Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21

Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 50602 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #105 on: March 29, 2015, 07:06:15 pm »

It's not something that is in your face or anything. Just something you run into if you tried reading backer submitted stuff, of which it just occupies hard drive bytes. As far as the controversial poem goes, apparently Obsidian had a meeting with the backer and all more or less agreed to remove it so I feel Morrigi is more or less trying to stir up a hornets nest.
The reason I posted it was mainly the ridiculous irony behind the whole thing. One of the people who started the whole thing, claiming offense, has repeatedly called for genocide herself. She's clearly insane, and yet is being taken seriously.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:13:08 pm by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: March 29, 2015, 07:24:34 pm »

It's not something that is in your face or anything. Just something you run into if you tried reading backer submitted stuff, of which it just occupies hard drive bytes. As far as the controversial poem goes, apparently Obsidian had a meeting with the backer and all more or less agreed to remove it so I feel Morrigi is more or less trying to stir up a hornets nest.
The reason I posted it was mainly the ridiculous irony behind the whole thing. One of the people who started the whole thing, claiming offense, has repeatedly called for genocide herself. She's clearly insane, and yet is being taken seriously.

#killallmen is a twitter joke, not a literal call to genocide. No one is really planning to genocide all men, or could, or would really want to. Are you being facetious or is this one of those moments when we have to sit you down and say "Yes, Morrigi, people aren't always completely earnest on the internet"? It is far more insane to treat #killallmen as a call to violence than it is to tweet to it.

Also ninja'd by Cheetar with a reasonable point: even if she is a bad person (which I gravely doubt), how does that make her wrong?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:32:48 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: March 29, 2015, 07:25:25 pm »

Do try to be nice about people, Morrigi. I don't see where they've called for genocide, nor how that would invalidate her complaints about the transphobia in the poem thing.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: March 29, 2015, 07:44:30 pm »

#killallmen is a twitter joke, not a literal call to genocide. No one is really planning to genocide all men, or could, or would really want to. Are you being facetious or is this one of those moments when we have to sit you down and say "Yes, Morrigi, people aren't always completely earnest on the internet"? It is far more insane to treat #killallmen as a call to violence than it is to tweet to it.

Also ninja'd by Cheetar with a reasonable point: even if she is a bad person (which I gravely doubt), how does that make her wrong?
First of all, if someone with a significant number of followers posted #killallwomen or #killalljews it would invariably start a shitstorm. Racism is racism, bigotry is bigotry, full stop. Secondly, the poem in question makes the guy who jumped off the cliff sound like an oversensitive drama queen, for comedic effect. How is that transphobic? It's lampooning him, not the transsexual.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: March 29, 2015, 07:49:06 pm »

First of all, if someone with a significant number of followers posted #killallwomen or #killalljews it would invariably start a shitstorm. Racism is racism, bigotry is bigotry, full stop. Secondly, the poem in question makes the guy who jumped off the cliff sound like an oversensitive drama queen, for comedic effect. How is that transphobic? It's lampooning him, not the transsexual.

First of all, that is because someone did try to kill all Jews and because violence against women, for the crime of being women, is really, really common. On the other hand, men control the police, the military and most of the government, so there is absolutely zero chance of a violent feminazi uprising sweeping it all away. It. Is. A. Joke.  Because it can never happen. Get it?  This makes it a fun twitter fantasy?  Get it? 

Now all that shite about "reverse racism": The Pillars of Eternity thread is not for discussing the oppression of cis straight white males by all the evil SJWs.  The joke is clearly not at the expense of the guy who kills himself, and if it was it'd be a joke about suicide, how classy!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:55:07 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: March 29, 2015, 07:53:17 pm »

C'mon folks, take it to PMs or something. This ain't the place.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: March 29, 2015, 08:17:53 pm »

Alright, let's just all agree that most of the backer content comes from shitty people who enjoy being offensive. Saying the game is bad because of it is saying a mural is bad because it has some offensive graffiti on it. As far as I can tell, all the content from Obsidian is pretty good. I hope at some point they maybe come out with an optional patch to remove that backer content from the game, but as it stands, I really think it's a decent game.

Not great, but at least they tried, right?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: March 29, 2015, 09:04:15 pm »

Alright, let's just all agree that most of the backer content comes from shitty people who enjoy being offensive. Saying the game is bad because of it is saying a mural is bad because it has some offensive graffiti on it. As far as I can tell, all the content from Obsidian is pretty good. I hope at some point they maybe come out with an optional patch to remove that backer content from the game, but as it stands, I really think it's a decent game.

Not great, but at least they tried, right?

