Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Lack of Hostiles  (Read 3972 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: Lack of Hostiles
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2015, 11:20:09 pm »

Jack up the number of demon types, it should help get multiple fortresses placed at the start. Even with measures in place to keep per site pops down I still get 4 or 5 fortresses scattered around a 17x17 with I think 22 or 25 demon types.

utunnels

• Bay Watcher
  • Axedwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2015, 01:22:29 am »

For some reason, if you murder merchants, sometimes, there will be a red "war" besides the civs in the embark screen.
But after you embark, they are actually peaceful... I don't know why, but I saw that happened.
The troglodyte head shakes The Troglodyte around by the head, tearing apart the head's muscle!

Risen Asteshdakas, Ghostly Recruit has risen and is haunting the fortress!

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2015, 03:11:05 am »

I recommend you give a try to 34.11 if you want regular big goblin sieges and ambushes happening more than rarely, in 40.x the only regular siege you're going to get is the undead one (but be warned , unlike in past version the 40.x undead will destroy any experienced dwarven army if you fight their legion in melee).

The gameplay experience in 34.11 is not very different than 40.x fortress mode so you are not going to get lost with the interface (major difference out of the "world updating" is that wood is being less numerous due to trees not being multi-tiles) and more fun at the moment in my opinion if you're looking for an opposition.

For even more fun, you can even go back to play DF 0.28.181.40d if you want to see carps in rivers in their full glory and a simpler squad and military management system for your dwarves.
And if you wish to see the elephants in their full glory , you can go try DF v0.23.130.23a

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 10, 2015, 03:17:27 am »

The gameplay experience in 34.11 is not very different than 40.x fortress mode so you are not going to get lost with the interface (major difference out of the "world updating" is that wood is being less numerous due to trees not being multi-tiles) and more fun at the moment in my opinion if you're looking for an opposition.

Well, except for emotions and job priorities. Those are both pretty big.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2015, 04:21:44 am »

True.
I forgot the DF2014 "fear of everything" emotion that is a big problem for military dwarves and require the player to make sure their troops learn a discipline skill level or two in order to not run away from their targets, while in previous version you could still put a fight with quickly drafted dwarves when your situation was critical.

I guess the lack of sieges somehow counterbalance the discipline problem somehow.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 10, 2015, 02:36:19 pm »

For some reason, if you murder merchants, sometimes, there will be a red "war" besides the civs in the embark screen.
But after you embark, they are actually peaceful... I don't know why, but I saw that happened.
I presume peace was made in the years simulated between embarking and arriving at the new site.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 10, 2015, 03:04:26 pm »

I thought it was two weeks?

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2015, 09:25:43 pm »

Should be easy to check in legends mode.

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2015, 07:02:03 pm »

So I recently booted up Dwarf Fortress for the first time in a while with the most recent updates... And, apart from the odd werebeast, I'm not encountering any hostiles in fortress mode. No titans, no forgotten beasts, no goblins and no kobolds. [...]
Anyone else experiencing this?

I have no idea how that happens. My current fortress has had multiple forgotten beast attacks, two titans and a cyclops, plus it's been sieged many times by hundreds of goblins, with groups of trolls and ogres. Usually, there have been 60-80 units per siege.

This is from a vanilla, small world with 550 years of history. I didn't choose a site right next to a goblin fortress or anything intentional. The only problem with "small" (or smaller) worlds that I've seen is that civs can get wiped out pretty easily. My current world has a very small human population - only about 300.  Apparently, too far away to trade.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2015, 11:32:20 pm »

I thought it was two weeks?
I had a world which I pushed from the age of myth to legends, I started playing on it in 92, I recall getting the age transition message while traveling and legends shows me wandering the wilds in the late winter of 92, then immediately after it has me wandering the wilds in the late winter of 93. When I retired for a bit to play the fortress I had started some more it took forever to start because it updated the world from late winter 93 to late winter 94, resulting in this:

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2015, 11:40:14 pm »

Late winter is December/January IRL, so yeah, late winter 2014 is the same winter as late winter 2013.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2015, 12:59:56 am »

Well, still, this is a big jump for your own civ to list nothing at all:

Only the wars and such show up for like all of 93. Age of Myth ended in late winter 92, Age of Legends starts early spring 93, first new mention of me/my civ is late winter 94.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2015, 01:24:21 am »

Wait, actually, does the year start in spring in DF?

...Wait isn't there mid-spring? So that would be early, mid and late being one month each. Huh.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2015, 06:42:17 am »

Yeah, but I'm not sure when the year starts, and don't hold up hope of me knowing the month order. I know things tend to die on the 1st of Hematite so I think that's spring/new year but I just don't pay enough attention to the months.

Hmmm, now I'm even less sure what was going on:

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2015, 06:53:12 am »

The calendar wiki article says the first day of spring is the first day of the new year.
Pages: 1 [2]