheesemakers, vamps, weredwarves, random creatures etc. Also turn walls nearby into fortifications and put marksdorf barracks behind them. Remove cheesemakers when sufficiently skilled in combat.
Quote from: Max™ on December 06, 2015, 04:09:21 am
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2015, 10:42:45 am »

well, there's lots of ways to be creative.  I've always liked finishing off wounded guys with animals or as training for novice marksdwarfs.  The great thing being if a elite bowgoblin falls down 9 levels, he may not be dead but there's a good chance he'll be incapacitated, so won't be a threat.

And you can go cheap with a ton of wooden spikes.
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2015, 11:03:32 am »

Too bad that water pumping doesn't work quickly enough to let you drain something so fast that creatures inside it fall several Z-levels.
Wait, could that be possible? ˇˇscienceˇˇ is required.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2015, 01:21:07 pm »

Spikes at the bottom and a necromancer with a view of the spike bed to revive anything that dies in order to kill anything that lived?

And you can still have your recruit marksdwarves target practice with wood/bone bolts to add to the fun.
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

BoredVirulence

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 01:44:49 pm »

Maybe we can use a werewolf to activate a timing mechanism so that we switch between killing mechanisms every month?
The states so far...
  • Spike trap
  • Undead
  • Minecart loop
  • Aquatic monsters

We can totally engineer this!

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2015, 05:01:51 pm »

I make every spike trap deadlier by linking it up to a minecart repeater. But that will kill the necromancer. Or make him a ninja.

Problem with mechanised spikes is it can take months to set up, especially if your dwarves are cave adapted (assuming this is open to the sky). Heavy floors are a bit less deadly, but can be done in a few days.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2015, 06:14:25 pm »

Alright, so we have a 9z pit, lead lined at the bottom? I don't see any reason why we can't fill it with mechanized spikes AND fill it with aquatic creatures.

Frankly, a necromancer would only make undead swimming zombies. That is to say, a necromancer would only make it better. For the minecart loop, have it around the lip of the death pool to knock about anyone trying to climb out.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2015, 09:05:58 pm »

Horses. Buy as many horses as you can and put them in the moat so they trample anything that falls in. Horse Moat.

Dwarf4Explosives

• Bay Watcher
  • Souls are tasty. Kinda like bacon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2015, 06:06:22 am »

Alright, so we have a 9z pit, lead lined at the bottom? I don't see any reason why we can't fill it with mechanized spikes AND fill it with aquatic creatures.

Frankly, a necromancer would only make undead swimming zombies. That is to say, a necromancer would only make it better. For the minecart loop, have it around the lip of the death pool to knock about anyone trying to climb out.
Excellent. That would also solve the problem of undead climbing out of the moat.
And yet another bit of proof that RNG is toying with us. We do 1984, it does animal farm
...why do your hydras have two more heads than mine? 
Does that mean male hydras... oh god dammit.

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2015, 08:04:39 am »

What about 10x low quality spiked wooden balls to force the occupants to dodge eternally?
Also, if you ever figure out why poets/bards/dancers just randomly start butchering people/getting butchered, please don't fix it, I love never knowing when a dance party will turn into a slaughter.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2015, 11:53:19 am »

Fill it with cats. The one true dwarven solution to both overpopulation of cats and invaders. Bonus points if the invaders jump in to attack the cats...

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2015, 12:06:43 pm »

Badgers, preferably of the giant kind.
I just find the idea of throwing someone into a moat filled with anger, claws, fur, anger, hate and blood (also anger) way too hilarious.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Insert_Gnome_Here

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2015, 03:13:58 pm »

Badgers, preferably of the giant kind.
I just find the idea of throwing someone into a moat filled with anger, claws, fur, anger, hate and blood (also anger) way too hilarious.

I hope this displays.

++EDIT++
It didn't. It was from Futurama Anthology of interest 1 where there are the maneating anteaters.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:17:54 pm by Insert_Gnome_Here »

Sefarian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2015, 03:54:58 pm »

...Why not carp? Angry zombie carp? ;)

Atomicdoom

• Bay Watcher
  • Stand back! I got this. *DEAD*
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 31, 2015, 06:20:17 pm »

Giant moat-swamp of death + Castle = Dorf Moat Cailin

Let all your enemies tremble as they are transformed into an arrow porcupine while they wade through your giant water/mud/rat corpse/miasma curtain
Pages: 1 [2] 3