I'll heartily agree there

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: March 29, 2015, 09:56:44 pm »

I don't understand why they have the "backer NPCs" standing around town doing nothing and causing clutter. The whole gimmick of a Watcher is being able to see dead and lingering souls. Why not make all of the backer NPCs ghosts that you can interact with. That would be a far better in-universe justification for their inclusion.

I also find the whole drama ridiculous. We're talking about a middle-ages level culture which is shown to be as primitive as to string basically a whole village up on a tree if a baby is born deformed. Even if the backer quote was transphobic, which I'm not completely convinced it is, it fits into the fictitious culture the narrative has created.
I don't see how creating a bigoted culture or character means that the narrative itself is bigoted, it comes back to context like everything else in life.

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: March 29, 2015, 10:04:58 pm »

Nobody is arguing that the game is transphobic because of it, just that the particular poem is transphobic. Nobody is going to take your games away :P
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: March 29, 2015, 10:24:02 pm »

Nobody is going to take your games away :P
Is it bad that I imagined you talking to a senile old person when you said that?

"It's OK, grandpa. There aren't any GamerGate people here. Nobody's going to take your games away. Put down the spork, grandpa."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: March 29, 2015, 10:49:06 pm »

Shades are so damn annoying. They just teleport past your meat shields and destroy your squishies and/or attack them with their stupid ranged attacks. Can't crowd control if my mage dies basically straight away.

The solution to that problem is ambush. Shades are vulnerable to fire, so just wait behind a doorway with your squishies and then blast them with a firespell right as they walk through.

Another solution is to not tie down all your meat shields, so they can engage anyone who tries that stunt. Or, you know, make your squishies less squishy.

My solution to this was, when you see a group of shades don't put the squishies in the formation. Let them wait and move your meatshields forward. When shades teleport, they'll teleport to the meatshields in the rear, and your squishies will still be a couple meters behind.

I did this after my mage kept getting killed 100% of the times after multiple reloads and they left him alone.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: March 29, 2015, 10:57:37 pm »

I don't understand why they have the "backer NPCs" standing around town doing nothing and causing clutter. The whole gimmick of a Watcher is being able to see dead and lingering souls. Why not make all of the backer NPCs ghosts that you can interact with. That would be a far better in-universe justification for their inclusion.

I also find the whole drama ridiculous. We're talking about a middle-ages level culture which is shown to be as primitive as to string basically a whole village up on a tree if a baby is born deformed. Even if the backer quote was transphobic, which I'm not completely convinced it is, it fits into the fictitious culture the narrative has created.
I don't see how creating a bigoted culture or character means that the narrative itself is bigoted, it comes back to context like everything else in life.
I've read that the backer clutter can be murdered without consequence.  If you really don't like em.  Some have mentioned that you need to do it out of sight of the villagers, so save before genocide.

Apparently there is a TotalBiscuit thing talking about that poem.  I agree, it would fit in a middle-age level culture.  >.>  Heck, it still would fit in the modern age... many cultures still are not that accepting of it, despite the sjw browbeating you see.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: March 29, 2015, 11:12:49 pm »

I read the limerick. It could be interpreted as a man lying with a transgender (which would be odd in a world without gender changing surgery?). Or it could be another who was dressed as a woman. Or maybe one of them was gay and the other one was too drunk and got taken advantage of. Or maybe they both were so passed out they ended in bed together.

What boggles the mind is that the less likely (trans? in the middle ages? well, I suppose with sex-changing magic girdles it could be possible, but a bit far-fetched) situation and decided it was the intended one...

Also, I read one of those random Standing People with Readable Souls that others complained about, about the lesbians. It was probably written by a lesbian, and the "punchline" (not sure if it's appropriate to call it that) is that the angry man threw fruit at them for being "damn Wizards", not lesbians.

I haven't read all the "rape fantasy" dialogue but all in all, I don't think those spam-mannequins add anything to the game, or at least should have been vetted better. Still, the outrage about these two specific instances seems to be just being angry for the sake of being angry.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: March 29, 2015, 11:25:59 pm »

My solution to this was, when you see a group of shades don't put the squishies in the formation. Let them wait and move your meatshields forward. When shades teleport, they'll teleport to the meatshields in the rear, and your squishies will still be a couple meters behind.

I did this after my mage kept getting killed 100% of the times after multiple reloads and they left him alone.
I figured this out in the first couple dungeons but my major issue is some of the scripted encounters that drop shades on your party in an enclosed room where you can't strategically place your characters. A perfect example is the lighthouse encounter. I ended up dropping the mage though anyway in place of the cipher, the mage just wasn't doing enough and was made of tissue paper.

Also speaking of the cipher can someone please get the voice actress who plays the Grieving Woman a pop-shield. The way she hisses the S's actually hurts my ears. The voices of all the female seem to be much worse than the males sadly, the Paladin's pseudo-romantic-melting-pot accent is extremely grating.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 21