Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Monster Hunter RTD/Roleplay  (Read 2302 times)

The Froggy Ninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Crying on the floor due to losing my entire hoard.
    • View Profile
Re: Monster Hunter RTD/Roleplay
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2015, 09:34:59 pm »

Finding broken combos is the best part! My weapon of choice is the khopesh.

MrVoid

• Bay Watcher
  • Leaning on Lady Luck
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2015, 09:42:06 pm »

5 lacks the complication and undying desire to never change.
Eh, it's in taste, but the fact 3.5 has shit tonnes of content over 5th edition is also a plus. More rules, more content, more shit to play, more pure amount of stuff to add as flavor to your own campaign. Also lot's of feat fun is included. But 3.5e also has it's worst bits like any other system (Namely unbalanced stuff across the board).
This, mine was mostly a joke.
What the fuck is wrong with you guys.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2015, 02:37:06 am »

Basic rules idea (not final or anything, just up for criticism and editing) :
D100 for skill rolls (other dice might be used in certain situations)
The six D&D stats: Str, Con, Wis, Dex, Int, Cha
Each has two main effects. I don't know whether to just ditch INT WIS CHA or to make them for any social encounters.
Weapons and armour are the biggest factor in lieu of traditional levelling, so the stats are less important than some games. Weapons have stats (Damage, Impact, Bulk etc)  as do armours (defense, Bulk,  etc.) as well as any special abilities
Will elaborate later
Give thoughts please
thincake

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2015, 02:47:24 am »

Well, INT is generally used for spells, but I'm not sure whether or not those are a thing in Monster Hunter...
I'd say CHA should be kept for social encounters, anyway. Bartering, maybe?
Also, as this is an RTD/RP, maybe use INT and WIS for knowledge checks and such.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2015, 02:50:31 am »

Well, INT is generally used for spells, but I'm not sure whether or not those are a thing in Monster Hunter...
I'd say CHA should be kept for social encounters, anyway. Bartering, maybe?
Also, as this is an RTD/RP, maybe use INT and WIS for knowledge checks and such.
This, but just get rid of WIS.
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2015, 02:51:58 am »

WIS is normally lore, though. Get rid of INT?
thincake

Andres

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2015, 03:03:35 am »

Lore is knowledge. Intelligence is knowledge while wisdom is merely "what should I do?"
All fanfics are heresy, each and every one, especially the shipping ones. Those are by far the worst.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2015, 03:21:47 am »

Lore is knowledge. Intelligence is knowledge while wisdom is merely "what should I do?"
Sorry, I was thinking of Spot and that.
Wisdom is down to the player, I suppose.
So we've gotten rid of Wisdom.
thincake

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2015, 09:52:49 am »

Humm, I would certainly be interested in this game. Either as a player, or even a co-gm/helper.

Knowing Monster Hunter... why not just do armor skills? The actual game lacks all of the things that you described- there are no stats on the character, only weapons and armor. Make the character development akin to the game- you build better armor and weapons to make yourself better.

I don't know it much (I watched the Game Grumps special on it and enjoyed that quite a lot, though), but generally what you are suggesting is just to tie the stats into equipment? Assume everyones starts as 1/1/1/1/1/1 base?

I think that would work. And less numbers to fiddle around with in character creation.

Also, I wouldn't totally count out using 5e D&D as a framework-it's pretty easy to convert stuff from other editions. You could have things to work with.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Urist Arrhenius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2015, 10:06:27 am »

Color me interested, regardless of the skill system.
We're all just Simple Folk trying to get by.

You can also watch me learn to draw.

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2015, 12:06:55 pm »

Heh, right. So if equipment is to be a focus, what would people prefer: using the existing (and expansive) roster, creating our own equipment somehow, or a bit of both (which I like the sound of?

Also, if stats are done by equipment, I assume we have a base character and then modify via equipment. How do define a base character?
thincake

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 26, 2015, 12:25:16 pm »

There... isn't really a base character. Your attack and defense is strictly based on equipment- no armor, no defense; no weapon, no attack.
I know: I mean standard health etc.
thincake

Aslandus

• Bay Watcher
  • Slowly descending into madness
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 26, 2015, 12:57:26 pm »

I feel like it would be fun to add some aspects of Shadow of the Colossus, maybe have it so we can climb onto bigger monsters and jab right into their weak spots if we can keep a grip on them... I don't know D&D rules very well apart from "roll 20 sided die, higher number is better" so I can't really comment on them...

I also think there needs to be a different skill system, socializing has never been a big part of hunting monsters, and you're not going to find many wyverns that would be willing to talk it out just because you have a pretty smile or know a lot about the mythos... Equipment is where most of your damage and toughness comes from, but there's also things like cooking and crafting which make the entire thing more complex, especially since most of the justification for different "classes" would be the weapons we wield (hammer guy needs tougher armor than the gunner, spear guy can afford to skimp on armor because of his huge shield, etc).

Some basic questions would include: Would our characters be making food and armor themselves or going to a town to do it? Would we be trying to haggle down the people or are they just giving us the lowest price they can since we're big strong monster killers? Are we going to hunt around a map and fight smaller monster like Jaggi as well as the big guys or are we just going to skip all that and fall right on top of the dragons and giant apes when we enter the area? Do we also have things like herbs that we can/must collect or are we trimming it down to just fighting?

And then other questions like, what monsters do we include?

Adragis

• Bay Watcher
  • Edgelady Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 26, 2015, 01:03:59 pm »

Right
my idea for the thing (rules excepting) is this
We all get together and there is some vague storyline
We go out and kill stuff with more awesomeness than the videogames by the power of absolute free will
We make stuff out of them and brag about it
Hilarity ensues

As for what monsters to include, I'm inclined to go with a selection of those from the games, as well as a few new ones.
Cooking and crafting are indeed a main issue: I think for fun's sake that technicalities like crafting skills etc. should be rendered immaterial. You use what you've got and make cool stuff out of it, you can even design it yourself as long as it makes sense.

Shadow of the Colossus style things are gr8 m8 and I need to work out a system for that.

I mainly intended for this to be a less linearly-designed RTD with fewer 'fixed rules', but that could lead to 'too easy' syndrome involving clever people doing stuff that, while logical, is, well, too easy.
thincake

Rolepgeek

• Bay Watcher
  • They see me rollin' they savin'~
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 26, 2015, 02:19:38 pm »

This seems interesting.

I can watch/play mebbe.
Sincerely, Role P. Geek

Optimism is Painful.
Optimize anyway.