Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 40

Author Topic: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 55)  (Read 89304 times)

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 18)
« Reply #195 on: May 01, 2015, 04:24:39 am »

Gather back the slime, and see where the other person the noblewoman talked to went. If possible, try to ask him why his cat attacked me.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: May 01, 2015, 03:49:28 pm »

Roll 19

grab the inked schematic, then peer down the hatch to see if I can see anything.

A closer look at the schematic reveals that the described item is a trap of sorts, triggered by the pull of a wire.

[5][5] As you look into the hatch, your companion Zikal decides to enter directly by charging down the stairs. You spot a glint of steel set at the base of the stairs, however, and are able to warn him before he steps on it.

Your left arm is bruised (1)

You have a schematic of an iron arrow trap

You have a steel axe (Attack power: 1) (Deals piercing damage if the attack connects but fails to pierce)
You have an iron mace (Attack power: 2) (If the target has less than 2 damage, deals piercing damage)

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have 13 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

Thoughtform always finds new ways to dazzle me.

Convert the dagger back into memory, then  follow Wilhelm into the open hatch.

The dagger, no matter what you do, cannot be recalled to memory. Either the dagger you hold is the real thing, or you've somehow acquired an object whose memories are immune to dispel effects.

[6][6] You charge headlong into the dark passage without prior knowledge, dodging a tripwire that you only discovered because Wilhelm called out to you. Leaping over the wire and coming to a stop past the entrance to a long, dark hall with no lighting, you disarm the trap (by unhooking the wire) and find it riveted to the wall.

You have just entered the Hidden Passage. Due to lighting, the targets of all characters without night vision gain a positive die for defense rolls.

The passage is long and dim, with burnt-out light fixtures set every few yards along the walls. There are several rooms that branch out from the hall with no doorway, mostly bedrooms and sleeping quarters. Additionally, you find an armory with a wide variety of weapons (of differing qualities, hinting that they were stolen), but no armor or helmets. This armory has a doorway, unlike the bedrooms and quarters.
There is also a very small library with a door, a chair, a desk, and a single bookshelf on the rear wall. The books are all novellas and historical treatises--nothing you aren't aware of. The study is clear of all papers, though there is a quill dipped in a vial of sticky red fluid. On the walls are paintings of cities and castles from ancient times, replicas of famous paintings. While it's probably all stolen, those running the show here certainly know class.
There is one more room at the end of the hall with a great iron door and a round handle much like that of a vault or hatch. There are no locks visible, however. You faintly hear the dripping of water through the metal door.

You have a stack of spell tome pages and a black cover

You have a bloodied ceremonial dagger (Attack power: 3) (attaches to target and Drains it, suppressing it) (remembering a memory teleports this weapon to your hand)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories (lucid)
You have about thirty Hours
You have a royal goblet, a golden watch, and some jewelry

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

"Klein, stay quiet. Bad cat. I have someone to catch, I'll get ya to that man so ya can sniff his pocket later."

Subtlety is not my style. Charge and tackle, I say.

Something you've noticed now, but not previously, is that it seems unusually warm outside. While the winds were cold, they are not only clearing up, but the gaze of the suns are warm on your skin. Ash does appear unnaturally bright at the moment...

[2][6] You outright charge from where you are, leaving no chance to be spotted in your glamorous outfit before you sufficiently close the distance. The astrologer switched to burgher clothes, so he looks like an ordinary worker.
(1)(5)/(3) By the time the target sees you charging, you are already upon him! You leap atop him, tackling him to the ground and using the barrel of your gun as a bar to hold against his neck.
Instead of struggling, however, he starts to beg.
Astrologer: You got me! What are you going to do, kill me? I only killed the bartender because he took my gun... I just needed the papers. I need to keep these papers from reaching the Office!

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

Gather back the slime, and see where the other person the noblewoman talked to went. If possible, try to ask him why his cat attacked me.

[4][5] You heard the soldier go back on the street with the inn, so perhaps he was simply returning to finish a drink or something. You follow him back and notice a bit of commotion coming over the row of buildings to your right--from the marketplace which can be accessed through an alley across from the inn.

The soldier himself is not in the inn. You spot the guard that had run off to inform the Duchess at one point, and he salutes when you pass him. The most likely other place, assuming you did not pass the soldier without noticing him, is the marketplace. And surely enough, you find him tackling a citizen in front of a medicine stand.

