Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should my images be spoilered?

Yes.
No.

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: FTL: Federation Command | Stealth Ship Type A: Chuggin along  (Read 18888 times)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
  • WELL! OK THEN!... That was fun.
    • View Profile
Re: FTL: Federation Command | Stealth Ship Type A: What do I buy?
« Reply #105 on: April 18, 2015, 11:48:32 pm »

defense drone sells for 25. I listed all of the prices beneath the store info.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 18, 2015, 11:51:00 pm »

Oh, talking about augments, i think is better to upgrade shields and engines before upgrading weapons.
Buy shields,upgrade to 4 (two shield barriers) repair, sell the titanium casing , the zoltan shield bypass and the drone.

Of note is that two shield barriers makes you inmune to almost anything is the first sectors (except missiles, and we have the cloak for that)
« Last Edit: April 18, 2015, 11:59:44 pm by Broken »
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 19, 2015, 12:00:09 am »

I think having all these weapons will allow us to blow through sector 3 with minimal damage.
I think the OP will have to power engines down 1 and turn off oxygen to power it all.  I hope you're ok with some micromanagement during combat.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 19, 2015, 12:02:44 am »

It seems that everyone agrees on buying shields, selling defense drone, and buying repairs. That'l leave 31 scrap leftover. After that, I'll show the current suggestions.

-Sell zoltan bypass and system casings, buy shields to level 4. 48 scrap leftover.

-sell system casings, buy weapons to level 4, and buy 1 power. 0 scrap leftover (only 10 repairs)

I think having all these weapons will allow us to blow through sector 3 with minimal damage.
I think the OP will have to power engines down 1 and turn off oxygen to power it all.  I hope you're ok with some micromanagement during combat.
micromanagement is perfectly fine with me. But I am bound to make mistakes at some point or another.
"'...It represents the world. They [the dwarves] plan to destroy it.' 'WITH SOAP?!'" -legend of zoro (with some strange interperetation)

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 19, 2015, 12:31:43 am »

True, but with another shield barrier we won't suffer damage. At all.
(note: buy 1 more of power to help with the shields, i forgot that)
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 19, 2015, 01:27:12 am »

True, but with another shield barrier we won't suffer damage. At all.
Probably not, but it's still possible.  Say we meet a ship with 2 drones and a beam weapon.
Or say we meet a ship with a missile and 2 shields.  2 shields are rare in sector 3, but possible, I think.  Then we have to rely on both shots of the dual laser hitting to knock out shields so the mini beam can damage their weapons.

Even against ships with just 1 shield and missiles, you'll sometimes take damage because you aren't able to knock out weapons completely before they get off two shots; you can cloak the first shot, but cloak will be recharging when they get off the second shot.

If we boost weapons instead, we might be able to consistently damage their weapons enough before they're able to damage us; just wait for their first volley, cloak, then fire everything at weapons, and keep firing at weapons to keep them in the red.  If we run into a weird ship with 2 drones, that could be a problem, but we might be able to take out both their weapons and drone bay before they're able to damage us very much.

Another problem with your plan is it involves selling the zoltan shield bypass, which can be useful.  Without it, ships with zoltan shields can end up doing major damage sometimes, because they can get off multiple volleys before we're able to kill the zoltan shield, knock out their shields, and then knock out their weapons.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 19, 2015, 01:56:49 am »

Another problem with your plan is it involves selling the zoltan shield bypass, which can be useful.  Without it, ships with zoltan shields can end up doing major damage sometimes, because they can get off multiple volleys before we're able to kill the zoltan shield, knock out their shields, and then knock out their weapons.

The zoltan shield bypass dosen't nullify the shield, it only allows to use teleportation and hacking trough it (and we don't have any of those anyway) I only find useful the shield bypass for boarding ships. Also, it dosn't matter if they fire multiple volleys before we strike down the shield, since they won't be able to hurt us if we have two barriers.

