Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21

Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 50624 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2015, 01:35:44 pm »

The companions get better: I love the dwarf ranger with her snow fox, and the druid is neat, if irritating (not as irritating as the dwarf: he is officially stronghold keeper for me)
Male dwarf? You only get one dwarf which is the female one, Sagani.

Don't be hasty with your judgement. I hated Durance at first, but by the end of the game he was probably my favourite character, weird because I still didn't like his personality. Also, I found out at the end of the game that not interacting enough with certain companions guarantees you a bad ending with them  :-[
  My mistake: Short bearded, angry humans are easily confused for dwarves in a fantasy setting.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2015, 03:53:55 pm »

Aha, there's an Urist NPC in front of the Ducal Palace in Defiance Bay. :D
Spoiler: Urist (click to show/hide)
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

XavierIII

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2015, 06:19:54 pm »

I'd say they really need to offload the main combat effectiveness factors from attributes to feats (this game does have feats, right?). Skill should matter much more than just pure physical/mental power.
No feats, more of feat-likes that you choose one of when you level up: e.g. better rage or a 3/per encounter movement buff with immunity to disengage for barbarians. or for cyphers: boost to focus drain on hits or increase in damage.
There are feats, you get them every even level. It just shows only the class specific ones by default.Class talents come on odd levels.
I hope this helps!

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2015, 06:52:27 pm »

I played a bit but haven't gotten back to it just yet. Was confusion bugged for anyone else?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
cast it. It turns my party members hostile but they just turn around and stand in place, doing nothing. Makes me think they're supposed to get some AI to attack on their own, but it's missing.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2015, 07:28:10 pm »

No, confusion usually doesn't make them attack your party members. Charm does that. Also, wizards are gorram useless since pretty much every useful single spell has friendly fire and of course you're totally going to put the squishy caster in the front line.
I also am at a point where my 4 party members and I cant kill 3 crappy guards at once, for some reason. I'm only playing on the second difficulty up. What's the deal?

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2015, 07:35:36 pm »

I just torch my meat shields. They're meat shields, who cares if they're well done?

Edit: I found a cat in a box with a room full of zombies. That seems pretty reasonable to me. We're pals now, nya~
« Last Edit: March 28, 2015, 10:12:04 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2015, 10:48:45 pm »

I just made the mage a frontline tank with a bunch of status spells. I also made the priest a frontline tank.

Works pretty well.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2015, 06:51:29 am »

Shades are so damn annoying. They just teleport past your meat shields and destroy your squishies and/or attack them with their stupid ranged attacks. Can't crowd control if my mage dies basically straight away.

sebcool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2015, 07:03:06 am »

Shades are so damn annoying. They just teleport past your meat shields and destroy your squishies and/or attack them with their stupid ranged attacks. Can't crowd control if my mage dies basically straight away.

The solution to that problem is ambush. Shades are vulnerable to fire, so just wait behind a doorway with your squishies and then blast them with a firespell right as they walk through.

Another solution is to not tie down all your meat shields, so they can engage anyone who tries that stunt. Or, you know, make your squishies less squishy.
Derailing doesn't exist, derailed is the natural state of every thread.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2015, 07:08:34 am »

There's been a few scripted scenes where shades have spawned right on top of my party, rushed my mage and killed him instantly. I wasn't aware that they were weak to fire though so that might help.

Baijiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 29, 2015, 07:44:47 am »

No, confusion usually doesn't make them attack your party members. Charm does that. Also, wizards are gorram useless since pretty much every useful single spell has friendly fire and of course you're totally going to put the squishy caster in the front line.
I also am at a point where my 4 party members and I cant kill 3 crappy guards at once, for some reason. I'm only playing on the second difficulty up. What's the deal?
It helps to remember that only the red part of wizard spells will do friendly fire damage, the grey part will pass through party members. if you back up, you can use the burning hands-type spell against your front-line without hurting party members.

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 29, 2015, 09:22:47 am »

I find the friendly fire/cone effect spells awful in this and just don't use them as everyone CONSTANTLY walks into it.

Whilst I do like the combat, and it feels polished, it does involve a lot of moving around and I find that I'm constantly missing with spells just because characters are moving so much. What that basically ends up meaning is that I have to wait until my front line have all engaged stuff sufficiently before I shoot off any spells. It's not a problem so much as something that I just haven't really had a problem with before in a game.

I also agree with the stats thing - whilst I first thought it was a refreshing take on minmaxing, it's basically turned into everyone having the same stats.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 29, 2015, 11:48:41 am »

I find the friendly fire/cone effect spells awful in this and just don't use them as everyone CONSTANTLY walks into it.

It requires some additional party related MM [positioning], but it's manageable. It's a tad harder, when you have a squishy, melee oriented party, but again, who plays this game without a main tank and an off tank?..and as always, CC is a powerful tool, especially in the early phases of the battles. 2 tanks and CC'ed enemies = AoE paradise! :)

Even tho, now that I think about it...I am going to test some weird party combinations later on for sure. 8)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 11:55:37 am by gimli »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2015, 12:32:00 pm »

It requires some additional party related MM [positioning], but it's manageable. It's a tad harder, when you have a squishy, melee oriented party, but again, who plays this game without a main tank and an off tank?..and as always, CC is a powerful tool, especially in the early phases of the battles. 2 tanks and CC'ed enemies = AoE paradise! :)
Even tho, now that I think about it...I am going to test some weird party combinations later on for sure. 8)

I think it's just how much movement there is in combat - mainly due to so many of the spells/skills being about control, it often ends up with characters or enemies running away or not being where you think they're going to be, leading to a lot of missed spells or friendly fire - I'm not sure why it should be more so in this game than others, but I never really had that problem before.
It's not a big problem, it just means that I'm a bit more hemmed into a playstyle than I'd like to be.

On a separate note, I do like the characters in this - whilst they're a bit bland in comparison to Baldur's Gate/2, they're at least all likeable enough for you not to groan each time they start talking. I had hoped for slightly more than 8 however, as BG had 25 and BG2 had 17. It sounds a bit picky - but I guess it's just that I had expected some really interesting ones/.
I do ove the fact that you can hire an adventurer at any time to fill out a spot that you're missing though - it's a simple but great way to fill the age old problem of getting stuck with a very un-rounded party or being forced to take along someone you hate.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: March 29, 2015, 01:45:26 pm »

Also, wizards are gorram useless since pretty much every useful single spell has friendly fire and of course you're totally going to put the squishy caster in the front line.

Flank.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 21