You have a green poison slime with Paralysis

You remember a red, blue, and a green spell-slime (weak)

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have about seventy-five Hours

I leap off the balcony and glide/fly to the nearby rooftops, then circle around to see what that dust cloud is coming from.

[1][6] You swoop down and land on top of a building with a large bronze globe on the top. The globe is fully ornamental, but it casts a shadow that allows you to hide as you look on.

The dust cloud is being caused by some kind of animal gliding across the streets. It appears to be mounted by a small girl in a lime-green dress--you question the practicality of the arrangement. But despite the unlikeliness of the setup, the gliding-creature and rider seem to be successfully hunting a person in a black and white suit. The animal, a flat chevron-shaped creature with a long tail, first strikes the target with its tail, curling around the human and snaring him momentarily before taking the human to the ground. The girl then dismounts and threatens the human with something in her hand.

It is the 3rd hour after noon, and the Twin Suns are obscured by a cloudy blanket. (Next hour: Turn 22)
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 19)
« Reply #197 on: May 01, 2015, 09:58:20 pm »

Move closer, that looks interesting. Watch what happens and where they go.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: May 02, 2015, 06:18:29 am »

Make the slime stick to my shoulder, and form another slime, this one being acoustic. It stores air in a chamber inside it. With it, ask the person what is going on. (No idea how I should make an acoustic slime.)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 02, 2015, 08:53:04 pm »

"Thanks for that." I should probably be more careful in a cultist hideout.

Look for something to clean the bloody dagger, then cautiously listen further near the suspicious door.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: May 02, 2015, 09:42:25 pm »

The mercenary keeps the man properly pinned under him, not in the mood to let his catch escape again. "Trying to fool me then running away hasn't endeared me to ya. Now, I want a good and proper explanation before things get nasty, ya get me? What are those papers, why can't they reach the Office?" Leonhard asks with the stare of a man who has killed dozens and isn't going to shy away from adding one more to the count in case things don't go his way.

Hopefully some proper exposition.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: May 03, 2015, 02:37:53 am »

((I'm going to split the roll again if Pancek doesn't reply soon, but I have a quick question))

Make the slime stick to my shoulder, and form another slime, this one being acoustic. It stores air in a chamber inside it. With it, ask the person what is going on. (No idea how I should make an acoustic slime.)

Where are you planning to get the material for the slime? Take apart the green one? You could also buy organic material since you are in a marketplace with lots of food.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: May 03, 2015, 04:58:52 am »

try to find soething to make some light. carefully inspect the armoury for any good stuff

Pencil_Art

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: May 03, 2015, 05:23:32 am »

((I'm going to split the roll again if Pancek doesn't reply soon, but I have a quick question))

Where are you planning to get the material for the slime? Take apart the green one? You could also buy organic material since you are in a marketplace with lots of food.

Hmm. Look for other moss and lichen, and if that is not enough, then take apart the other one.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: May 03, 2015, 04:35:03 pm »

((For future reference, damage done to bodyparts by different damage types (burning, bruising, slashing, etc) will add up, so if you take 2 burn damage and 2 weapon damage, you only have 1 hit left on that bodypart.))

Roll 20

"Thanks for that." I should probably be more careful in a cultist hideout.

Look for something to clean the bloody dagger, then cautiously listen further near the suspicious door.

The blood seems to be trapped inside channels between the dagger's teeth. It'll be difficult to clean it without water, which you cannot locate anywhere inside the hideout. The dripping from beyond the iron door is likely coming from running water, though.

[4][5] You hear faint movements from beyond the door, as well as a barely audible sigh.
Wilhelm tries to start a fire by bashing some weapons together over a lamp. But something happens and you find yourself blacked out momentarily. When you wake up, you are heavily burned, and the iron door seems to have been blown inward off its hinges. The door is now a crumpled mess against the far side of the chamber it protected: a small rocky cave with a pool of water to one side, with water pouring down from a spring in the ceiling. Mushrooms grow along the banks of the pool and glowing fungi along the rough cave ceiling.

You hear a girl sobbing inside the cave.

