Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21

Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 50631 times)

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pillars of Eternity
« on: March 25, 2015, 11:34:25 pm »

New epic fantasy role playing game by Obsidian (https://eternity.obsidian.net/), with roots in the glory days of Baldur's gate, lovely art, interesting takes on tried and true classes, races and mechanics.

The system seems much like Dnd, but a little if not a lot better : e.g. strength boosts all damage,  axe and spell, int increases AoE and duration, for everything, same idea for all stats, making all kinds of weird builds theoretically possible and effective.

For instance: you can be a smart, weak barbarian with massive area-of-attack swings, or a tough, musclar but dumb wizard with killer single target damage spells.

Notes on designing your character
The game lets you make any character you want to join your party, however, if you intend to run with the official crew, it may be valuable to know that neither Rogues, nor Barbarians, nor Monks are in the official character roster, making them pretty good choices for a PC. That said, Ciphers are incredibly fun.

When choosing attributes there are really only two rules:

1. Con is absolutely useless, set it to 3, you will not regret it. If you want to make a tank or play a monk set it 6, you will still not regret it.  Any  higher is a waste of points. This is both because health breaks up into endurance which regenerates after combats and health, which regenerates after resting, so you never really run low on hp: just run out during a combat. Also the malus gained from 3 Con really translate to about 30% less hp by the end of the game. In exchange you get to do two of the following: 30% more damage (max STR) in a 50% larger area (Max Int) and/or 30% faster (High Dex). Not an even trade, not even close.  CON is the DUMP STAT

2. Might and Int are amazing, max them. Every character needs a high Might. Rogues and other single target damage focused characters don't need INT, but everyone who has an ability with a duration or AoE needs INT

Everything else is optional. Resolve has a lot of conversation options.

rave rps non-review http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/pillars-of-eternity/ suggests it is great.

Manual here (it is obsolete)

Just bought it/can't wait

Discuss!
« Last Edit: March 29, 2015, 07:23:28 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2015, 11:46:16 pm »

I know 11 hours isn't very long compared to the two and a half years I've been waiting for this, but it sure feels about the same right now.

It looks perfect, I can only hope the gameplay is as good.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:53:09 pm by Kanil »
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 12:04:58 am »

Definitely have heard good things from beta-test folks, if nothing else. Biggest potential downside I've seen mention is that the engine it uses is apparently not the most optimization friendly, or something along those lines. Pretty heavy system burden for what it is, or so folks seem to have been saying.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 12:42:50 am »

I know 11 hours isn't very long compared to the two and a half years I've been waiting for this, but it sure feels about the same right now.

It looks perfect, I can only hope the gameplay is as good.

Ah, but what sort of evil tease company declares a release date without specifying that they don't mean "at the stroke of Midnight that day"?

Who will have a care for all those nightowls who were going to stay up and play it?

Noon?  Honestly, who releases anything at noon?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 12:51:31 am by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 01:12:32 am »

People who are 12 hours offset from your timezone.
Ask not!
Ask!

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2015, 01:45:32 am »

I had it in my head that this was releasing on the 27th, so whatever time it actually releases on the 26th is a bonus for me (and it looks like it's releasing right about the time I get home from work, so even better).

I've really been looking forward to this one - Baldur's Gate 2 is one of my favourite games of all time.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2015, 07:04:20 am »

I thought we already had a topic for this game. I did find it, and one of the last posts of this other topic is quite funny, especially today:
[...]
I'm afraid it won't be me, i'm not quite ready to shell out as much for a single game that's vaporware currently.

Damn, still 5 hours to wait. :(
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2015, 07:10:37 am »

Dammit, it is releasing already? I still haven't finished Witcher II and Witcher III is in the near horizon and and and and.... I wonder if I could get a week free from work citing the need to clear backlog of games, hmmm.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2015, 08:15:57 am »

One of the few games, which I decided to buy in this year.  8) 3 hours to go!

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2015, 10:36:33 am »

Graphics look nice. Being an obsidian game I'll probably give it a year or two for patches and/or fanpatches to come out before I give it a spin  ;)

silverskull39

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 11:15:31 am »

looks interesting. I'll wait and see some reviews, lets plays, etc. before I buy
Dwarf fortress threads can sound so.... unethical
it would be unethical if this wasn't the bay12 forums
Bay12: A short, sturdy forum fond of !!science!! and derailment.
Now back to your regularly scheduled thread derailment.

Digital Hellhound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 11:16:21 am »

I hadn't checked the release date before, but I'll be damned, this seems to be coming out on my birthday. Anyone wanna give me a surprise birthday present?  :D
Russia is simply taking an anti-Fascist stance against European Nazi products, they should be applauded. ˇNo parmesan!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2015, 11:21:37 am »

looks interesting. I'll wait and see some reviews, lets plays, etc. before I buy
There's already some early LPs up and running, for what that's worth. I've seen something like six or seven at a minimum, I think, that cover at least the first few areas already.
Ask not!
Ask!

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2015, 12:01:24 pm »

._.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 21