Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21

Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 50547 times)

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #210 on: April 01, 2015, 03:30:25 pm »

Also, whenever a companion interrupts dialogue, nobody even acknowledges his existence. I'm not sure of this but in BG/2 I think usually at least the NPC would do some sort of offhanded dismissing remark.

I noticed this, and I think it's just another example of how little has been done with the companions compared to the other games. I know BG/2 had this a lot, especially with certain combinations. I just don't get how they didn't realise this is pretty much the biggest part of the game (although don't get me wrong, I love being able to hire if needs be). I mean, think how famous Boo is!!

Still, it's a fantastic game all in, and I'm really enjoying it.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

GrizzlyAdamz

• Bay Watcher
  • Herp de derp
    • View Profile
    • Check this shit out
« Reply #211 on: April 02, 2015, 08:43:34 pm »

Apparently the patch is headed out tomorrow, which is good because I'm worried I'm enjoying making characters more than I should, and I'm running out of characters to make.

In an unrelated note, I don't think I agree with the 'pump up might/intellect in all classes' meta.
Taking the rogue I just made as an example, I'm rolling 13m 5c 18d 16p 11i 15r.
Now, I could free up 5 points from the others and buff might to 18.
But what would I get?
15% more damage, 10 fortitude, and an orlan that can push down stone walls with his bare hands.
And what do I lose? Stats & checks that fit a rogue much, much better.
15% isn't something to sneeze at, but it isn't the best thing since sliced bread either.
I'd rather build a rogue that plays like a rogue.
Anyone agree?
Badges of honor
GENERATION 11: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Check this shit out- (it changes)
Profile->Modify Profile->Look and Layout->Current Theme: Default [Change]->Darkling (it's good for your eyes and looks better)

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: April 03, 2015, 01:35:30 am »

I agree :)

What is the patch supposed to fix?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: April 03, 2015, 02:37:26 am »

https://forums.obsidian.net/blog/7/entry-179-patch-notes-103/

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: April 03, 2015, 08:38:34 am »

So I've finished the game after 39 hours. This was taking the game extremely slow, completing as many quests as possible and even leaving the game idle occasionally.

The game clearly ran out of something starting the third chapter. Whether it was time, money, dedication or a combination of all three I found the game to drag on and lack solid direction. Combat was the clearest indication of this with enemies being recycled constantly and the difficulty dropping off a cliff. I killed the last boss in a single volley from my party.

The ending was rather disappointing as well. It took an interesting twist which would have major consequences for the world but the ending just leads you to a Deus Ex styled magical box where you choose the ending you want yet almost completely disregards that big twist. The twist was by far one of the more engaging philosophical questions in the game and it's really disheartening to see it lead nowhere.

All in all it's a good game, far from the masterpiece I've seen some reviewers call it, but it can still stand on it's own feet. I think the game really needs a couple decent expansion packs (especially for that horrid fortress mini-game and a companion expansion) before it's potential can truly be reached.
It is saddening to see that even after 10 years there hasn't be a worthy usurper to the throne of the Dead Three Infinity Engine Trio and even more saddening to see how close PoE gets but ultimately fails to reach.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: April 03, 2015, 08:59:30 am »

All in all it's a good game, far from the masterpiece

I've spent like 10-12h on the game so far, but you are absolutely right. [I am going to restart with a new party after 1.03] It's a decent RPG [one of the best which have been released in the last years], but it's "not a BG II.", if you know what I mean...but again BG II. was a masterpiece, it's #2 on the list of my all time favourite RPGs. [ToEE with the CoE modpack is the #1.]

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: April 03, 2015, 09:26:41 am »

I completed it yesterday evening after 32 hours of play (and a separate 22 hour 'false start' that I used to get to grips with the classes, mechanics, etc).  I didn't take it slow, but I did do every side quest I could (well, until shortly into Act 3 when I stopped bothering)

Overall I'd agree with the common sentiment - it's a good game and I really enjoyed it, but it's definitely flawed and doesn't surpass the Baldur's Gate series (although I'm not sure how much nostalgia plays into that for me).

My somewhat jumbled thoughts on my experience:

I generally liked the implementation of the classes, although I would have liked to see a bit more in the way of class traits to pick at levelup and maybe a bit more impact from the generic traits as I didn't find there to be the big differences in how you built a class that they cited - I found it hard to really notice whether taking e.g. +10 Will made much difference and either way it's one of a bunch of pretty boring options.  More traits that give you new options or specializations please (to be honest I have this criticism of most crpgs, so it's maybe just me).  Somewhat related to that I'd have liked to see more 'per encounter' abilities, especially for Druid, Wizard and Priest to supplement their the traditional spellcasting limitations.

Both the Stronghold and the crafting system could really have done with being fleshed out a bit more.  You really don't get anything out of building up the Stronghold; indeed, you spend more on it than you gain, not that gold's an issue after the early game.  Meanwhile with the crafting I was really expecting to find new recipes out in the field and have a slightly wider range of stuff I could add to my gear with it.  I suppose it's tough to balance that so that finding items in the field isn't trivialised by what you can craft and vice versa, but I found the crafting as it was here to be pretty mediocre.

I generally enjoyed the companions personalities, although their quests were pretty lacklustre and as has been discussed there should have been more of them - at least one of each class.  I also found it a little jarring when they'd interject during a conversation and the NPC we were talking to wouldn't acknowledge what they'd said at all.  And while previous systems of party member attitudes were pretty crude, I found myself missing them somewhat here where they seemed largely oblivious to how you acted (including if they made a request or suggestion and you went the other way).