Your whole body is burned (1)

You have a stack of spell tome pages and a black cover

You have a bloodied ceremonial dagger (Attack power: 3) (attaches to target and Drains it, suppressing it) (remembering a memory teleports this weapon to your hand)

You have a Beech Javelin (Attack power: 3 (thrown), 1 (stab))
You have 10 Javelin memories (lucid)
You have about thirty Hours
You have a royal goblet, a golden watch, and some jewelry

You remember the Lady of Winter
You remember a giant eye
You remember many pixies
You remember a band of Arinthian soldiers and some bandits
You remember a bandit sinking into the ground

try to find soething to make some light. carefully inspect the armoury for any good stuff

[5][5] You pick out a wicked halberd (2ap, long reach, gets +1 positive die to offense rolls vs targets that can't close the gap),
a steel crossbow (5ap, but cannot be charged during combat),
and an ornate bow carved out of some ruby-like substance, glamorously reflective despite the dim conditions (unknown).

[6][6] You thought for sure that there would be a storage room with food and more importantly some cooking tools or oil, but alas there is not. Perhaps it's behind the big iron door. You check some of the lanterns on the wall instead and fortunately, there is oil inside. But you need something to ignite it with. You decide that bashing two pieces of metal together would be the best way to do it, so you take two trash weapons from the armory and create a spark over an open lantern.
The next thing you remember is there being a great big fire, and yourself being thrown away from the wall by some huge explosion, just before blacking out.

When you wake up, you feel burns along your entire body, as if a single spark had just ignited all the air in the room. Curiously, nothing seems to be ablaze, although there has been other damage to the items in the hideout. The library is a mess, and the weapons in the armory have been scattered about. The iron door has been ripped off its hinges, blown into a small cave on the other side.
You also hear sobbing, coming from a young woman inside the cave.

Your whole body is burned (1)
Your left arm is bruised (1)

You have a schematic of an iron arrow trap

You have a steel axe (Attack power: 1) (Deals piercing damage if the attack connects but fails to pierce)
You have an iron mace (Attack power: 2) (If the target has less than 2 damage, deals piercing damage)

You have a charged large greatbow (Attack power: 3 (charged), 1 (uncharged)) (charging takes one turn of preparation)
You have 13 arrows in your quiver (Attack power: 1)
There is one recoverable arrow near the Old Fortress Mound
You have an important scroll in a copper cylinder
You have about one hundred Hours

The mercenary keeps the man properly pinned under him, not in the mood to let his catch escape again. "Trying to fool me then running away hasn't endeared me to ya. Now, I want a good and proper explanation before things get nasty, ya get me? What are those papers, why can't they reach the Office?" Leonhard asks with the stare of a man who has killed dozens and isn't going to shy away from adding one more to the count in case things don't go his way.

Hopefully some proper exposition.

Astrologer: A lad like you wouldn't know what we're talking about, but if you won't kill me I'll give ya a lecture. See, last month a Zin by the name of Ilya Motorov presented a paper to the Office analyzing discrepancies between modern and historical records of the moon's appearance. He was promptly murdered by an infamous mercenary named Kari, along with the reviewer in possession of the paper at the time.
Astrologer: The Kaiserin's investigators traced the contract back to an Elvish astronomy circle in the state of Wallace. High King Lancaster ordered the circle to desist, which they supposedly did, so I went about trying to replicate Motorov's findings and submitted a paper just two days ago. But yesterday, somehow, an attempt on my life was made again by that vile mercenary. She claimed that she was contacted again to make sure those papers disappear. My papers were in my friend's possession at the time, so I tracked him down to this city and came to warn him, and to get rid of the papers.
Astrologer: You see? My actions were all in good faith, I swear! The bartender only died because he escalated the situation. He took my gun right outta my hand! I had to keep the guy from shooting me with it.

The young man from before (who was also invited to the palace) shows up, having tracked you to this location somehow. Could it--no, Kari is a she.

You have a Zweihänder slung on your shoulder (Attack power: 4) (can only be used offensively every other turn)
You have a Katzbalger (Attack power: 2)
You have an arquebus (Attack power: 3) (Your opponent gets an extra positive die to dodge)
You are wearing light plate armor (incoming attacks lose 1 attack power if over 1)
You have about one hundred and fifty Hours

Hmm. Look for other moss and lichen, and if that is not enough, then take apart the other one.

