Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21

Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 50567 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #180 on: March 31, 2015, 11:42:03 am »

And also Montaron, Skie and Tiax (also Shar-Teel, who is often dual-classed into Thief). Out of 25 characters 7 are Thieves. I believe, off the top of my head, that the only class with better representation is Fighters.
Love, scriver~

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 31, 2015, 11:46:29 am »

Tiax, Montaron, Skie. Xzar, Shar-Teel and Branwen (with tome of dex) can be dualed into thieves. That's a potential of ten (eleven with Charname) thieves to choose from.

EDIT: Ninja'd

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 31, 2015, 12:14:19 pm »

Baldur's Gate's companions were barely 2D paper cutout characters. It was possible to have so many companions because of how shallow they were.
Why do you say such mean things about Boo!?
Whilst some may not have been *that* deep, they were all at least moderately interesting and there were a lot to choose from so you could pick the ones that most interested you. Whilst I get that Pillars does a sort of half BG half IWD approach (which I LOVE) I do feel they could have added a few more characters - at least one from each class.

As it is, you either have to sacrifice some story if you want to create a very well rounded party (unless you started as a rogue perhaps). It's not the end of the world, but part of the re-playability of BG was that you could use a whole different set of characters with different stories and personalities, whereas I'll use pretty much all of the characters in one play-through here.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 31, 2015, 02:45:22 pm »

And then BG2 gave you one thief, and killed him. So at least PoE continues that tradition. (the other three don't count, Jan's a freakin' gnome, come on.) Also, Safana was super important in BG1, as she guarded the tome of constitution, which was an important first stop on any mixmaxing journey.

I think PoE should have had at least 10 companions though, so you could make two fully different parties.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 31, 2015, 02:52:33 pm »

And then BG2 gave you one thief, and killed him. So at least PoE continues that tradition. (the other three don't count, Jan's a freakin' gnome, come on.) Also, Safana was super important in BG1, as she guarded the tome of constitution, which was an important first stop on any mixmaxing journey.

I think PoE should have had at least 10 companions though, so you could make two fully different parties.

Why doesn't a gnome count?  Jan was also a full caster and there was no obligation to kill Yoshimo (I often just left him behind on the way to Spellhold, the million xp you get for his heart is not the best reward for Yoshimo's trap field of brokenness.) You could also easily ignore Safana and still get the tome of Con, she wasn't intrinsic to that quest at all.

I think the choice to omit thieves here was explicitly tied to the swarms of thieves in BG and BG2.

But yeah, I do feel the characters are a bit weak, I like the personalities of the fighter and the ranger, but neither of them has had a very deep story yet (I'm in chapter 2): the ranger's quest doesn't make any sense
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and is written as if I am much further into the game than I am (she keeps referring to some villain i am apparently pursuing), while the fighter's story is stalled by the reputation gain necessary to proceed, so he is just chilling with me not saying anything.  Kana is super likeable and his story actually progressed when I followed his plot, but now it has stalled again, and I cannot get it moving by talking to him.  Durance is the one with the most conversations, and they are fairly interesting, but the fact that I need to be perpetually traveling with him is a little grating since sometimes I want to play with the druid instead (not that he has had anything meaningful to say besides random gross-out humor, which is fine, if kinda cliche for halfling/kender/etc archetypes).

Finally the mage, Aloth. He is OK as a support mage and he has that whole double personality thing going, but really?  Everytime he wants to talk (the text bubble pop up), absolutely nothing is said. We make small talk, like he is the mailman and I am too polite to acknowledge that he has an obvious second soul in there with him.

I really miss the way companion conversations worked in Planescape torment, where it felt that the conversation trees would suddenly twist in a new direction and open up new possibilities, only on the basis of your (highly malleable) stats, opening new depths to the relationship with the npc and even new spells and powers. PoE seems more influenced by the gradual unfolding of a character narrative along with the main plot, like Neverwinter Nights 2.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 03:29:42 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 31, 2015, 03:31:26 pm »

Why doesn't a gnome count?  Jan was also a full caster and there was no obligation to kill Yoshimo (I often just left him behind on the way to Spellhold, the million xp you get for his heart is not the best reward for Yoshimo's trap field of brokenness.)

Pretty sure Yoshimo is supposed to self-destruct if you go back to find him after Spellhold, unless you exploit a bug.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 31, 2015, 03:31:59 pm »

Why doesn't a gnome count?  Jan was also a full caster and there was no obligation to kill Yoshimo (I often just left him behind on the way to Spellhold, the million xp you get for his heart is not the best reward for Yoshimo's trap field of brokenness.) You could also easily ignore Safana and still get the tome of Con, she wasn't intrinsic to that quest at all.

Just a joke, I guess. I find gnomes to be rather annoying. Safana isn't necessary, but she comes with a potion of invisibility for free and you can ditch her immediately afterwards if you want... it's the cheapest/easiest way to get the book at level one.
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 31, 2015, 04:55:13 pm »

Why doesn't a gnome count?  Jan was also a full caster and there was no obligation to kill Yoshimo (I often just left him behind on the way to Spellhold, the million xp you get for his heart is not the best reward for Yoshimo's trap field of brokenness.)

Pretty sure Yoshimo is supposed to self-destruct if you go back to find him after Spellhold, unless you exploit a bug.
In the post-patch version, Yoshimo dies even if you try to leave him behind (although it *is* possible to save him via exploit).
In the pre-patch version you can keep him if you simply don't bring him into spellhold with you.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 31, 2015, 05:24:56 pm »

In the post-patch version, Yoshimo dies even if you try to leave him behind (although it *is* possible to save him via exploit).
In the pre-patch version you can keep him if you simply don't bring him into spellhold with you.

In either case, his survival was a developer oversight.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 31, 2015, 05:53:06 pm »

In either case, his survival was a developer oversight.

Huh, I had no idea.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 01, 2015, 08:36:12 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 31, 2015, 07:36:45 pm »

It wasn't the Geas spell according to the AD&D books, it would seem, it was some sort of powerful custom curse by Irenicus. There's also no reason why his heart would end up corrupted or whatever after he died, that you needed to cleanse, that's also not part of official Geas. Who knows? It was Plot Geas.

EDIT: Kinda like how "they" stripped Irenicus from his... elfness? Which makes no sense whatsoever and isn't covered by any D&D rule that I know, other than a polymorph :P Just a made up plot magic ritual.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 08:10:03 pm by Sergius »

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 31, 2015, 09:46:26 pm »

Spoiler: BG @2spoilers (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 11:35:04 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 31, 2015, 11:10:44 pm »

The game might be fifteen years old but those are still pretty massive spoilers. It's also steered the thread pretty far off topic. Let's go back to talking about how all the characters are crappy except Based Kana.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 31, 2015, 11:34:01 pm »

Yeah, you're right, I'll throw a spoiler around my previous post.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 31, 2015, 11:56:12 pm »

The game might be fifteen years old but those are still pretty massive spoilers. It's also steered the thread pretty far off topic. Let's go back to talking about how all the characters are crappy except Based Kana.
If you told me out of all the characters in an RPG I'd like, I'd like the bard-equivalent dude who's too enthusiastic about everything, I would never have believed you.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 21