Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Hunter and Hunted (TSG)  (Read 4644 times)

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
Hunter and Hunted (TSG)
« on: March 26, 2015, 05:46:18 am »

((An experimental suggestion game where you play as two characters who try to hunt and hide from each other, basically a young witch trying to start a coven, and a witch hunter's apprentice trying to pass his trials. The setting is modern day, with guns and Internet.))

Your grandmother lies feeble in her deathbed, buried in an avalanche of blankets to keep her warm. As her favorite granddaughter, she asked to spend her last hours on earth with you.

"Come closer," she says in a hushed voice, as if hiding from someone. Her eyes stare blankly into the wall of the room. "It's time you learned what I am. And what you are.

"Ever since Eve ate the fruit of the Tree of Knowledge and fell to the Devil's temptation, sin and want and suffering have existed in this world. Through greed or desperation, pacts have been made to forces from beyond for power and salvation, in exchange for the souls that God above gave us. Long in the past, some time in the witch hunts of Spain, one of our ancestors made a pact with the Devil himself. Every other generation of daughters would be born a witch," she says the word witch with acid in her voice, "and would have great powers beyond the dreams of mortal man."

You sit confused. You think she's losing her mind and you're about to call for your mother, but your grandmother seems to sense your distress. "No need for that, sweetie, she knows. Just ask. You might not believe, but you're coming of age and the Blood Moon is rising. Time will tell the truth."

This is all crazy. What was all this crap about Blood Moons and pacts with the devil? Again, without you even speaking a word, your grandmother seems to read your thoughts. "Just ask your mother. My time is running out. All you need to know is what you are, and what you need to do."

What exactly is it that you're supposed to do? The kindly grandmother who'd bake cookies every weekend was now replaced by this babbling mad woman. Just as you were about to ask a question, she closed her eyes and never opened them again.

You suddenly feel something awaken inside you. The feeling is far from pleasant, though strangely addictive. Suddenly, you feel the intense desire to:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You also start experiencing strange things. One in particular includes:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You hear your mother call your name from downstairs. In the blur of all that's happening right now, from the madness that grandma just spoke, to her death, to that ominous feeling deep inside you, to the very world around you changing, you forget your name for a moment.

What was your name again?
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?
Dying of pure unbridled hatred, actually.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: Hunter and Hunted (TSG)
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 11:18:30 am »

Burn
Hearing the Unheard
(can we branch out and/or recruit other witches from the other branches later on?)

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 01:44:16 pm »

Burn
Hearing the Unheard
(can we branch out and/or recruit other witches from the other branches later on?)
+1 pyro zombies
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 01:55:22 pm »

Burn
Hearing the Unheard
+1 pyro zombies
?

Glacies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 03:06:55 pm »

Seconding Burn and Hearing the Unheard. Or thirding. Or whatever. The other options sound more hostile, and honestly, we don't need to go all misanthropic just yet. We can be one of those sissified good witch types. Well, okay, fire powers doesn't exactly sound friendly either, but it doesn't come bundled with antisocial personality traits.

I hope the forum hooks the Witch Hunter and the Witch up, Good Omens style.

Ardent Debater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 03:14:20 pm »

Let's be a Witch Paladin!

Peradon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 03:14:46 pm »

No, we need Manipulate and Knowing the Unknown.

Ya'll need Jesus. Just sayin'.

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 03:18:51 pm »

Dominate and Seeing the Unseen.

It's a natural combination that opens up an entire second world for us to bring into reality to suit our needs.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 07:34:09 am »

(Still need a name.)

You have an intense desire to start playing with fire. You can feel the fireplace downstairs call to you. You seem to innately know the locations of every candle in the house. Waving a hand across a candle, the flame follows obediently, waxing and waning on command. From downstairs, you hear your mother call your name.

"Come down, sweetie, the party's over. All the guests are gone. I need to show you something." Her voice lacks any actual grief, even though she knows that her mother has just passed away. You also sense fear and urgency in her tone.

You walk down the creaking staircase all the way to the bottom floor of the three storey cottage. Your three brothers are sweeping the floors, washing plates and cleaning up the tables. They stop immediately and gather around your mother, sitting in front of the fireplace. She stares vacantly into the flames. An eerie, orange glow is cast on her face. The three brothers stand grimly. This is not the behavior you'd ever expect of those three sport-loving, ruckus-rousing hooligans.

"Mom, grandma's-"

"Dead. I know." Her voice is empty.

"I think she was starting to lose it. She was going on and on about-"

"Witches," all four say in unison. You stand in shock. You think this is all some strange, surreal dream. "Your grandmother told me about us when I was far, far younger than you. She told the boys as well."

"Why didn't she tell me? Why didn't anyone tell me?"

"That was my idea. Unlike you, the rest of us aren't witches. Even if we knew about witches and their secret workings, we couldn't really get dragged into their troubles. You, however, could. Your grandmother and her coven had enough witches as it was; I convinced them they didn't need you. However, they miscalculated the arrival of the Blood Moon, and all of them hadn't lived long enough to carry through with their plans." Your mother looks up at you, eyes red with tears. "You are my mother's contingency plan. You must complete their ritual in a year's time from today on the Night of the Blood Moon. If we miss this, the curse she planted on us will awaken and our bloodline will be forever cursed."

Still you have a hard time coming to grips with all this. Was this some sick horrible prank? Of course not. You'd be able to tell. They were all telling the truth.

