Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21

Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 50626 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #90 on: March 29, 2015, 06:07:41 pm »

Same here, I didn't even look at them after I glanced through the first one. They seem silly and utterly unimportant. Who the fuck cares?

I'm supposed to ignore content?  They are bad and the devs should feel bad. Letting the idiots of the internet decide what goes into a game after all the scum that surfaced this year is very misguided.
Ignore content if you don't like it, yes. Nobody is forcing you to read through them after all. You know now that they are badly written crap tossed in by the internet backers, so why would you waste time looking at them?

Why are they there at all?
Honestly? Because it was a cheap easy-to-fulfill backer promise that got more cash donated so they could make the actual game.

It was ill-conceived then, and it should have come with editors from the writing staff that went" Oh, this one is a misogynistic rape fantasy, better not put that in our game", "oh, this joke is just really about hating transpeople, let's keep it out" .

You know, doing the work that editors do.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #91 on: March 29, 2015, 06:08:39 pm »

It was ill-conceived then, and it should have come with editors from the writing staff that went" Oh, this one is a misogynistic rape fantasy", it is not going in. You know, like editors do.
I don't think anyone here is saying that it was a good idea. All I am saying is that its very easily ignored. Don't click it. Bam, you have solved the problem.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2015, 06:09:34 pm »

It was ill-conceived then, and it should have come with editors from the writing staff that went" Oh, this one is a misogynistic rape fantasy", it is not going in. You know, like editors do.
I don't think anyone here is saying that it was a good idea. All I am saying is that its very easily ignored. Don't click it. Bam, you have solved the problem.

You know what else would solve the problem?  Obsidian reading their own shit before adding it to a game they are selling for money with their name on it and their reputation on the line.

The "just ignore it" argument is pretty silly. If an otherwise lovely book had random asides about the evil Jews, we wouldn't tell people to just skip over them, if an otherwise positive movie kept going on and on about how women are all liars, we wouldn't just tell people to fast forward, why does a game get a get out jail free card here?

If it is art, it is up for critical thinking, if not, it is not worth talking about.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:14:59 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 29, 2015, 06:10:26 pm »

This whole complaining about content thing: *Shrug*

Plus, TL;DR for most of it.  No gameplay benefit from what I understand of it...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #94 on: March 29, 2015, 06:11:38 pm »

You know what else would solve the problem?  Obsidian reading their own shit before adding it to a game they are selling for money with their name on it and their reputation on the line.
I'm getting the feeling that you just enjoy complaining. You can write a letter to them if that will make you feel better about it.

In the end it really doesn't matter to me, because I will never see the horrible things you are complaining about.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 29, 2015, 06:13:36 pm »

I'm getting the feeling that you just enjoy complaining. You can write a letter to them if that will make you feel better about it.

In the end it really doesn't matter to me, because I will never see the horrible things you are complaining about.

Well I started this whole thread because I was excited about a game I wanted to play, so I am probably more let down than into criticizing it.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #96 on: March 29, 2015, 06:16:25 pm »

Well I started this whole thread because I was excited about a game I wanted to play, so I am probably more let down than into criticizing it.
This game is gorgeous and the writing is fantastic so far. Don't let some silly backer shit get you down. Play the actual game and enjoy it.

Sartain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 29, 2015, 06:19:56 pm »

I guess all the horrible backer-fic must be in Defiance Bay and beyond because so far it's seemed rather unobtrusive and forgettable. Maybe it's just that I'm skimming some of the next rather than reading it thoroughly although I'd think I'd have noticed fetish-fiction so horrible as the internet is making it out to be...

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 29, 2015, 06:20:29 pm »

I'm on your side about the content. I wish it wasn't there. But statements like this are why politically correct people are criticized by gamers. You're like "Man, I love this game, the mechanics are great, most of the characters are well written, and it's overall much improved from the previous game. On the other hand, there's a 500 word poem with no connection to the story that is offensive, so I'm let down by the game."