[4][6] Using what you know about acoustics, you design a hollow slime with a large, resonant cavity inside of it. Since you can't easily control the shape of irregular spaces in a slime, you can only make it mostly spherical. As such, it will only resonate with sounds as low as those created by blowing over the neck of a jug. However, it will be sufficient for your needs. You add a tongue and an opening in the top that allows the creation to draw in air.
You need material for this slime, [6][1] so you scrounge about for spare material. There are many horsecarts present and most of them are filled with straw, so it is easy to find discarded straw strewn about on the ground. You gather what you can up into a bunch, and then commit the design.
Your actions draw some condescending looks from nobles and burghers that saw you picking straw off the ground, since they cannot really comprehend what you are doing.

But with the new slime, you are capable of speech. You are limited to the lower octaves, and your voice really doesn't sound human. Still, for a man who could never talk his whole life, it is quite a surprise that you even got it to work.
You walk in on the soldier, who is currently interrogating some criminal on the ground.
((He's Caellath, so I'll have to leave the dialogue to you two))

You have a green poison slime with Paralysis

You remember a red, blue, and a green spell-slime (weak)

You have a spiny walking stick (Attack power: (attacking head) 2, (attacking other parts) 1)
You have a silversteel falchion (Attack power: (on odd swings) 3, (on even swings) 2)
You remember your time in the wilderness well
You have some sandwiches and citrus
You have a Sprite Trap, labelled with the words "Samantha Magdelene, professor at U.T"
You have seventy-five Hours

Move closer, that looks interesting. Watch what happens and where they go.

[4][5] You remain hidden.

The girl appears to say something and returns the knife to her sleeve. The manta ray then leaps in and devours the victim as the girl walks away.

After the ray is finished, the girl steps on the creature again and starts heading toward the university, leaving behind the screaming peasants and burghers. They encounter a squadron of guards, so the manta takes to the rooftops by apparently clinging less than a foot off the wall and pushing itself upward with its tail. They continue in your direction, eliciting much commotion among the pedestrians.

You hear a conversation below you happening. It turns out to be taking place on a raised deck connected to the building just under the roof upon which you are standing.
Person A: Now this is one of my most recent acquisitions. It is a spellbook that can be cast as many times as you want, although you must recite an incantation to trigger it unlike most tomes. Do you wish to try it?
Person B: I would be glad.
You hear the book being handed over. Person B mutters something in Ontic: "Illuminate the path before me"
Person A: It seems you're expecting it to work by itself, but that's not the case. You have to think in Ontic, not just pronounce the syllables.
Person B: Uh, alright then... Crumpets! Tea! Tally ho!
Immediately, you notice a white light emanating from below the roof. You see its projection on the wall of the building across the street.

Person A: You've summoned the spirit inside the book. You can ask it to change the mind of anyone you want, and if it agrees with you it will do it. Do not mock it, though, or it will make you forget you ever had such power available to you.

It is the 3rd hour after noon, and the Twin Suns are obscured by a cloudy blanket. (Next hour: Turn 22)

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pastblasters - Adventures in Wizardry (Turn 20)
« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2015, 05:37:19 pm »

...How exactly did I survive something like that? "Uhh, hello? Is someone there?"

Walk thorugh the destoryed door and try to find the sobbing girl.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: May 04, 2015, 05:45:43 pm »

"Ow. S-sorry..P-puppy..."

Grab the ornate bow and follow my compandre to seek the damsel in distress. Inspect bow if I get the chance.

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: May 04, 2015, 05:58:11 pm »

"Where is your friend and what was the real reason for the fight with the innkeeper? Was it ya telling his business sucked? Don't think so after all that. Why was that room all messed up? I want all the truth. All o' it." he grumbles, at least letting the man breathe properly but keeping him pinned to the ground, all the while keeping a watchful eye on the newcomer. "And ya?"

More explanations are in order.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: May 04, 2015, 06:42:33 pm »

wait, watch, and listen
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: May 04, 2015, 08:46:18 pm »

...How exactly did I survive something like that? "Uhh, hello? Is someone there?"

Walk thorugh the destoryed door and try to find the sobbing girl.
"Ow. S-sorry..P-puppy..."

Grab the ornate bow and follow my compandre to seek the damsel in distress. Inspect bow if I get the chance.

As you both start walking, the sobbing ends suddenly. In a movement which can only be judged as fast, the head of a girl pops out. She is wearing two red pond lilies like bows in her tangled green hair, which appears very long and is probably dragging across the ground just out of view.

Unknown: You survived! I thought I'd failed to save you two. It happened so quickly... but I'm so glad you're alright! Is Master gone?
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 40