The story seemed mostly pretty standard and fairly predictable PC fantasy rpg fare, although I agree the big twist was fairly interesting.  But I agree on the choose-your-ending part, even moreso since my choice barely seemed to register in the post-game summaries;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

On the third chapter being lacking, for me a big part of that was I'd hit max level by then and had my gear about as good as it was going to get, which takes away a lot of the motivation to run further quests outside of the main story or to further explore areas along the way (oh, your expedition needs help against the Glanwossnames?  I really don't care at this point - doesn't sound terribly interesting and I don't need more gold and trinkets).

But yeah, despite my gripes it was still a very good game and I'll definitely be playing through again at least once.  I'd definitely recommend it to anyone that enjoyed the Infinity Engine games, just with the proviso that it's not going to be taking the crown.

Zireael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: April 03, 2015, 09:32:18 am »

Fie on you, gimli, you made me google CoE ToEE and now I'm lost to the world :P so many delicious d20 ideas...

pondicherry

• Bay Watcher
  • Too lazy to write something here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: April 03, 2015, 09:43:21 am »

Fie on you, gimli, you made me google CoE ToEE and now I'm lost to the world :P so many delicious d20 ideas...

Same here  :D
"Begin at the beginning and go on till you come to the end: then Stop."

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: April 03, 2015, 10:38:11 am »

Yeah, ToEE doesn't get as much love as it should. Amazing game, but the crashes. Anyone that's interested in the game beware, your game WILL crash and it will crash a lot which will sometimes corrupt your savegames.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: April 03, 2015, 10:58:39 am »

This talk of ToEE intrigues me, since I got that game when it came out, played it for about 4 hours before yet another game breaking crash made me forget it for good. It also felt absolutely indifferent to your choices, just another dungeon crawler etc. Is it truly worth coming back to?

I do agree with everyone: Pillars is no Baldur's gate, but in all honesty I think we do have our nostalgia glasses on.

Bg1 was a giant, unbalanced mess. You had to crawl over every area to find some key quests, which meant endless random encounters. Some areas had no quests (e.g. the gibberling area, until extended edition) Every encounter was deadly, everything one-shot your pc (especially caster pcs) for the first few levels. The first assassin at the inn was a level 4 wizard: he could insta-kill your party by casting horror and then casting magic missile at you once (twice if you are a fighting class).  The absolute only way to deal with him was to reload, sneak Imoen to backstab him/and/or attack him as soon as he is done talking. Metagaming was mandatory, not optional. Many encounters were similar (e.g. Silke fight=hit Silke constantly so she can't cast lightning bolt and kill us all)

This held until your clerics hit level 5 and gained the ability to summon skeletons and then every encounter was trivial, because you would just send a giant army of skellies along with a scout to kill anything. There were about 20 more companions than you would ever need (how many single-class thieves do you really ever need?) and most of them had very little to say/do: e.g. once you freed Branwen from being a stone statue, it isn't like there was a follow up quest: that was it!  Jaheira and Khaleid had no quest besides "go to Nashkel", same with Xzar and Montaron, etc. etc.

Bg2 tightened the encounters, made the npcs distinct and memorable and added inter-companion chatter than encouraged me to try new combinations. However, this depth occassionally lead to madness too: e.g. I remember reloading a playthrough to five hours before, because Keldorn and Viconia decided to fight to the death just into Spellhold. Naturally Keldorn and his +5 sword of brokenness won: yay for dealing with the Underdark without a cleric. Oh, and when Haer'dalis decided to duel me to the death because I was involved with Aerie, that was also poorly thought out.

It's other faults were more reliant on the flaws of Ad&D: e.g. strength being useless since Gauntlets of ogre power and belts of giant strength. Sooo many dumps stats (charisma lowers prices by increasing reputation, which has a cap, which you easily hit :P), if you aren't a cleric: wis 3 is not obstacle, if you want to cast wish later, just drink the potion of 18 wis first, if you aren't a wizard Int 3 is no obstacle and so on.

Let us not forget that both games let you roll your stats, meaning you could just devote an hour to clicking the reroll button and eventually arrive at godlike stats. let us also not forget, that being caught pickpocketing turned the entire universe hostile.

I think Pillars just shows off all the things that aged about BG1 in the intergrim period. If Pillars=BG 1 it is a solid effort and we should expect great things from pillars 2.

« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 11:08:11 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: April 03, 2015, 11:36:17 am »

There's this strange, irrational love affair that some people have with "indie" games. And the moment one shows some promise of being better than the 99% of garbage shovelware that saturates the indie game market, people hail it like the second coming. Especially if it was some Kickstarter success.

I did say a few pages back that the game has flaws but I got buried.

The same thing happened to Wasteland 2, Divinity Original Sin, Double Fine's stuff, and Planetary Annihilation.

I bet you the exact same thing will happen to Torment Tides of Whateverera and Star Citizen.

--

Edit:

That being said, I still think it's okay. Not the best but okay. If I were to compare it to other Obsidian / Black Isle games, I think it's the worst out of all of them though.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: April 03, 2015, 11:42:43 am »

I wouldn't call Pillars of Eternity an indie game since it was developed by an experienced studio which has developed a number of high profile games while being backed by a publisher.

If this game receives any undue praise it will be because it was the first big title of what was believed to be a dead genre.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: April 03, 2015, 11:46:17 am »

Hence the quotes.

How is RPG a dead genre? There's so frigging many on everything from mobile to console to PC. It's one of the staples of gaming like puzzle games and platformers. I even mentioned Wasteland 2 and Divinity Original Sin that came out fairly recently. This isn't some shit like Simcity.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: April 03, 2015, 11:49:23 am »

RPG as a whole isn't, but party-based ones along the lines of BG or whatev' have definitely been in a slump for a while now, I'd say.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 21