This is especially problematic given the people responsible for the game weren't responsible for that content. I agree, and I bet the people at Obsidian do too, that in the future they'll probably need a clause about what sort of content can make it in, but in the meantime I'm going to enjoy a fantastic game.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 29, 2015, 06:20:41 pm »

This game is gorgeous and the writing is fantastic so far. Don't let some silly backer shit get you down. Play the actual game and enjoy it.

I am, it is just disappointing. I read every damn word I could find in both Torment and the BG series, because it was all good.

I guess, if I was to put in words what exactly bothers me so, it is the MMO feeling of it.  I play single player games because multiplayer games are full of terrible people saying awful things, and to find that those terrible people got to write content into my single player experience is more than a little disturbing.  It also kinda breaks immersal.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 06:26:49 pm by thegoatgod_pan »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 29, 2015, 06:26:25 pm »

So there was almost nothing but praises about the game the first 5 pages, and now all the skeletons are being pointed out?
If there is ever an opportunity for a large group to say something, someone will be offensive just so they can stand out from the others. There will also be someone to say it just to get a kick out of the reaction. Then there is others who will cherry pick the worst that is said and parade it around.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 29, 2015, 06:32:15 pm »

It's not something that is in your face or anything. Just something you run into if you tried reading backer submitted stuff, of which it just occupies hard drive bytes. As far as the controversial poem goes, apparently Obsidian had a meeting with the backer and all more or less agreed to remove it so I feel Morrigi is more or less trying to stir up a hornets nest.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 29, 2015, 06:36:45 pm »

It's not something that is in your face or anything. Just something you run into if you tried reading backer submitted stuff, of which it just occupies hard drive bytes. As far as the controversial poem goes, apparently Obsidian had a meeting with the backer and all more or less agreed to remove it so I feel Morrigi is more or less trying to stir up a hornets nest.
I suppose, even if the backer stories were any good, it is still a design flaw to have a bunch of random characters standing around, not talking, not participating in the world, but just containing these static bursts of logorrhea.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 29, 2015, 06:40:44 pm »

I have quite a lot of nitpicks about the game but they're not particularly major.

Stuff like:

1. The companions I've met so far tend to be on the side of boring. I like the chanter and the priest. The others are pretty forgettable. I wish I could bring my castle's talking throne around.
2. The voice acting sucks. Thankfully there isn't much of it.
3. I don't really like the combat but it's not the worst thing in the world. I can easily bear with it for the sake of the game.
4. The bugs really piss me off. I'm going to have to wait for the patches to fix them before I can continue my adventure due to my character being completely fucked.
5. I don't like how left mouse button issues a move order...
6. I don't like how much friendly fire the mage spells have.
7. I wish your companions had some AI so they would use their skills on their own. It's annoying having to micromanage everyone.
8. Pathing can get weird, especially in combat.
9. I don't like how difficult it is to see when you're behind something like a tree or a building.
10. I think in total I've only read two of the in-game books. The rest read like textbooks.
11. The backer stuff is immersion-breaking. I hope a mod comes out that removes the random twats standing around.
12. Why can I only put down one trap at a time?
13. I wish the speed up time function could go faster.
14. I wish there were more appearance customization options.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 29, 2015, 06:52:32 pm »

I suppose, even if the backer stories were any good, it is still a design flaw to have a bunch of random characters standing around, not talking, not participating in the world, but just containing these static bursts of logorrhea.
Annoying? Yeah, but they occupy no real design space with no bearing on the world. From a practical point of view, the funding for the game needed to come from somewhere. Better to sell off what amounts to log space that doesn't need to be read rather than sell of the rights to a property or the keys to your studio.

Always saw it as a "hey guys, look at this" kinda thing for the backers anyway. You got to point out your stuff in game to friends and family. All in all, harmless to the design of the game, but it should give you a reason to think twice about those kind of reward offers.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 21