(well, unless they have a missile weapon, but that is what engines are for)

Also, another advantage of two shields is that it makes much easier to train the crew. Just wait taking shots until the pilot and the engine room guy (and maybe the shields guy, buy he is less important) are maxed.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 19, 2015, 02:23:08 am »

two shields definitely. I ALWAYS try to get two shields as fast as possible to avoid damage.
This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 19, 2015, 08:25:49 am »

Votes so far:

-Sell zoltan bypass and system casings, buy shields to level 4, buy 1 power. 28 scrap leftover. (Broken, tryrar) 2

-sell system casings, buy weapons to level 4, and buy 1 power, only 10 repairs. 1 scrap leftover. (Zazimo)

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 19, 2015, 07:50:13 pm »

I Vote with Broken and tryrar
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 19, 2015, 08:44:36 pm »

Given: Buy shields, buy repairs, sell repair drone.

Votes so far:

-Sell zoltan bypass and system casings, buy shields to level 4, buy 1 power. 28 scrap leftover. (Broken, tryrar, BFEL) 3

-sell system casings, buy weapons to level 4, and buy 1 power, only 10 repairs. 1 scrap leftover. (Zazimo)

origamiscienceguy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 25, 2015, 11:40:03 am »

This time, I liestn to the bickering of the Federation Command as they tell me what to buy and upgrade. Both sides bring up good proposals and they are split between upgrading the weapons to allow the burst laser to work, and upgrading the shields to get 2 bubbles. In the end, the majority vote to upgrade the shields twice. So I oblige. I send that zanzibar guy to man the new shield systems. Hopefully, he'll get good at it really quickly.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
unfortunately, my shopping spree left me in an awkward situation as far as exploration goes. I go to the exit beacon, but I don't plan on exiting yet. I'll explore some more and fight the Rebel Fleet on my way out because I feel confident in my new upgrades protecting me.
At the exit, all there was was a merchant trying to sell me useless drones in return for some of my useful fuel. I didn't even make eye contact.
I jump to the distress beacon before the Rebels take it over, forfeiting an easy escape for hopefully more loot.
The distress signal wasn't actually a distress signal.
Sighing, I jump east. I could go back to the exit, but I have already explored there, and I think two more beacons of loot is worth a fight with the Rebels.
Upon arrival, some crazy humans try to take my ship by force. I calmly say, "Broken... kill."
The humans teleport right into Broken's claws, but they outnumber him two to one, so I send Zazimo as cannon fodder. I send everybody else, including myself, into the medbay and vent the rest of the ship on oxygen. Only the door room, and the medbay will have oxygen. This forces the boarding crew to either deal with Broken's maw, or come into our medbay where we get healed.
The result is 4 dead humans. I tell Zormod to throw their bodies out of the airlock because he did a terrible job at being cannon fodder, and I jump North.
After those crazy humans I am glad to be able to talk to some non crazy humans. Unfortunately, these humans are just as crazy as the last ones. In a hurry, I cut transmissions.
I quickly check to make sure everything is ready before jumping to the exit again. There is going to be an entire armada once I arrive.
I hear some frantic Federation Command transmissions telling me how doomed I am. I look around, and only see one ship who decided to fight me. The others seem to ignore me.
I cloak out their missile launch, happy that I no longer have to worry about their laser weapons. I fire my 2 lasers and take out their shields, then follow up with a nice blast from my beam. That takes their missile offline which means that they litterally can't hurt me. So much for the "invincible" fleet. My next salvo sets many of their rooms on fire, and takes their shields completely offline. They don't have long t live. In desperation, they fire a missile which I cloak out again. And my next beam attack destroys their ship. Federation Command tells me not to salvage any of the ship because I don't have enough time, but I don't know what they're talking about. There all of the other ships are just ignoring me. I have all the time in the world.
Nonetheless, Federation takes its time to decide what sector I should jump to next. Should I go to an engi controlled sector, or a rebel controlled sector?
Spoiler: galaxy map (click to show/hide)

Where do I go? Engi controlled sector, or Rebel controlled sector?

All 4 jumps before the rebel fight had nothing worthwhile in them. This was a bad section.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rebel sector, ofc. We need more Lootz.

Zazmio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Rebel sector, ofc. We need more Lootz.
+1

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile

Engi sector, those guys are cool and tend to just GIVE you lootz. Often really good lootz.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9