"This whole house was built on top of your grandmother's coven's hideout. There's a library in there, as well as your grandmother's notes, if you ever need to ask a question. You can ask me too; your grandmother taught me rigorously in magic though I wasn't a witch, just in case for this situation."

"What am I supposed to do? What does grandma expect me to do?"

"Well, first you need your coven, which means giving your blood to other girls to turn them into witches bound to you. They'll help you with whatever you need," your eldest brother says. "Of course, we'll help too. Family is family, even though we all have the blood of the Devil in our veins."

First things first, you need to start a coven! You know a few good friends who might fit in, and some other contacts as well (Mom says to start small, so you need to pick two. Apparently the bloodletting is only performed in the full moon, and doing more than two people at a time would lead to blood-loss). Also, there's apparently a whole building under the cottage for you to explore, including a library.

Spoiler: Unnamed Witch (click to show/hide)
I wish I could unwatch a thread because every time I look at this I can feel myself dying faster
Dying of laughter?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2015, 08:22:22 am »

Sophia Smith. The most generic name in America. Alright. Practice your pyromancy and half-sight as much as possible. Horribly mutate your two best friends with your unholy blood.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2015, 08:44:13 am by The Froggy Ninja »

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2015, 08:41:46 am »

Sophia Smith. The most generic name in America. Alright. Practice your pyromancy and half-sight as much as possible. Horribly mutate your two best friends with your unholy blood.
-1 on the Smith bit and the mutate bit.

Ask if the curse will be inherited by whoever we choose to join.

Because I might be going to bed soon, I'll just put down my suggestions in case we do end up mutating our friends.
Stacey Freeman and Cindy Steele.
Stacey because of her loyalty and her ability to kill people. Cindy because of her presumed loyalty (the crush) and her wealth.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2015, 09:47:01 am »

The Mutate bit was a reference to converting.

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2015, 12:04:33 pm »

Somehow I don't think witches would last very long if turning into one also made you into a horrifically disfigured monster...

Ask if the curse will be inherited by whoever we choose to join.

Because I might be going to bed soon, I'll just put down my suggestions in case we do end up mutating our friends.
Stacey Freeman and Cindy Steele.
Stacey because of her loyalty and her ability to kill people. Cindy because of her presumed loyalty (the crush) and her wealth.
+1
Name: Laura Putnam
edit: fixed broken quote

Cheesecake

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2015, 07:06:30 pm »

"So, what? You want me to just go tell my friends, 'Hey! My ancestors made a pact with Satan! Wanna join?'"

Your mother is not amused. "This isn't the time, Laura. The Blood Moon is rising. We're going to live in your grandma's cottage for now. Tomorrow, when you go to school, I want you to find two friends you can absolutely trust and bring them here. The sooner all this madness is finished, the sooner we can go back to our normal lives."

The next day of school was the longest school day of your life. Many students offered condolences to you, which you could tell were mostly empty. The power to tell if someone's lying sucks; now you know most people are asses. Right after cheering practice ends, you pull out Stacey and Cindy from the group of cheerleaders and pull away behind the bleachers. The two of them look confused. Reading their hearts, they think it's a boy problem. Boy are they wrong.

You quickly explain to them everything that happened last night. Stacey and Cindy give a worried laugh and exchange glances. "Are you alright, Laura? I know it must be hard losing your grandma-"

"It's not that!" You try to find some way to convince them that what you say is true. A figurative bulb lights up in your brain. You pull out your lighter and light a flame. Waving your hand over it, the flame begins to follow.

Stacey arches an eyebrow. "That doesn't make you a witch, Laura."

This is starting to get on your nerves. Angrily, you throw the lighter to the floor. It is engulfed in flames and a steady jet of fire rushes from the palm of your hands. All three of you scream in unison. Even you didn't know you could do that. You stare at your palm in wonder, hands shaking. You quickly put it down; probably shouldn't point that directly to your face. After another hour or so of convincing, you get your friends to come with you to your cottage home. The family welcomes them inside and takes them down into the basement. Grandma never let you down there, and for good reason: the entire place is decorated with candles and grotesque, centuries-old statues. On the floor, you can see what must be bloodstains.

"Um, Mrs. Putnam, is all this for real?" Cindy asks. Your mother is silent and solemn.

Your mother bids you stand at an altar at the end of the basement, with Stacey and Cindy at either side. Two bowls are at the ends of the table. Your mom stands behind you and grabs your hands, holding them firmly in place. Jack and John both hold knives and slice your wrists. To your surprise, it doesn't hurt a bit. Your blood, black and thick, slowly oozes down into the bowls. James takes a bowl and makes Stacey drink it, with Jack and John holding her down. She resists heavily, struggling against your brothers. After she finishes all the blood, she falls to the ground and pants heavily. Cindy goes through the same ordeal.

Suddenly, you can feel their heartbeats. You put your hand to your heart, and realize all of your hearts are now beating in perfect unison. You feel a strong bond with them, stronger than the friendship you already had. You are taken back upstairs where Stacey and Cindy are given warm meals and some time to nap.

"What now, mom?"

"Well, that's up to you, sweetie. There's the basement for you to explore. And the library. And there's probably some other things your grandmother so kindly forgot to tell me, somewhere in this cottage."

Spoiler: Laura Putnam (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Hideout (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Coven (click to show/hide)
Dying of laughter?

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2015, 07:11:26 pm »

Check out the Occult wing and try to figure out the powers of your new underlings.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4